Small Bikes that still have the goods?

Hey guys I'm trying to figure out a bike for a rider that is 5'2" Weighs in about 110#. Its for a beginner but I want performance. So no TTR-230, CRF230's, XR200's. I think they lack in a million ways. I haven't desided on 2 stroke or 4. Guess I need some clarification on some things there. I'm told I have to rejet the 2 stroke constantly. Like if I go riding in the desert at 2300 feet then go to the mountains and ride at 6000-8000 feet I have to rejet the 2 stroke? Okay so I need that clarified. The bike needs to be able to pick up the front tire on demand. Then I want it to have some good suspension. I'm thinking along the lines of a race bike. The bike will be used mainly for trail riding. I'm not partial to any brand as long as it is a dependable bike. Give me your thoughts and ideas.

So far I'm kicking around the following.
CRF150R (Worried its going to lack power though)(That and its a little heavy in my opinion)
KTM85sx (Again not sure about the two stokes but like the height)
KTM125exc (Figured I could put a kuba link in) (Alot heaver then the 85 though)
KX100 (Love the size but not sure on the 2 stroke?)

all good bikes, but a small bore 2 stroke can have a mean hit and also weak bottom end without work to them. The 150R runs with the 85smokers and I don't think it will be too heavy. One you didn't mention was a KLX140. That is a more powered 4stroke smaller than the 230 but lacks the suspension of all the racing bikes you have mentioned but with nice features like start button and a kickstand which none of the above bike mentioned have. If this is for a women, then it really depends on her experience as well. You don’t want to put her on a 85cc 2smoke it takes some real skill to ride one of those bikes in the terrain your talking about. clutch work, clutch work, clutch work. I would choose either, the kx100, crf150R or the KLX140.

Oh, and once you get smoker jetted to run good, you can go up and down in elevation and maybe just turn the air screw in or out to adjust, but no big deal. It might run a little richer or leaner depending on what elevation but not enough to hurt it for a few hours either way.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Smaller displacement engines are more susceptible to altitude changes. Thusly the jetting is "felt" more on a small motor.

I think the 4T is going to be a great starter bike for a beginner in the trails. I have seen the 150Fs stay with the 85s, and have a useable low end for a light rider.
KX100 is a great bike with enough low end to learn on trails.

One BIG question. How long is this person going to be at this weight/height? If it's a growing kid, I would Imagine a 125 2T is not far away.... -BIG DAN :thumb:

the KTM cant use a kouba link cuz they are linkless rear suspension and the 125 EXC is impossible to find any way.

The KX100 is cheap compared to the others. They had no power valve til 98. I had a 95, great bike never broke down and 3 kids learned to ride it. I sold it and got an 02 for the nweest i could get and still be green sticker here in CA. It has PV, it really runs about the same as the old one did. I had the cyl milled to lower prot timing for more low and mid. Thjese motors can have problems with main fialures and PV not being put back together right ruins the system and breaks some parts in the side case if done wrong.

4st are slow n heavy unless you get the 150R, then its expensive and valve issues in a short time.

All will have to re-jetted to run strong at the elev changes you give.

I still like the KX100.

imo the best bike in that selection is the 150R
I had a buddy with one and that little thing hauled the mail and was as reliable as hell

SRAD97750

Staff member
It's not a 2T.
It's a 4T.
It's a honda.
No Pre-mix.
Valve check/adjustment interval can be pretty short.
Who knows how expensive oem parts are.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

For what it is worth, my son has the 150R and it is the small wheel version as he is short. The bike runs very strong and he does a good job keeping up with all the big bikes. I have never done anything to this bike except change the oil and clean the air filter. I have geared it up a tooth on the counter sprocket and it still has good low end for single track and hills but still lacks good top end. Maybe I am used to my bike though. :thinking: I am beginning to think about the next bike for him as he will soon need to expand.

For what it is worth, my son has the 150R and it is the small wheel version as he is short. The bike runs very strong and he does a good job keeping up with all the big bikes. I have never done anything to this bike except change the oil and clean the air filter. I have geared it up a tooth on the counter sprocket and it still has good low end for single track and hills but still lacks good top end. Maybe I am used to my bike though. :thinking: I am beginning to think about the next bike for him as he will soon need to expand.

My kid has the 150R (bigwheel) and he loves it - it sees no off-road duty though, only MX tracks. Has been real strong so far. :thumb:

Is this person an adult or child? That would help my opinion alot

Both! We are looking at getting 3 more bikes. The nice thing is all 3 are all going to be about the same. Everything is about the same except weight varies a little. The kids are closer to 80#.