The Guns Thread

I wouldn't hit a dead horse with Lee equipment. It was my first reloader and a total POS. Get a Dillon (the best) or an RCBS. The RCBS rock chucker is a solid press and will last forever. It is also the easiest to use and adjust and can any round from rifle to handgun.

If you reload shotshells, go with MEC.

You can find all of these on Flea-Bay / Craigslist cheap if you wait for the right deal.

I'll see what I can do! I was trying to go cheap, and it seems like the Lee Precision does it's job, but I could try for a better kit or a station at that. Price is the issue here, but if I see a used one it shouldn't be too bad.

We wanna start reloading shot shells too. I gotta look into that more though.

You left out the cost of brass. If it's from commercial rounds that you bought new, include the original $1.00 on top of the reload cost. The price per round will go down each time a round is reloaded. If you get four reloads after the original, then 1.00 + (4 x 0.25) = 2.00. Divide by five total loads and it comes out to $0.40/round plus time spent and equipment cost.

I'll see what I can do! I was trying to go cheap, and it seems like the Lee Precision does it's job, but I could try for a better kit or a station at that. Price is the issue here, but if I see a used one it shouldn't be too bad.

We wanna start reloading shot shells too. I gotta look into that more though.

This is a really good deal on a new press: http://cgi.ebay.com/RCBS-Rock-Chuck...aultDomain_0&hash=item53e460f165#ht_500wt_919

Dies: http://cgi.ebay.com/RCBS-Reloading-...aultDomain_0&hash=item1e60978176#ht_500wt_919

I don't think you realize all the things you need to reload! Calipers, priming tool, case trimmers, powder droppers, scales, reloading manual, and a ton of other optional stuff that makes life easier. That is why the Rock Chucker is an excellent deal. You can start reloading immediately with this kit. You will still need to buy the complete set of dies for each caliber as well. That $22 Lee piece won't even get you close to beingable to load your first shell!

For a few more bucks, I use the Dillon 550B. Here is a good deal on one: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dillon-550B...ultDomain_0&hash=item5641d5cde8#ht_4083wt_902

You left out the cost of brass. If it's from commercial rounds that you bought new, include the original $1.00 on top of the reload cost. The price per round will go down each time a round is reloaded. If you get four reloads after the original, then 1.00 + (4 x 0.25) = 2.00. Divide by five total loads and it comes out to $0.40/round plus time spent and equipment cost.

I see how that works. I'm not really going to worry about the cost of brass, I purposely left it out. At the moment, I have around 60 empty rounds laying around from past shots. I want to also still buy so I can keep a lot of ammo and reload the new ones I shoot. Basically, I'm getting 2 shots for around $1.25, right? We like to stock up on our ammo just in case SHTF, so I'm guessing I can keep reloading 20 rounds of the same brass just for target on my land. Have my 20 rounds of quality ammo for hunting. And then my stock pile. I guess if I wanted to, I could buy new brass and then reload those as well. As you can see, I haven't put much thought into this and I'm now starting to blabber. :smirk:

This is a really good deal on a new press: http://cgi.ebay.com/RCBS-Rock-Chuck...aultDomain_0&hash=item53e460f165#ht_500wt_919

Dies: http://cgi.ebay.com/RCBS-Reloading-...aultDomain_0&hash=item1e60978176#ht_500wt_919

I don't think you realize all the things you need to reload! Calipers, priming tool, case trimmers, powder droppers, scales, reloading manual, and a ton of other optional stuff that makes life easier. That is why the Rock Chucker is an excellent deal. You can start reloading immediately with this kit. You will still need to buy the complete set of dies for each caliber as well. That $22 Lee piece won't even get you close to beingable to load your first shell!

:shocked: Did you see the price on that station?? Come on Buck, I'm 15 with too many expensive hobbies. :P

Nope, $22 will get me a full reload set. Here, I'll show ya.
Here's the set: http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CEkQ8wIwAA#

And here's a demonstration. A reload in 40 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc&feature=related

While that Lee kit will work, Buckrun is speaking from experience. A "real" press is a lot better. Reloading is kind of an endless hobby as there are always more gizmos to buy. For example the powder measure in that kit is just a little scoop. Not exactly the best. Save up some cash and keep an eye on craigslist. You need cash on hand when a good deal shows up.

