Stay with my 125 or upgrade??

Ok so, I have a 2010 yz125 coming out of the shop in a few days. I'm so tired of it breaking down on me. I do a lot of maintenance only bike. I guess it's wear and tear. Bt, I'm thinking about becoming more serious about racing. Do I sell my 125 and get a 250? Or keep my 125? I love my bike, it's a blast and you get noticed more because your the only bike that is high pitched and is screaming by. I love the attention too. But, I think a four stroke would be more reliable. What I would really lIke to know is what's going to save me money in the long run? My 125 or a 250f?

2T saves money! not sure if the 125 has been the same through the years. The 250 has and is VERY reliable, easy to rebuild and cheaper than ANY 4 stroker... Talking YZ 2T's

This is a tough one Kyle - there is nothing I love better than hearing the 2t's rip by. Unfortunately, not many kids ride them anymore - at least not up here. My son races a 4T but loves to go out on a 2t and rip around - it reminds him of being on his old 85. As far as maintenance, give me the 2T anyday. All the bikes are pretty good nowadays. Good luck whatever you do :thumb:

Ok so, I have a 2010 yz125 coming out of the shop in a few days. I'm so tired of it breaking down on me. I do a lot of maintenance only bike. I guess it's wear and tear. Bt, I'm thinking about becoming more serious about racing. Do I sell my 125 and get a 250? Or keep my 125? I love my bike, it's a blast and you get noticed more because your the only bike that is high pitched and is screaming by. I love the attention too. But, I think a four stroke would be more reliable. What I would really lIke to know is what's going to save me money in the long run? My 125 or a 250f?
This is a tough one Kyle - there is nothing I love better than hearing the 2t's rip by. Unfortunately, not many kids ride them anymore - at least not up here. My son races a 4T but loves to go out on a 2t and rip around - it reminds him of being on his old 85. As far as maintenance, give me the 2T anyday. All the bikes are pretty good nowadays. Good luck whatever you do :thumb:

Don't be just another kid RIP DAT 125 NINJA

I grew up on 2 smokes. Get a 2 fiddy cheap these days, and rip it! Easy to maintain and cheap to rebuild. If you don't like it, get a better job to earn the bucks to maintain the 4 thumps. You can't beat the simplicity of a 2st!

Explain this to me. "Breaking Down" what is breaking down? "I do a lot of maintenance only bike" I am not sure what you mean on this statement. "I guess it's wear and tear" What are you "wearing" and Tearing"? You should be able to put gas in this bike and lock the throttle wide O and enjoy. Yamaha 2 smoke motors are built proof as long as you jet it right. "wear and tear"? top end, tires and a chain. Keep the filter cleaned and pin it! :ride:

James

Staff member
your yz has been a lemon, or you have been doing something wrong.
One or the other as this many times is unheard of.
Explain this to me. "Breaking Down" what is breaking down?
I think he's had to replace the top end 4 times now, plus the crank seized this last time, not sure about the other times. Bought it new.

Explain this to me. "Breaking Down" what is breaking down? "I do a lot of maintenance only bike" I am not sure what you mean on this statement. "I guess it's wear and tear" What are you "wearing" and Tearing"? You should be able to put gas in this bike and lock the throttle wide O and enjoy. Yamaha 2 smoke motors are built proof as long as you jet it right. "wear and tear"? top end, tires and a chain. Keep the filter cleaned and pin it! :ride:
well the jetting was wayy off. It was twenty sizes off. And it has taken 3 top ends to figure it out and fix the problem. And I hope it is fixed completly, but I just have a "bad vibe" about the bike because it has cost the family so much money. The reason it is coming out of the shop now is because it grenaded on me. After all the top ends going out I never replaced the bottom. The bering went out and destroyed everything. The new top end didnt even have ten rides on it. That has been the story of this bike and I want to belive its fixed but, I am just scared. THe other thing is that yes two stroke parts are eaiser and cheaper to fix, but it seems like the parts don't last as long either.

well the jetting was wayy off. It was twenty sizes off. And it has taken 3 top ends to figure it out and fix the problem. And I hope it is fixed completly, but I just have a "bad vibe" about the bike because it has cost the family so much money. The reason it is coming out of the shop now is because it grenaded on me. After all the top ends going out I never replaced the bottom. The bering went out and destroyed everything. The new top end didnt even have ten rides on it. That has been the story of this bike and I want to belive its fixed but, I am just scared. THe other thing is that yes two stroke parts are eaiser and cheaper to fix, but it seems like the parts don't last as long either.
Twenty sizes? Yamaha pretty much sends their bikes out pretty close to right on jetting from the factory, so who is messing with the jetting and who is the one that is dialing in the jetting. 20 sizes on a 125 or any size bike should have been pretty noticeable and never removed from the stand without getting it right. Was the last top end because of jetting as well? Tell you what, have the shop crate that bike up and send it to me, I will dial it in for you and give it the CDA stamp of approval. I may need to do some pre-running/testing on it for a little bit before sending it back though..:devil:

i can understand the frustration, but a 250f will make you just another :lame: :moon: out on the track. not to mention the 250f is going to cost you more for maintenance/problems. i dont plan on ever owning a 4 stroke, i never have except for my pit bike. if you must get a 250 then get a 250 2 stroke lol, it might have less problems than your 125 did cause the engine doesnt have to work as hard as a 125 would for most riders if u catch my drift.

Twenty sizes? Yamaha pretty much sends their bikes out pretty close to right on jetting from the factory, so who is messing with the jetting and who is the one that is dialing in the jetting. 20 sizes on a 125 or any size bike should have been pretty noticeable and never removed from the stand without getting it right. Was the last top end because of jetting as well? Tell you what, have the shop crate that bike up and send it to me, I will dial it in for you and give it the CDA stamp of approval. I may need to do some pre-running/testing on it for a little bit before sending it back though..:devil:
I want to be done worring about a carb. I would love EFI haha. But, I got it from a Yamaha dealer and we found out the jetting was shit three top ends later. Now I belive the jetting is right. :thinking: My new top end had to be replaced because my bottom end middle bering grenaded and sent shrapnel all the way up to my spark plug! :) So, I had to rehone my cylinder, get a new crank shaft, new top end, and a cylinder cap (or what ever that piece is called.) I DON'T want to experience this again.

I want to be done worring about a carb. I would love EFI haha. But, I got it from a Yamaha dealer and we found out the jetting was shit three top ends later. Now I belive the jetting is right. :thinking: My new top end had to be replaced because my bottom end middle bering grenaded and sent shrapnel all the way up to my spark plug! :) So, I had to rehone my cylinder, get a new crank shaft, new top end, and a cylinder cap (or what ever that piece is called.) I DON'T want to experience this again.
Jet your bike correctly and you wont have this issue. Get 3 or 4 pilot jets, 3 mains, and 2 or 3 needles. You have to rejet a 2 stroke almost every time you ride if you wan to keep it at peak power. A small change in weather to you, like 10 degrees, and 20% humidity increase or decrease is huge to a 2 stroke bike. learn to jet your bike, also get the tools to work on your bike, save your money and lots of it.

elevation is a huge factor for jetting. weather is as well but in my experience elevation fucks with jetting WAY more than temp/humidity. but they still do as well for sure