Tendonitis/Tennis elbow

Anyone have any experience with this aggravating condition and, if so, anyone know of any thing that helps get rid of it? I've got a particularly nasty case right now. Thanks in advance.

Anyone have any experience with this aggravating condition and, if so, anyone know of any thing that helps get rid of it? I've got a particularly nasty case right now. Thanks in advance.

Couple things to consider...main one Quit playing tennis.....You are very welcome! The other, I don't think I can say on here! :devil:

• Stop the activity that caused the pain
    The first step to proper tendonitis treatment is to stop all activities associated with the affected area.
  • Rest the affected area for at least 3 weeks
    Rest is the most important part of tendonitis treatment. In most cases the tendon will be able to completely heal itself with enough rest.
  • If possible, brace the area
    If possible we recommend you brace the affected area. This could mean a wrist brace (wrist), arm sling (shoulder), knee brace (knee), etc. Bracing the area protects it against further inflammation and strain.
  • Apply anti-inflammatory medication to the area
    Anti-inflammatory medication can help to relieve tendonitis pain and dilate the blood vessels. This allows for relief of the pain, without causing any stiffening of the tissue.
  • After 3 weeks, re-evaluate the situation
    How is the pain feeling after 3 weeks? If the pain has not subsided, rest for another 3 weeks. If the area is feeling better you can begin further rehabilitation.
  • Apply light resistance, movement and stretching
    Apply slow and controlled movement to the affected area. If no pain is felt, you may use very light weights. After movement some gentle stretching can be applied. Repeat these light movement exercises for a minimum of 3 weeks.
  • Start light exercise
    By now your tendon should be ready for some light exercises. You can find some exercises for various body parts on this page.
  • Ease back into activity
    Your tendon should now be ready to start regular activity again. Make sure your properly warm up and stretch your tendon before you begin exercising.

You're welcome:blah:

My right wrist is bothersome and is always worse after a day of riding. :foul: I usually wear a support of some type a couple of days after so it can be in one position for the most part and then it will feel better. After reading the website, I am not supposed to ride anymore. :thinking: I am not sure what the problem is but it bugs me and my wife is always telling me to baby it. :smirk: I am guessing a day of hard riding does not fall into the category of babying. :blah: Anyone want to play cards? :cry:

My right wrist is bothersome and is always worse after a day of riding. :foul: I usually wear a support of some type a couple of days after so it can be in one position for the most part and then it will feel better. After reading the website, I am not supposed to ride anymore. :thinking: I am not sure what the problem is but it bugs me and my wife is always telling me to baby it. :smirk: I am guessing a day of hard riding does not fall into the category of babying. :blah: Anyone want to play cards? :cry:
I have the same problem with my hand/wrist tendons being sore for days after...

maybe those fastco flex bars would be worth it...

Just say no to NSAIDS. Recent studies have shown that they really slow down the healing process. What is a NSAID you ask? Unfortunately , it's most of the over the counter pain meds other than Tylenol ( aka Acetaminophen). From what I have read it really does slow down healing in injured tendons. The healing that does happen is of a lower quality.

I've had really messed up tendons and I've taken NSAIDS because it was that or scream bloody murder from the pain. I do my best to survive on the Acetaminophen as soon as I can.

By far the most important thing to do is give the injured tendons some time to heal. That can be even longer than the three weeks mentioned in an earlier post. Yes that sucks. Tendons take a long time to heal because they have a minimal blood supply.

:lol: Gotta love it when one of Edge's lines gets used on Edge himself! Roost when I can Rez! :USA:

:smirk::thumb:

That sucks N'Edge. I had tendonitis in my hip, and developed a similar issue of bursitis w/fever in my bicep area due to a small tear in my A/C joint. Both areas had been dx through my rheumatologist and ortho via xray/MRI. I hate to say (NOT a steroid fan at all, especially if you knew my med history and reaction to steroids). They not only mess up my blood sugar, but my pituitary/adrenal system too. But, both occasions, I was so miserable, didn't want surgery, so I opt'd for a steroid shot in both areas knowing I could potentially suffer whatever consequences came systemically from the shots, just so I could get some relief. I'm years out from this now, had nothing but great results and 100% relief in both areas. Whether these issues will return down the road, yet to be seen... if they don't, horray!!

Found this info, sure there's 100's of articles just like these. Maybe, some physical theraphy, along with some Omega 3's, and Glucosamine/Chondroiton/MSM might help?? If you try the supplements, looks like you need to use consistancely for a period of 2 - 3 months to see results, if any?? Might be worth a try. Hindsight, perhaps I should've tried something else first instead of the steriod shots. But, mine pain came on so rapidly, even having the high pain tolerance I have, don't think I could've tolerated experimenting for 2 - 3 months of trying something that may/may not have worked. If you can hold out (painwise), maybe give rest, ice, PT and some supplemerts a try.

Quoted from an article:

"Tendonitis is an an overuse injury that creates inflammation in the tendon and pain. It is the same thing as tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, and minor shin splints. The tendon is the end of the muscle where it attaches to the bone, thus is is susceptible to injury.

What to do: These conditions require a period of rest so that the tissue can become less irritated. Along with that you need to mobilize the area with either massage or stretching to allow for a greater range of motion while reducing the strain. Elongated tissues always perform better and are less likely to be injured.

It is likely that this will be a condition that you will have problems with for the rest of your life, but it can be minimized and sometimes cured with aggressive myofascial release techniques. (ART) Active release technique, and Graston technique are too very good ways to eliminate pain and increase function. Check out the websites below to find a professional who can give you care in regards to this issue:

www.grastontechnique.com
www.activerelease.com

In the mean time, utilize ice not heat to help with the pain, and make sure that your diet is not promoting inflammation. Reduce the consumption of grains, sugars, colas, processed foods and snacks, and increase your intake of leafy green and brightly colored fruits and vegetables. There is also a supplement in which you can take to reduce inflammation naturally...Omega III fatty acids, and glucosamine/chondroitin can help repair injury...see below.

Omega-3 Fatty Acids: act as anti-inflammatory agents, making them beneficial for patients with any inflammatory condition. There are three major types of omega 3 fatty acids that are ingested in foods and used by the body: alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)-18 carbons, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)-20 carbons, and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)-22 carbons. Once eaten, the body converts ALA to EPA and DHA, the two types of omega-3 fatty acids more readily used by the body but this process is inadequate in humans therefore supplementation is better. Extensive research indicates that omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation and help prevent certain chronic diseases such as heart disease and arthritis. Typical dosage after injury is 4000 to 6000 mg daily for 3 months. Then reduce to a maintenance dose of 3000 to 4000 mg daily. EPA and DHA combined must represent 50% composition of the total content of the product. In addition the supplement should be molecularly distilled, pharmaceutical grade, and free of toxins.

Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM: Glucosamine is thought to promote the formation and repair of cartilage and tendons. Glucosamine hydrocloride is the form that is best absorbed by the body, but glucosamine sulfate is utilized more appropriately for repair. Chondroitin sulfate promotes water retention and elasticity in cartilage and inhibits enzymes that break down cartilage. MSM is also important in cartilaginous repair and helps to lubricate joint surfaces. You need to consume a minimum of 1500 mg of Chondroitin and Glucosamine, as well as 750mg of MSM per day after injury. A minimum dosage period would be for two months.

Don't know if this is a good article, or if the doses recommended are even correct. Do some research and ask around.

Just say no to NSAIDS. Recent studies have shown that they really slow down the healing process. What is a NSAID you ask? Unfortunately , it's most of the over the counter pain meds other than Tylenol ( aka Acetaminophen). From what I have read it really does slow down healing in injured tendons. The healing that does happen is of a lower quality.

I've had really messed up tendons and I've taken NSAIDS because it was that or scream bloody murder from the pain. I do my best to survive on the Acetaminophen as soon as I can.

By far the most important thing to do is give the injured tendons some time to heal. That can be even longer than the three weeks mentioned in an earlier post. Yes that sucks. Tendons take a long time to heal because they have a minimal blood supply.
I am very curious to know more about this as I have always not liked acetaminophen but liked Ibuprofen. Where did you hear about this?

I am very curious to know more about this as I have always not liked acetaminophen but liked Ibuprofen. Where did you hear about this?

WG, I've also heard the same, told it slowed healing, but haven't read any info on it. Was told by my ortho NOT to use any NSAIDS after my ACL surgery w/the new graft. Just had a biospy done last week, again told not to use NSAIDS for over the counter pain med. In the past, I remember reading it's hard on your renal system (i.e. kidney's), but never knew it slowed the healing process.

• Stop the activity that caused the pain
    The first step to proper tendonitis treatment is to stop all activities associated with the affected area.
  • Rest the affected area for at least 3 weeks
    Rest is the most important part of tendonitis treatment. In most cases the tendon will be able to completely heal itself with enough rest.
  • If possible, brace the area
    If possible we recommend you brace the affected area. This could mean a wrist brace (wrist), arm sling (shoulder), knee brace (knee), etc. Bracing the area protects it against further inflammation and strain.
  • Apply anti-inflammatory medication to the area
    Anti-inflammatory medication can help to relieve tendonitis pain and dilate the blood vessels. This allows for relief of the pain, without causing any stiffening of the tissue.
  • After 3 weeks, re-evaluate the situation
    How is the pain feeling after 3 weeks? If the pain has not subsided, rest for another 3 weeks. If the area is feeling better you can begin further rehabilitation.
  • Apply light resistance, movement and stretching
    Apply slow and controlled movement to the affected area. If no pain is felt, you may use very light weights. After movement some gentle stretching can be applied. Repeat these light movement exercises for a minimum of 3 weeks.
  • Start light exercise
    By now your tendon should be ready for some light exercises. You can find some exercises for various body parts on this page.
  • Ease back into activity
    Your tendon should now be ready to start regular activity again. Make sure your properly warm up and stretch your tendon before you begin exercising.

You're welcome:blah:
Something the article doesn't mention is hydration. Proper hydration is very important for helping the inflamed tissues heal, and for preventing a reoccurrence. Water acts as a lubricant for the muscles, ligaments and tendons.

SO here's my 2cents--tendonitis is basically a result of weak muscle, so more force is applied to the tendon that causes the injury(a mechanic thing). I've had tennis elbow and also tendonitis in my hip from a crash and have been "creatively" working on them(ie experimenting and having good results). That hip thing was the worst, I could barely walk at times, I had to grab the wall or something.

First off, identify what movement caused the strain. Usually you can experiment by moving your arm, you can use a light wieght and do basic weightlifting moves and when it hurts, then you know what movement to rest from(and which muscle/tendon) is the culprit. Rest is really good, usually about 6 weeks. Just try to avoid doing the particular movement, like for the tennis elbow for me it was making a side to side motion while holding something, and with the hip it's sitting for a long time(but lying down or being on my feet is fine).

The bands that go around the forearm just under the elbow will provide support to the tendon and take some of the movement force off of the tendon. I just tied a bandana around that area, pretty snug, but not circulation cutting. If you tend to have that are get sore, you can use the bands all the time when riding, or tape it, to provide a little extra support.*

Next begin doing compound weightlifting moves that will address the joint and the muscles attached to it, and then the next set of muscles. Like for the elbow it would be hammer curls, hand squeezes with those squeezers, upright rows. Basically stuff that will strengthen your forearm and grip strength. Strong muscles takes stress off of the tendons. It's a physics thing--levers and fulcrums and all that. For my hip I'm doing unweighted squats and have added in lunges, both front to back and off to the side.

NSAIDS. I dont' like to take pills either, and avoid it at all costs. But I did find a way to use them to reduce inflammation. I have a very active job(four days a week), and then three days off. SO what I do now(for my hip), is on the last work day of the week I take two Aleve(naproxen sodium), kind of a big blast. THEN I have three days to rest(which means NOT sitting around a lot--during the work week I end up sitting a lot commuting). I've seen a sort of step down reducing of inflammation/pain in my hip doing it this way--it's progressing much faster in healing than before when I just toughed it all out and didn't use the nsaids.

I can't say enough about being as strong as you can be. You have the strength required for your daily tasks. If you just have the strength to meet that, anything over that will injure you, no way around it. In my job I'm crawling around on my hands and knees a lot, getting up n down(haha I hear ya laughing...) if I didn't work out I know my knees and shoulders would be TRASHED.

*taping, I think a lot of benefit could be had from smart taping for a race/long day, just like footballers do it. You can give extra support to joints and muscles, and gain some stability for joints. I tape my wrists when riding(because they've been broken and are twiggy) and it REALLY helps with fatigue and feeling solid.

One more thing if you completely immobilize a joint it will begin to degrade in just 10 to 14 days. As in tendons atrophy etc. If you have to be in a cast you can help stop this by isometric contractions of the muscle attached to that joint. WHen tendons degrade it takes FOREVER to beef them back up again.