Suggestion?

Alright, so I am looking into getting a pretty nice bike but I have actually never rode clutch in my life. I have seen how to do it and I feel like I could learn quite easily but I have been hearing things that if I buy a 2 stroke I won't be able to ride that thing due to it needing to be in the correct gear and have perfect clutch precision. Now, I want something that I won't grow out of and also that I can modify in the years to come. So, what would you suggest a 250 2-stroke or a 450 4-stroke? My top picks for the bikes would be a YZ250 2-stroke (My favorite god damn bike right now.) Or, a CRF450r 4-stroke. I am not sure of which would be better for me. If this is needed, here is my information.

Weight: ~190

Height: 5-11/6-0

Experience: Only had a '09 CRF 70 (no clutch)

Terrain: Going to mostly ride in open field, friends back yard track and some trail riding (Not super intense trails)

Mechanical: I am not very mechanically sound, can't even really change a tire. No one in my family/friends are able to do much either.

apparently the people telling you that are not aware that there was about a 30 year span where few people were riding 4 strokes and lots of people like my son and ALL my friends' kids learned on two strokes. those same people must have started on 4 strokes and have remained on them to this day. please share this with them if you feel it will broaden them in any way.

apparently the people telling you that are not aware that there was about a 30 year span where few people were riding 4 strokes and lots of people like my son and ALL my friends' kids learned on two strokes. those same people must have started on 4 strokes and have remained on them to this day. please share this with them if you feel it will broaden them in any way.
Thanks a ton man, so you think that I can learn to ride clutch on a 2 stroke? People over on TT were telling me that there is no way in hell that I can learn on a 2 stroke and that I should diffidently buy a 4 stroke.

SRAD97750

Staff member
...People over on TT were telling me...
Ah, you have revealed the reason Dirtbikeaddicts.com exists...

You can learn on either, easily.
Both a 250 2T and a 450 4T are going to be plenty for anyone to grow into.
Both are heavily modifiable.
Both will require you to learn some basic mechanical inspection skills, or pay someone else to do it. Neither has "more maintenance."
RIDE.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Ah, you have revealed the reason Dirtbikeaddicts.com exists...

You can learn on either, easily.
Both a 250 2T and a 450 4T are going to be plenty for anyone to grow into.
Both are heavily modifiable.
Both will require you to learn some basic mechanical inspection skills, or pay someone else to do it. Neither has "more maintenance."
RIDE.
-BIG DAN:thumb:
Awesome, thanks a ton guys.

How long does it usually take a newby to learn to ride clutch on a bike like those?

SRAD97750

Staff member
As long as it takes you to let it out the first time.
I only clutch when moving from a total stop, coming to a total stop, or needing a boost of RPM in the current gear. Some folks use it to shift between gears. -BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
The dogs on the sides of the gears in the transmission can wear if shifted under heavy power frequently. Such as a MX application.
In your typical trail riding, fast desert, and street, the 'unloading of the engine' can be done with the throttle and it shifts between gears EXACTLY like your CRF 70. There isn't actually a physical difference.

Mind you, proper clutchless shifting is something that only can be done with practice. But then becomes second nature. You are already doing it on the CRF70, but sub-consciously. -BIG DAN:thumb:

The dogs on the sides of the gears in the transmission can wear if shifted under heavy power frequently. Such as a MX application.
In your typical trail riding, fast desert, and street, the 'unloading of the engine' can be done with the throttle and it shifts between gears EXACTLY like your CRF 70. There isn't actually a physical difference.

Mind you, proper clutchless shifting is something that only can be done with practice. But then becomes second nature. You are already doing it on the CRF70, but sub-consciously. -BIG DAN:thumb:
Wait, so I think I am misunderstanding. It's possible to make the clutch automatic on one of these bikes?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Sure, $300-800 on an auto-clutch. www.rekluse.com
I think you would be much happier learning on a clutched bike. If your terrain later demands you get some clutch relief, then consider it.
For now, just Ride the damn thing and your skills and enjoyment will double every week. Regardless of how many strokes it has. - BIG DAN:thumb:

Sure, $300-800 on an auto-clutch. www.rekluse.com
I think you would be much happier learning on a clutched bike. If your terrain later demands you get some clutch relief, then consider it.
For now, just Ride the damn thing and your skills and enjoyment will double every week. Regardless of how many strokes it has. - BIG DAN:thumb:
Awesome, I pretty much stated the same question over at TT and they claim that I should in no way shape or form buy a 450 4-stroke or a 250 2-stroke because I will most likely end up literally killing myself. Now, should I be taking this into account if I am literally going to go between first and second gear the first couple of days or what? Obviously I am going to take it slow, but it seems they're really fearful for my life haha.

there is more to learning how to use a clutch than just starting and stopping when it comes to trail riding and hill climbing...the stop n start is easy and a 1-2 day learning curve. Hill climbing will take a year or so to get proficient.