Shift problem

heaviest load, or maybe it isnt the clutch. Since the poster indicates that it started slipping in 5th and now does it even in low under a load it seems to be progressing and is time to tear it down and see.

Last edited:
Its like the engine is turning and someone grabs back tire but enjine keeps turning in gear
Dont actually try that. Even if someone showed you that you can jack up a semi and stall the duals on one side of your average open differential with no more than body strength :faint:

Dont actually try that. Even if someone showed you that you can jack up a semi and stall the duals on one side of your average open differential with no more than body strength :faint:

I was giving an example of whats happening when its slipping. No grinding noises or anything

Do they do sarcasm where you come from? I caught that it wasnt gears missing and slipping. Did you switch oils again?

No. the only reason I started using the shell was because I ran out of gearsaver and have lots of shell from my 230 that I run as engine oil. I cant get oil in my town I have to go out of town about 2.5hrs to get it and am waiting tell I have a few reasons to go and not just for a jug of oil. I read that people use the shell and said "what the hell" and decided to try it.

Last edited:
I use the 15-40 in lots of things. In my two strokes I usually use ATF. if you take a whiff of the gear saver and look at it they look enough and smell enough alike that I feel like I am using the expensive stuff. I have used atf in big and small two strokes for about 40 years with good results. It may be another alternative for you if you can't always get what you want. SAE 50 is specified for most over the road trucks that have the popular eaton/fuller transmissions and it works just fine too. very cheap. the synthetic version pours reasonably in cooler weather too if you are interested in trying it. You can find it about anywhere you can find oil for a car, a truck, or a tractor. clutch friendly stuff for me so far.

But the 15-40 never made anything slip for me that wasnt already in some kind of mechanical trouble.

I use the 15-40 in lots of things. In my two strokes I usually use ATF. if you take a whiff of the gear saver and look at it they look enough and smell enough alike that I feel like I am using the expensive stuff. I have used atf in big and small two strokes for about 40 years with good results. It may be another alternative for you if you can't always get what you want. SAE 50 is specified for most over the road trucks that have the popular eaton/fuller transmissions and it works just fine too. very cheap. the synthetic version pours reasonably in cooler weather too if you are interested in trying it. You can find it about anywhere you can find oil for a car, a truck, or a tractor. clutch friendly stuff for me so far.

But the 15-40 never made anything slip for me that wasnt already in some kind of mechanical trouble.

Exactly. Thats what i wanted to hear. Maybe just coincidence that it started buggering up even more after i put in the different oil.