Suzuki build thread- project bike

I was going to wait until now to chime in...
I happen to be in the exact same position as you with a 1996 DS80.
I can get it to start on the choke and keep it alive at WOT but nothing in between.
I have cleaned the carburetor probably 20+ times, soaked it for 5+ days in 'Carb Dip.'
Replaced the jets and set the float 8 ways from sunday, including the correct way. :wink:

Nothing, It'll idle and run WOT but nothing in between.
Way too lean, always act like it's running out of gas, revving to the moon and dying regardless of throttle position.
I set up a bowl vent tube so I could see the fuel levels while it was running. Perfect.

Just won't run. Found some replacement carbs for $100 but they are probably removed for the same issue.
Frustrated... The Intake boot is too small for this 26mm 2T suzuki carb I found on ebay... Looking for a way to modify the intake tract to accomodate the larger 26mm carb.

I'll let you know if something gives... -BIG DAN:thumb:
You need to buy manual before you clean the carb. Jeez do any of these guys listen to you @Mihylo33

:smirk:

yes,.... look at the quote below.

I will add that a busted or bent reed will cause a no start/run situation.
What would cause the reeds to bend and is it any easy inexpensive fix? Also I didn't understand about the oil.. I couldn't find anything like that on the bike.

You need to buy manual before you clean the carb. Jeez do any of these guys listen to you @Mihylo33

:smirk:
:gibbs:

What would cause the reeds to bend and is it any easy inexpensive fix? Also I didn't understand about the oil.. I couldn't find anything like that on the bike.

:prof: thats where the manual comes in handy. reeds are fairly cheap for this. The reason why they break is because they are constantly bending back and forth. eventually they fatigue enough where they stay bent or broken. Kind of like a coat hanger when you bend it back and forth except reeds vibrate and move at much greater rates. The oil inj should be on right side of the crank.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/suzuki/1996/ds80/oil-pump

parts 13 and 12 are the reeds
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/suzuki/1996/ds80/cylinder

http://www.repairmanual.com/product...cle-cyclepedia-online-service-manual-cpp-165/

It cranks... It was able to crank this entire time.... Lol the ONLY way I can crank it is by pressin the throttle down real quick at the same time as I kick it. Also I have to constantly keep the throttle down while riding and keep twistin or it will shut off and it hesitates and won't do anything most the time I twist the throttle. Any way I can fix these issues?

Whenever I twist the throttle, sometimes it will go, sometimes it won't. Also sometimes when I twist it will move a little and then it will stop and act like the throttle was never twisted at all. Any thoughts?

I might take it to the shop cause I'm not sure why it won't idle and why it shuts off without pressing the gas. Whenever I go uphill on it the throttle stops working and it's hard to make it go since it moves so slow uphill. Maybe a jet is clogged? This is weird.

So it's backfiring from the carb.

Your timing key could be sheared a little causing it to be off time as well but I don't think so.

Honestly there can be so many different things that would create this problem. None of them major or hard to fix but the lack of appropriate materials in which you can research and locate key areas is holding you back. It's the simplest of tools that often hold us back and keeps us from obtaining true knowledge.
Go buy a new spark plug and let me know if it helps.

So it's backfiring from the carb.

Your timing key could be sheared a little causing it to be off time as well but I don't think so.

Honestly there can be so many different things that would create this problem. None of them major or hard to fix but the lack of appropriate materials in which you can research and locate key areas is holding you back. It's the simplest of tools that often hold us back and keeps us from obtaining true knowledge.
Go buy a new spark plug and let me know if it helps.
What if I took it to a small engine shop and let them soak it overnight? That could get anything that's messing up inside. You think that would help?

What if I took it to a small engine shop and let them soak it overnight? That could get anything that's messing up inside. You think that would help?

Most small engine shops do more harm than good when bit comes to bikes. The previous owner didn't want to deal with this issue either and probably had 10 of his friends tinker with it. Now you have it.

So let's start from the beginning.
Does it start and run? No?
Does it have spark? Yes?
Clean the carb 2 times. Then clean it once more. ( don't ignore this because partyou've already cleaned it. Clean it again
You should find a parts diagram for the carb. This will tell you if anything is missing. You don't have enough basic knowledge to realize what's missing, what's broken and what's not right in the carb by looking at it. It's most beneficial to have a service manual at this point.
Does it start?!!!!!
Let us know.

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/1996-suzuki-ds80-carburetor-assembly.html

in the link...
#17 would be your idle screw....
#25 would be your air/fuel mixture screw

set #17 the idle screw, so it has a low idle (turning it in should make the idle go up...turn it out to make the idle go down)...

then turn #25 clockwise until it's lightly seated (don't crank it tight...lightly seated) then turn it out "counter clockwise" to get the highest idle you can.... count the turns out and tell us how many turns out to get the highest idle you can...example 1 and 1/2 turns out to get the highest idle.... (if it makes no change in idle let us know that too)....

after you adjust #25 to get the highest idle you can go back to #17 and set the idle to your desired idle...

This will just get you a idle....(I'm no carb guy) someone else will have to help you fine tune it and help with your jetting if needed....

Last edited: