Snow Trials (12-11-10)

A couple weeks ago, there was over a foot of snow locking-up the higher altitudes so it was goodbye for the winter ... I thought.

Staged in the upper dez Saturday and did some climbs, some ridges...

5WallHit.jpg

2Ridges.jpg

Got into a 5k mountain range and we noticed that the upper levels across the valley were'nt as white as we thought they would be.

Fortunately, we were packin' spare gas so ...

1Packin.jpg

70-degrees on the dez, light winds ... so what are the chances we could do better?

Who cares, it's always an adventure up top. ... :banana::ride:

Ever wonder how trials tires do in snow?
Did you know they don't leave tracks in it?

2SnowRoad.jpg

Following this shot, the fun began.
Snow roosters, slip-n-slide ... snow paddy surfing...

Perrrrrrfect weather!!!!!!!!

Wound-up the day coming down out of paradise but missed Krusty's dirt nap ... just got a photo of the aftermath...

3PostDirtNap.jpg

Down and out then back to the dez...

4OuttaThere.jpg

Ended a 77 mile day with some fine hops and grains.

Thank God for the early thaw... :banana:

Last spring I swapped out my trials tire for a knobby before the Kennedy Meadows trail maintenance which always involves a hundred snow banks which can be six feet deep. I figured that the trials tire might not be the best tire to have. This last weekend I also found some snow on my ride and I sure found out that trials tires are not optimum for the snow. Well I was hitting not nice fresh snow, it was more like compressed hard snow/ice.

Nice pics and vids. Looks like a great day of riding.

Sweet RR nbeze. That area looks real familiar..:thinking: On that first pick it looks like you can hit the little goat trail on the left at a good rate a speed and pop off that little rock step and pop over that bush to the right and land on the up hill trail about where Krusty is coming down, grab a handful when you land and do a nice wheelie the rest of the way up the hill....

At least that is what my imagination is telling me....:devil:

That looks pretty fun, wish I could have been there to test the 2smoke trials tire! We had to settle with Laughlin..........:banana:
Rode the 530 last year w/trial tire in the snow-thought it did ok, a lil slippery.

Sure does look purrdy out there, The trails look like they could be purrdy fast too if there wasn't somuch snow :thumb: