Testing A Two-Stroke?

Hey yall. Monday I'm going to be going to check out a 2001 RM125. :banana:
I have no idea what to look for in a 2 stroke though. What are some things I should look out for on these bikes? I don't wanna get ripped off!

Thanks a lot!:thumb:

Well an 01 RM125 is an awesome MX bike. Motor wise what you want to do is replace the top end immediately. Thats the 1st rule of buying a 2T. 2nd rule is don't believe anything the seller tells you.
Things you should look for are misplaced nuts and bolts, non factory bolts (hardware store bolts) worn engine cases, stripped bolts etc etc. Anything Cosmeticly faulty.
I always look for spooge around the exhaust. If there are significant amounts of spooge around the silencer and around the exhaust port then chances are he just rode the bike and not to its full potential which is good. It means the internals are not that beat up.
A good used RM125 in this economy will hit you at about 1100..
My buddy Tony has an 01 RM125 and that bike is FAST!!!!!! ride it hard, maintain it and that bike will shoot you to the moon! :thumb:

everything these guys said. but honestly i dont change the top end unless he ran a bad pre mix or it feels like it needs it. also ask how often he changed the oil/air filter. i have a 01 rm 250 project bike and every1 iv talked to says that the older 1s burn through clutches all the time. idk just wat i heard

iv been told to ask he seller if i could take off the exuast and look up onto 6the cyl at the pist to so if it was worn.

oh btw :devil: welcome to the dark side, we've been expecting you :devil:

Thanks everyone! But, Mihylo, I don't think I can replace the top end soon. I'm using all the money I got on this bike. But he says it's got a "new" piston, rings, sleeved, and rebuilt water pump. I never asked about hours though. Do you think it'll be fine if I dont rebuild it?

For reference, here's the bike.
http://lynchburg.craigslist.org/mcy/2335180831.html

oh btw :devil: welcome to the dark side, we've been expecting you :devil:

:devil: I'm already feeling that evil inside me, and my blood is mixing...

If you are dead set on getting that bike.. Do a compression check... and leak down test.. If they both check out.. And it runs good.. shifts through all the gears... clutchs feel good... good tires and brakes and what not... A grand is an ok price i would think...Ask about receipts... or Who did the sleeveing and rebuild... Ask him what he mixes his oil to.. And what kind of oil... Make sure hes not been running the bike with some crazy ass mix

Check fork seals.. and shocks also...

Alot of people dont like sleeving a nikasilled cylinder.. So for you will have people saying its ok.. And people saying not to do it... My suggestion is just read and do what you want... There is a thread here somewhere that i made ...Its a poll asking to sleeve or not to sleeve.... And its got alot of good info on what people think about it....

If you are dead set on getting that bike.. Do a compression check... and leak down test.. If they both check out.. And it runs good.. shifts through all the gears... clutchs feel good... good tires and brakes and what not... A grand is an ok price i would think...Ask about receipts... or Who did the sleeveing and rebuild... Ask him what he mixes his oil to.. And what kind of oil... Make sure hes not been running the bike with some crazy ass mix

Check fork seals.. and shocks also...

I can't do a compression test or a leak down test. I don't have any of the instruments to measure that. Will it be fine if I just feel for the compression at the kickstart? He says he does have receipts for the sleeving and rebuild. And I'll check bearings, seals, mix, etc.

Alot of people dont like sleeving a nikasilled cylinder.. So for you will have people saying its ok.. And people saying not to do it... My suggestion is just read and do what you want... There is a thread here somewhere that i made ...Its a poll asking to sleeve or not to sleeve.... And its got alot of good info on what people think about it....

Ok! Thanks a lot. :thumb:

Man if you are planning on getting a 2 stroke .. You should go to harbor freight or some some place and buy a cheap compression gauge... I think i gave like 20 bucks for mine...

What's wrong with it being sleeved??

I talked him down to $1000.

sleeves don't last as long as being plated but still are ok, they just don't dissipate heat away from the piston as much so you just have to re-ring them sooner, one good thing on a sleeve you can bore them out where a factory spec plating you can't. I wouldn't be scared of a sleeved bike you can always replace the cylinder at a later date. One thing about all race bikes you will have to replace the cylinder at one point in its life anyway. Get the bike if it is good shape. One other thing, after the bike is good and warmed up and it still feels like the clutch is ratchety then you will have to replace the clutch basket.