Suggestion?

Four stroke or two stroke, you will take months or years to get the most put of the myriad effects and variations of clutch useage. A 250 two stroke would be easier for someone your size to learn to start and stop on than what my crf 250 felt like. If you can find a smaller countershaft sprocket or a larger rear wheel sprocket it would make the first weekend easier. Just don't go spend big on it unless you are going to do really slow trails.

Four stroke or two stroke, you will take months or years to get the most put of the myriad effects and variations of clutch useage. A 250 two stroke would be easier for someone your size to learn to start and stop on than what my crf 250 felt like. If you can find a smaller countershaft sprocket or a larger rear wheel sprocket it would make the first weekend easier. Just don't go spend big on it unless you are going to do really slow trails.
So, what you're saying is that a 2-stroke would be better for me to learn on?

So, what you're saying is that a 2-stroke would be better for me to learn on?
Pat"A"toe, patatoe. Six and one half dozen or another. At the end of the day you will master what you desire to master. What do YOU want 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Either way with practice and a few tip over crashes and a few stall outs, you will figure out how to use the clutch. When you started using a computer you didn't have all of the skills on day one, you built your ability over time with trial and error, no?

My point is there is nothing like real life experience. Get a bike and giver' hell. Oh, and be sure to take pics while learning.

:smirk:

Pat"A"toe, patatoe. Six and one half dozen or another. At the end of the day you will master what you desire to master. What do YOU want 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Either way with practice and a few tip over crashes and a few stall outs, you will figure out how to use the clutch. When you started using a computer you didn't have all of the skills on day one, you built your ability over time with trial and error, no?

My point is there is nothing like real life experience. Get a bike and giver' hell. Oh, and be sure to take pics while learning.

:smirk:
Awesome, yeah I think I'd rather go with a 2 stroke but with everything TT is saying it seems that I may not be able to handle that.

SRAD97750

Staff member
All of the control is in your right hand and how hard you twist the throttle.
Ive been on several rides with Rack, and there is a young lady in the group riding a 450 like its a toy, and passing me like i'm old news. Be not afraid. -BIG DAN

Awesome, yeah I think I'd rather go with a 2 stroke but with everything TT is saying it seems that I may not be able to handle that.

Well unless you are a total clutz and really slow to learn I think you will do just like Rack said and adapt just fine. While I like starting a first timer out on a trail bike and not a race bike, it sounds like you have had the trail bike from when you were younger. I have been on two wheels for more than 50 years and I think you are stressing where it isn't necessary and I think you are listening to people with very little back ground. Hell I taught a girl your age to ride on a 4 speed cz 250 which believe me is tougher to get moving on than what you are considering.

Well unless you are a total clutz and really slow to learn I think you will do just like Rack said and adapt just fine. While I like starting a first timer out on a trail bike and not a race bike, it sounds like you have had the trail bike from when you were younger. I have been on two wheels for more than 50 years and I think you are stressing where it isn't necessary and I think you are listening to people with very little back ground. Hell I taught a girl your age to ride on a 4 speed cz 250 which believe me is tougher to get moving on than what you are considering.
Sounds awesome, thanks so much for the help guys. I think my top bike right now is the YZ250. Although, I have heard a lot about the 300xc, the KTM. How does those compare up against one another?

if you get the xc-w you will find it really friendly to a new rider getting used to starting and stopping. the w stands for it's transmission having a wide ratio set of gears. the lower first gear makes it easier to pull away from a standstill at lower rpms. that same reason I mentioned gearing the yz down if cheap and convenient for you. the ktm xc has a heavier flywheel rotor than a motocross bike of the same size and make. flywheel weights are affordable for the yz of course. if you spent an afternoon on something like an xr200-400, drz 250-400, tt 230-250, yamaha wr of any size, honda crfx (250 or 450), Kdx 200 etc your transition to the yz would be a little easier, but I think you will get up to riding speed fairly soon.

Make sure your bike is tuned for slow speeds, especially make sure the float level is right. This is really important on used bikes, two strokes doubly so. Consider a hotter spark plug for your initial learning on the two stroke, just don't go for long high speed runs with it or under a hard load.

I tell people to get used to paddling the bike around with their feet (engine off). if you do that and get used to a gentle push off with your foot or feet on soft ground or uphill it makes it easier to get moving without stalling. stop on level ground or slightly downhill. makes it easier for restarts. understand that you will kill the bike quite a few times when you start out learning. dont get frustrated, dont let others rush you. dont let too many people talk to you at the same time. watch someone else do it, then start your own bike and try it, then try it again, and again. as soon as you can find a wide open flat spot, start your training. DO NOT DO IT in a closed in area or small place where there isnt enough room to do some gear shifting before easy slow turns are possible.

As soon as someone uses a phrase like "you will jerk your arms out of their sockets" or "put it in second so you dont jerk your arms out of their sockets (to start off)" or "put a larger countershaft sprocket on it, or a smaller rear wheel sprocket on it" etc, quit listening to them. better yet get out of ear shot.

if you get the xc-w you will find it really friendly to a new rider getting used to starting and stopping. the w stands for it's transmission having a wide ratio set of gears. the lower first gear makes it easier to pull away from a standstill at lower rpms. that same reason I mentioned gearing the yz down if cheap and convenient for you. the ktm xc has a heavier flywheel rotor than a motocross bike of the same size and make. flywheel weights are affordable for the yz of course. if you spent an afternoon on something like an xr200-400, drz 250-400, tt 230-250, yamaha wr of any size, honda crfx (250 or 450), Kdx 200 etc your transition to the yz would be a little easier, but I think you will get up to riding speed fairly soon.

Make sure your bike is tuned for slow speeds, especially make sure the float level is right. This is really important on used bikes, two strokes doubly so. Consider a hotter spark plug for your initial learning on the two stroke, just don't go for long high speed runs with it or under a hard load.

I tell people to get used to paddling the bike around with their feet (engine off). if you do that and get used to a gentle push off with your foot or feet on soft ground or uphill it makes it easier to get moving without stalling. stop on level ground or slightly downhill. makes it easier for restarts. understand that you will kill the bike quite a few times when you start out learning. dont get frustrated, dont let others rush you. dont let too many people talk to you at the same time. watch someone else do it, then start your own bike and try it, then try it again, and again. as soon as you can find a wide open flat spot, start your training. DO NOT DO IT in a closed in area or small place where there isnt enough room to do some gear shifting before easy slow turns are possible.

As soon as someone uses a phrase like "you will jerk your arms out of their sockets" or "put it in second so you dont jerk your arms out of their sockets (to start off)" or "put a larger countershaft sprocket on it, or a smaller rear wheel sprocket on it" etc, quit listening to them. better yet get out of ear shot.
You're amazing, thank you so much for this reply it helped me beyond belief.