The Guns Thread

James

Staff member
Here's some real pictures of the AR-15

168487_183744131650460_100000446240495_547493_3982266_n.jpg

Magpul flip up sight
167297_183744198317120_100000446240495_547495_418660_n.jpg
:thumb: Pretty sweet.

I still need to get a rifle, just in case the government gets that stupid idea to ban assault rifles again. :foul:

A story of my invention that had already been invented.

I was sitting in Biology today, I finished all my work a week ago. And I want to be a firearms/ballistics engineer, so I was thinking to my self, "I need to think of a badass rifle bullet design". So, I drew up a design that could be shot accurately but yet provide a devastating wound channel or hydrostatic shock. My design was a hollowed out lead lower part of the bullet with a copper jacket. Then the tip was a solid copper tip. Once the tip hits the target, it jams down into the hollowed lower and spreads out. This gives the flatter trajectory and accuracy of a traditional spitzer type pointed bullet, and also the devastating effect of a hollow point-like bullet. I was all excited about my creation and what I drew up so I showed my friend at lunch. He'd never heard of anything like it. Later that day, I was on the internet checking to see if it has been invented. And sure enough, it had. Not exactly like mine though, but enough to knock me down a few notches. This type of bullet is called a Ballistic tip or Plastic tip. Nosler Ballistic tips seem to be the most popular with it.

NO30168.jpg

338-bullets2.jpg

I can't believe it! :foul:

I don't think the plastic really does much to deform the rest of the projectile. I'm pretty sure it just disintegrates to let the bullet expand like a regular hollowpoint does.

One I find interesting is the older Soviet 7N1 SVD sniper round. It was a jacketed steel core backed by a lead knocker. I have yet to find any, but I guess it does a real number on soft targets.

I don't think the plastic really does much to deform the rest of the projectile. I'm pretty sure it just disintegrates to let the bullet expand like a regular hollowpoint does.

One I find interesting is the older Soviet 7N1 SVD sniper round. It was a jacketed steel core backed by a lead knocker. I have yet to find any, but I guess it does a real number on soft targets.

Yeah, who knows. I think when I read about it, it said it either shatters or gets pushed in. But either way, it gets the job of expansion done. I wonder if I were to someday do it my way with the copper tip and lead jacked hollowed lower, it could be a little bit better. Who knows though. If I could think of this in 30 minutes in a day, maybe I can think of something else! :ride:

Very cool! Can you find any information on it? I'm getting more and more interested with ballistics.

Yeah, who knows. I think when I read about it, it said it either shatters or gets pushed in. But either way, it gets the job of expansion done. I wonder if I were to someday do it my way with the copper tip and lead jacked hollowed lower, it could be a little bit better. Who knows though. If I could think of this in 30 minutes in a day, maybe I can think of something else! :ride:

Very cool! Can you find any information on it? I'm getting more and more interested with ballistics.

Everyone knew about those explodey shooty things :devil:

7.62x54R.net did baseline testing on the 7N1 as well as just about all other 7.62x54R milsurp seen in the last 10-20 years. The only cross-section photo I could find was from wikipedia. You'll notice that the overall design is very similar to the plastic-tipped type except that the core has two parts.

If you haven't watched this already, I highly recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo030.htm

Props to Smith and Wesson and Ruger!

I had problems with a S&W model 22S semi-auto .22 cal target grade pistol with mis-feeds. I made a call, and they sent me a Fed-Ex shipping label. They fixed it for free and sent it back to me at no charge with an extra magazine!

My older S&W model 586 .357 Magnum had the thumb release on the cylinder crack and fall off. I got a new one in the mail!

Ruger is just as good! I have a 10/22 that I just shot the living shit out of, literally, 10's of thousands of rounds through high cap mags and 50 round barrels, and it began to mis-feed. I wore 2 barrels out on this thing, and they fixed the receiver with new parts for free!

I will buy more of their products in the future! I have a CWP, and am considering Ruger's "The Judge" wheel gun as my choice over the .380 spit-ball shooter that I carry now. :thumb:

Why can't motorcycle manufacturers do this! :smirk: