This has kept me busy for quite awhile

I need some more seat time before I decide on revalving. I had my WR-450 completely revalved by a RaceTech distributor and so far, I'm liking the YZ suspension even better.

The transmission is MUCH better offroad than the stock YZ. I may still drop a tooth on the countershaft sprocket since 5th gear is taller than I need anywhere but on on the highway and it wouldn't hurt to gear down a slight bit more in 1st.

The transmission is MUCH better offroad than the stock YZ. I may still drop a tooth on the countershaft sprocket since 5th gear is taller than I need anywhere but on on the highway and it wouldn't hurt to gear down a slight bit more in 1st.

Did you put the complete transmission in or did you just change 3,4 and 5th gear

Did you put the complete transmission in or did you just change 3,4 and 5th gear

1st through 5th are all from the WR. I bought the entire set of WR transmission parts so swapping it out was very easy. Combined with the extra displacement, the wider range works great.

James

Staff member
I need some more seat time before I decide on revalving. I had my WR-450 completely revalved by a RaceTech distributor and so far, I'm liking the YZ suspension even better.

Just to confirm, you did set the rear sag and also confirmed that the fork springs are for your weight?

Just to confirm, you did set the rear sag and also confirmed that the fork springs are for your weight?

Yes sir! If you don't have the sag set correctly on that bike, it feels like the front end is always riding on ice. (As well as raising the forks in the clamps 10mm.)

I got the jetting cleaned up and it has made me question the need to drop a tooth on the front sprocket. Even so, the very bottom end still does not compare to the grunt of the WR-450. However, it will pull the front end up very easily once you get the RPMs up a little. The powerband has three "levels" and is very manageable, even without a flywheel weight, but it is VERY easy to kill the engine with the rear brake. It doesn't bog if you try to roll the throttle on in too high of a gear, it just feels flat. I'm very happy with the transmission spacing and spread and will probably try the flywheel weight; I just don't want it to tame the power delivery too much. It's hard to resist the temptation to ride it on the pipe all of the time; I may just have to stock up on rear tires. :banana:

After additional back-to-back rides between this bike and my WR-450, it is evident that the Race Tech Gold valves and revalving on the 450 are "plusher" over rocks, ruts, and washboard. Some of this might be attributed to the additional weight of the 450. The YZ has a more progressive feel on the big stuff and isn't bad over the little stuff, but isn't as plush. I will very likely revalve them at the end of the season, just because I'm spoiled, but it is definitely rideable in its stock configuration.

The lighter weight of the YZ is very apparent and it sure makes it easier to slow down and make corrections, both in the air and on the ground. It's an absolute hoot to go into the corners sideways due to entering a little too fast! It doesn't wear you out as much trying to move the bike around, but it requires more effort shifting and more judicious throttle control.

I'll have to modify my license plate mount; the back tire grabbed the plate at full travel and completely bent it up under the fender. I'm lucky that it didn't grab the mount, itself, and rip off the entire fender.

I originally had thoughts of selling my 450, but after 6 years of riding and tweaking it, I'm not ready to give it up. It's fun being able to pick a bike for each ride/trail and, no, there is no way I'm selling the YZ. :thumb: