RM250 rm250 high revving possibly an air leak

Hi guys, got a '90 RM250 that has a fresh carb, but when I went to start it, it started great, then the engine went straight to high revving. Looking for an air leak. Intake boot looks fresh, checking clamps, seals, etc. My air cleaner is old and doesn't quite fit perfectly anymore. Would that cause it?

James

Staff member
Replace the air-filter!
:thumb: I'd start with that.

If that doesn't work; start the bike and spray the boot/clamp areas with carb cleaner. If the engine changes pitch, you found your leak.

Oh and also check to see if your exhaust/header is sealed.

SO MANY OLD RM THREADS :shocked: You found the right place sir
I do believe you're right, Emily...I also have an old honda XL250s I love...but there are different four-stroke forums for those bikes...but this one seems to be the right one for my crusty beloved two-strokes!!! I know there are a lotta you guys that have these bikes, and Suzuki is new for me, but even though they had some problems with the frames on the later years, I'm a-thinking the '90 was a good year for them, lotta RM owners...hope it's a good bike...I think it will be. I know the old YZ is, just needs some attention..spelled with $$ signs, course..!

SRAD97750

Staff member
WAIT!!!
Don't go crazy just yet...(pre-carb) Air filters don't do that.... but you probably need a new one

First things to check when a bike goes insane....

1. Throttle cable routing. You should have a properly routed cable that will not catch or bind on anything. This is my #1 cause for wild engines.
2. Throttle slide backwards? cutout should be on the air filter side
3. Carb cap screwed down all the way? even one thread off and it could be holding the throttle off the stop

Good luck buddy
-BIG DAN

WAIT!!!
Don't go crazy just yet...(pre-carb) Air filters don't do that.... but you probably need a new one

First things to check when a bike goes insane....

1. Throttle cable routing. You should have a properly routed cable that will not catch or bind on anything. This is my #1 cause for wild engines.
2. Throttle slide backwards? cutout should be on the air filter side
3. Carb cap screwed down all the way? even one thread off and it could be holding the throttle off the stop

Good luck buddy
-BIG DAN
thanks Dan, I did wing it when I routed it...I'll check on it.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Some carbs can fit either way. It will start and then rev to the moon. Just make sure the CUT-OUT is twords the airfilter side.
cables in the WR are tight right now since I put on the bar risers. When I make a really sharp left, it REVS OUT. -BIG DAN

I dont mean to Jack this thread but I have a 1999 RM 125 that revs to the moon after you ride it a short time. I let it cool down it will run fine then seams like it warms up and up go the Revs agian. Any ideas