RM250 rm250 high revving possibly an air leak

could be an air leak at the base of the cylinder. as the metal expands it causes some imperfection in the cylinder or crankcases to open up enough to let air in. I'm not sure if that's what it is, but it makes sense in my head haha.

could be an air leak at the base of the cylinder. as the metal expands it causes some imperfection in the cylinder or crankcases to open up enough to let air in. I'm not sure if that's what it is, but it makes sense in my head haha.

Nighthawk that does sound like it does make since the top end was done just before this started to happen. Looks like I need to remove the cylinder and replace gasket. I was pretty sure it was a air leak some where. you dont think the Reeds could be causing this. I took them out cant see any visible crackes. Are they supposed to close pretty tight there is a tiny little gap on one side

Nighthawk that does sound like it does make since the top end was done just before this started to happen. Looks like I need to remove the cylinder and replace gasket. I was pretty sure it was a air leak some where. you dont think the Reeds could be causing this. I took them out cant see any visible crackes. Are they supposed to close pretty tight there is a tiny little gap on one side
there should be NO gap

like she said no gaps anywhere. If there is a gap it will cause a massive air leak and make your bike rev like an air hammer

like she said no gaps anywhere. If there is a gap it will cause a massive air leak and make your bike rev like an air hammer

The gap is at the tip of 1 of the blades they are carbon fiber. But that would make it rev all the time right not just when warm or hot.

The gap is at the tip of 1 of the blades they are carbon fiber. But that would make it rev all the time right not just when warm or hot.
oh.. I thought you meant the reed cage, no that wont make it do the high revs. im thinking cylinder base. Check your torque specs and try retorquing your base bolts, same with the cylinder head bolts

Crank seals?
There is a rubber seal between the cases and the crankshaft. It keeps air out just like the gaskets do. When you fork seals fail they let the oil out. when a crank seal fails it lets air in. Normally they are easily replaceable.

Here is a pic

16_Ig_Side_Crank_Seal.jpg

My book says the reeds should not exceed the service limit of .2mm. So if there is a service limit, then wouldn't there be some kind of gap allowed? If they are cracked or chipped now that is different. If they were leaking air it would do it constantly as would the crank seal on the stator side. They clutch side would cause a oil leak and would lead to excessive spooge and loss of clutch oil. I believe NH nailed it with the cylinder base gasket leak.

WAIT!!!
Don't go crazy just yet...(pre-carb) Air filters don't do that.... but you probably need a new one

First things to check when a bike goes insane....

1. Throttle cable routing. You should have a properly routed cable that will not catch or bind on anything. This is my #1 cause for wild engines.
2. Throttle slide backwards? cutout should be on the air filter side
3. Carb cap screwed down all the way? even one thread off and it could be holding the throttle off the stop

Good luck buddy
-BIG DAN
DAN, MY FRIEND, YOU'RE king of the friggin' hill!! YOU WERE RIGHT ON!! I wanna thank you...she's running like a dream! It was just as you said, the filter's fine, no air leaks, header's snug...put premium in it, fresh pre-mix, choke, no throttle, routed the cable right, and Vroooom! she started about the third kick and just runs awesomely! thanks so much, all the other advice had me panicked, thanks for the grounding, and rational path....Mind what you have learned; save you it will!! lol...thanks again!...now, to get that crappy black rattle-can off the rest of the plastic...rm250.left1a.jpg