Teraflex tires

Hey guys, I just got a honda xr650l from a buddy of mine. It needs a few things replaced one of them being the tires. What does everyone think of the teraflex tires for a good all around street legal/offroad tire?

Slippery on the Tarmac, 1000 miles max life, cheap tire for the budget minded. Anything over 350CC will put them to a short grave. Anything under the will stretch the chain, eat the the gears and wear the internals in the first 300 miles.

Maybe the better question is what's the best dual sport tire combo. The offroad area I will mainly be is going to be a combination of hard packed dirt roads to moderate/mild sand and mud. There will be no highway driving, mainly city running around 30−50mph type stuff.

Thanks guys.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I know NOTHING of Dual sport tires, but I know the Trailwings (deathwings) on my DR650 were worthless offroad.
dunlop-d606-dual-sport-tire-rear.jpg

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...Tire?ref=gmc&gclid=CIL85smLxbQCFSTZQgodRmkA6w
This Dunlop 606 is a DOT tire and look damn aggressive enough for dirt/sand.
But you can still see a rounded contour of the tread for carving some asphalt.
They offer up to a 130/90 which is pretty freakin wide!
-BIG DAN:thumb:

It really depends on how you will be dividing the miles between street and off road. So what is your riding situation?

There is no such thing as a good all around street/dirt tire. The best you can do is not to suck too bad in either condition. It's even worse if the off road situation is sand and from what I hear about Florida there is a lot of that.

The D606 will work, but it might not be the best depending on your riding percentages between street and dirt.

The best answer is a second set of wheels.

It really depends on how you will be dividing the miles between street and off road. So what is your riding situation?

There is no such thing as a good all around street/dirt tire. The best you can do is not to suck too bad in either condition. It's even worse if the off road situation is sand and from what I hear about Florida there is a lot of that.

The D606 will work, but it might not be the best depending on your riding percentages between street and dirt.

The best answer is a second set of wheels.

I'd say 75% on road doing city driving. I have a ford raptor that loves gas stations! I'm just trying to save a little by using the bike for the more day to day stuff. But at least 1−2 times a month I will be going out with a buddy or 2 to the everglades for some exploring and trail riding. From what I am seeing most of the tires are in the $100 range, I'm use to $300−$400 per tire on my truck so I really don't mind if they don't last long. I just want the best possible all around tire combo I can find.

If I were going to do 2 sets of tires whats your thoughts on that setup?

SRAD97750

Staff member
My 2 Cents...
If I had the money for rims I'd run this setup...

Road is 17" front and rear with a dual compund tire like the PilotC2 or bridgestone BT45. The mileage on a dual compund is AWESOME. Near 10K miles of my sportbike.

Dirt is 21" front, 18" rear, maxxis Maxxcross SI or IT. I like the life span of Maxxis Tires.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

But for both, I'd give the D606 a try.

Two sets can be pricy but if you can afford it, best option! Mud and sand the D606 if you have to be DOT on the rear is a long lasting tire. I run Trials because the sand is not a big issue but mud sucks bad. Get about 1400 + miles on the Trials and the D606 will give you a little more and they work well. If you don't need DOT, the options are endless and you can buy any inexpensive tire a run like hell. If you do go two sets, I ran Bat-16 on my Sumo 17" F/R and loved that tire in all conditions.

Thanks to both of you, that is some very good info! I know this is a loaded question but I live in the city “Fort Lauderdale“ are the cops gonna even know about dot tires? Or would it be more important if there was a accident?

SRAD97750

Staff member
They will know.
Here in CA even if you're offroad, if you have a plate on the bike, you have to have mirrors, DOT tires, and lights.
Depends on the Cop...

Accident 100% and pulled over depending on Cop.
Accident= even if it's not your fault the insurance can say it was your tires, in 80% of the case.
Cop= if he is a dick, he can write you up for non-compliance.

They will know.
Here in CA even if you're offroad, if you have a plate on the bike, you have to have mirrors, DOT tires, and lights.
Depends on the Cop...

Ok ill just keep it legal then, thanks much.

Speaking of lights I noticed the ones on this bike are in rough shape, can I easily replace them with LED lights? And if so does anyone know a reliable site that sells them? Also what are you guys doing for a upgraded headlight? This one is pretty old.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Lighting on the other hand is less scrutinized by law enforcement.
Having it is a must, but the brand and whether it's DOT approved or not, is less scrutinized.