Sprockets and chains

Yeah, any sprocket can bend if it gets hit at a bad angle. Like I said, I bent my first one. Haven't bent this one yet though. I've bent a back brake rotor as well.
I know from riding in the glacier silt in the mud and streams up here it wears my running gear, sprockets included, at a high rate, it tears the shit outa everything. Doesn't matter who's name is on it. However, I've never bent a sprocket. So I wouldn't stress over how strong it is, I'm gonna grind it to pieces before that happens.

Last edited:
I know from riding in the glacier silt in the mud and streams up here it wears my running gear, sprockets included, at a high rate, it tears the shit outa everything. Doesn't matter who's name is on it. However, I've never bent a sprocket. So I wouldn't stress over how strong it is, I'm gonna grind it to pieces before that happens.
Yah, it's never been a concern. I can't even remember how I noticed it was bent. Think it was during a tire change, aligning up the chain..

Well hitting a big rock with it would prove that it won't take everything. Maybe just get solid steel ones. No cutouts what so ever. I think I can still get those and drill them for about 11 dollars each.

I didn't know Rick Bevins still rode. The only other man I know in this part of the world that ran them that long was Marvin Beyers, and he died.
Truth be told, that was off the bike my girls ride, didn't notice how bad it was till we took it out to Jim's a couple weeks ago, I was impressed.

I'm sure the answer to this is "it is in the manual"(I'm looking for one.), but none the less...

I have to change the front sprocket and chain on my 2003 Suzuki RM125. My investigation has led me to stock specs on the front as a 12 spoke and the rear as a 49 with a 114 link chain. My bike has an 11 spoke sprocket on it. It also has 3 broken teeth on it. The rear sprocket is a 51. According to a calculator I found online, the current set up produces an approximate 17% torque curve and an opposite -17% top speed difference when compared to the stock set up. I think that this may be the reason for the broken teeth...too much torque. Or could be sloppy chain. (Opinions?)

So I am going to replace with a 12 spoke sprocket and will leave the rear 51. If I install this set up, the calculator indicates I will have an approximate 9.5% torque curve and opposite top speed. The calculator also says I will need a 116 link chain. Does all of that sound right?
12/50 is by many a magazine the best gearing for that bike. ive tried anywhere from yours to 12.49 ..think 12/51 is perfect...motor rips when healthy anyway!!! but love the pull 12/51 gave me..can wick throttle and its immediate. kid has same bike with vforce and bills pipe....he has no problems same gearing....try it youll like it

I'm sure the answer to this is "it is in the manual"(I'm looking for one.), but none the less...

I have to change the front sprocket and chain on my 2003 Suzuki RM125. My investigation has led me to stock specs on the front as a 12 spoke and the rear as a 49 with a 114 link chain. My bike has an 11 spoke sprocket on it. It also has 3 broken teeth on it. The rear sprocket is a 51. According to a calculator I found online, the current set up produces an approximate 17% torque curve and an opposite -17% top speed difference when compared to the stock set up. I think that this may be the reason for the broken teeth...too much torque. Or could be sloppy chain. (Opinions?)

So I am going to replace with a 12 spoke sprocket and will leave the rear 51. If I install this set up, the calculator indicates I will have an approximate 9.5% torque curve and opposite top speed. The calculator also says I will need a 116 link chain. Does all of that sound right?
think i bought a 116 for same bike had to take out one link so technically needed a 115 but 12/51 seems to be perfect gearing for our 2002 and 2003 rm125's