While you are waiting read up so you know what you really need and how it works. You don't want to be making mistakes with reloading.

i havn't read everything in this thread but tonight i shot a 500mag Smith and Wesson :shocked: :banana:i guess i wasn't gripping it hard enough or something and it double fired on me :eek:

right now i own a .357mag, 30-30 lever and a 20 gauge pump... i had been shooting .38 outta my .357 cause thats what i got handed down to me but i bought some .357 a couple weeks ago and wow what a difference that round is!

I see how that works. I'm not really going to worry about the cost of brass, I purposely left it out. At the moment, I have around 60 empty rounds laying around from past shots. I want to also still buy so I can keep a lot of ammo and reload the new ones I shoot. Basically, I'm getting 2 shots for around $1.25, right? We like to stock up on our ammo just in case SHTF, so I'm guessing I can keep reloading 20 rounds of the same brass just for target on my land. Have my 20 rounds of quality ammo for hunting. And then my stock pile. I guess if I wanted to, I could buy new brass and then reload those as well. As you can see, I haven't put much thought into this and I'm now starting to blabber. :smirk:

hey you left out the 2,000 rounds for the zombie apocalypse:P

While that Lee kit will work, Buckrun is speaking from experience. A "real" press is a lot better. Reloading is kind of an endless hobby as there are always more gizmos to buy. For example the powder measure in that kit is just a little scoop. Not exactly the best. Save up some cash and keep an eye on craigslist. You need cash on hand when a good deal shows up.

While you are waiting read up so you know what you really need and how it works. You don't want to be making mistakes with reloading.

Sounds fine to me! But, I'd like to start with this reloading kit and then step up to a better set up when I get more into it. I like the idea of making my own ammunition and having a lot of different bullets to choose from and keep the price relatively low. Thanks for the advice! And you too, Buck. :thumb:

i havn't read everything in this thread but tonight i shot a 500mag Smith and Wesson :shocked: :banana:i guess i wasn't gripping it hard enough or something and it double fired on me :eek:

right now i own a .357mag, 30-30 lever and a 20 gauge pump... i had been shooting .38 outta my .357 cause thats what i got handed down to me but i bought some .357 a couple weeks ago and wow what a difference that round is!

Sweet! I want to shoot one sometime. That recoil looks insane.
Also, we need pictures! :P

hey you left out the 2,000 rounds for the zombie apocalypse:P

Well, of course! We're kind of apocalypse nuts. Not too bad, but we're preparing for anything. Not zombies though, an economic downfall! Zombies are cool too, though. :smirk:

I can't believe I forgot to post about this in here. We bought an AR-15 home from the gun show Saturday. It's an Aero Precision .223 (5.56x45). If you aint aware of the company, they supposedly make lower receivers for the Colt AR's and also for another company. The rifle came with four 30 round magazines, flip up sight, 6 position stock, and some other nic-nacs.

10.jpg

I'll get some better pictures of it, rather than this cell phone picture.

Didn't think a .223 would be so loud, so I skipped out on ear protection. 60 rounds through that thing, OUCH. How do they do it in the military? :thinking:

I can't believe I forgot to post about this in here. We bought an AR-15 home from the gun show Saturday. It's an Aero Precision .223 (5.56x45). If you aint aware of the company, they supposedly make lower receivers for the Colt AR's and also for another company. The rifle came with four 30 round magazines, flip up sight, 6 position stock, and some other nic-nacs.

10.jpg

I'll get some better pictures of it, rather than this cell phone picture.

Didn't think a .223 would be so loud, so I skipped out on ear protection. 60 rounds through that thing, OUCH. How do they do it in the military? :thinking:

nice gun, how much did it cost?

haha, its nice when a redneck family shares a gun:P. geez 1k thats almost what i gave for my dirt bike

:lol::lol: Yup, it was a little much. Eventually, I want to buy an upper and lower receiver and parts to build my own AR-15. I would only have to spend around $550.

:lol::lol: Yup, it was a little much. Eventually, I want to buy an upper and lower receiver and parts to build my own AR-15. I would only have to spend around $550.

i know where you can buy the complete disasymbled gun for around $700 well not complete it dosent come with a receiver but im sure you could flebay one