Summit Motocross Prep/Suspension Rebuild

Well, I'm combining a couple topics into one to save fourm room! So here it goes, as some of you know my season starts next weekend at Summit Indoor Motocross. I've been mega pumped all month, working my butt off to roll in and kill both days, back to back double class. Training, diet (dropped monster), technique, and bike were my focus since I want to bump class next year. Anyhow I'm incredibly pumped up, it's next Friday/Saturday with Schoolboy and 250C both days. Friday is one moto and Sat is 2 heat races, a 6 hour practice and a main event. In addition to bumping my physical and mental training in every aspect possible I have been improving my bike all winter.
Before:001.png
Parts this year for a rebuild consisted of, new tires, graphics, hand guards, sprockets, chain, better airflow gas tank hose, some gear for myself and today a freshly built front suspension. Also the basic maintaince, oil, oil filter, clean air filter (NoToil superflo), clean air box and tire pressure. To go with an awesome helmet cam comps of my most amazing girlfriend :thumb:
003.jpg Mostly done, before seals, some sponsor decals and an gas cap short valve.

So today I went ahead and rebuilt my forks, for the first time. It was really easy and a lot of fun really, and they turned out well. My total cost: 80 some bucks :thumb: First off inspired by Darren I made my own PVC driver, for a 1' long 2" dia. pipe- $4. This is how it turned out (to save space, feel free to ask questions later :thumb: ) 017.jpg018.jpgThe only problem I encountered was not buying a fork cap wrench, which after trying a pipe wrench, I bought a large crescent wrench from RKO for tractors. I set up a clean, well light and warm work space with a radio and got to work
030.jpg031.jpg035.jpgAfter trying auto zone and ACE :picard: RKO saved my sorry ass!036.jpg
Well after that slight prob the tear down was clean and east to figure out complement of Yamaha Service manual. I used All Balls seals and wipers and Maxima 5w fork oil.
026.jpg027.jpg028.jpg032.jpg033.jpg040.jpg041.jpgThis is myself after fork one, doing it without the manual getting the perfect mix of maxima at 12.7 Fl. oz.

This is myself after fork one, doing it without the manual getting the perfect mix of maxima at 12.7 Fl. oz.
images.jpg
Here is a comparison of the oil I removed vs. the fresh maxima I put in
045.jpg045.jpg046.jpg047.jpg049.jpg051.jpg
Old wipers to the left and seals to the right.
When I finished, the forks turn out clean and perfect. If you didn't do it right, then well, the result follows
08-04-28_crash.jpg
But if you do it right, great things happen
042.jpg043.jpg044.jpg
Well thanks for reading the thread, just figured I'd blow off some happiness about everything and show some pics. When the bike is total complete and race ready I'll give a final pic tomorrow :thumb: Stay gnarley my friends!

PS- Necessary rebuild tools-
Wrench to remove fork caps
Seal driver
Turkey baster/some measuring container (I used a cool whip like 10oz container to measure with)
Seals/wipers
suspension oil
surran wrap
good wrench set
crescent wrench
screw drivers
vice
LOT OF SHOP TOWELS

Suspension work really is pretty fun, for the most part it's simple and something to do. Are you replacing springs Brian or just doing seals and wipers?

Suspension work really is pretty fun, for the most part it's simple and something to do. Are you replacing springs Brian or just doing seals and wipers?

seals and wipers its super easy except that my cartridges spin in the forks when i try to break the lower clicker loose

They will make a difference big time, I'd run a heavier oil though due to the older suspension if your going to be riding track with James a lot so you can hammer down harder on the jumps :thumb:

They will make a difference big time, I'd run a heavier oil though due to the older suspension if your going to be riding track with James a lot so you can hammer down harder on the jumps :thumb:

i dont need heavier oil... i need 5w lol im only 140-145, and 155-160 with gear, i have 10w in there now and its REALLY stiff

hey now, my fork driver was steel! :smirk: Hopefully those all balls seals hold up for you, i have not had good luck with them. nice jerb though. Mine still aren't complete :cry: