RM125 RM125 motors interchangeable?

Also how many of those jugs of coolant does the 125 take 2?
3/4 of a bottle.
You use the liquid performance high performance racing coolant from RMATV? Now if I remember right the crankcase oil doesn’t reach the crankshaft right? The gas/oil mix cools and lubricates that right?
2 strokes do not share the transmission oil. Crank side is lubed by fuel/oil mix. Depending on where and how you ride, you could need a different flashpoint oil. They are different for different riding. Track low flash point, leisure, high flashpoint

3/4 of a bottle.

2 strokes do not share the transmission oil. Crank side is lubed by fuel/oil mix. Depending on where and how you ride, you could need a different flashpoint oil. They are different for different riding. Track low flash point, leisure, high flashpoint

Well it’s going to be a track ridden bike with very little trail riding. Honestly I’ve never heard of flashloints before. I’ll have to look into that.

LOL, I just can't agree on the 'low, high advice' as far as what they were intended for. Some of the synthetics and their successes have caused a lot of thumbnail rules to be rewritten, but 20 years ago my advice on flashpoints would have been a 180 on Palmer's. And back then people were having success using both lines of logic, but using any castor based oil for "leisure" seldom made the riders of such bikes very happy.

So what oil should I use for the cylinder and needle bearing? The 2 stroke oil, transmission oil or the assembly oil? Bike is almost done. Picking up the cylinder today and that’s the last piece. If one of the crank seals was leaking how would I know?

SRAD97750

Staff member
I use 2T oil for everything in the crankcase because that's what will lubricate later in life. Same for the transmission, it is assembled with trans fluid.

Crank seals should be changed together.
Oil in the exhaust is typically the RH seal, and Lean condition is typically the LH seal.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

So what oil should I use for the cylinder and needle bearing? The 2 stroke oil, transmission oil or the assembly oil? Bike is almost done. Picking up the cylinder today and that’s the last piece. If one of the crank seals was leaking how would I know?

I figure it by years more than anything else. They are cheap and easy to change and fresh ones always make a noticeable difference to me. Seals are much better than they once were, but I am still very reluctant to run past 24 months and more often than not 12 unless I get clues that they are bad sooner. My favorite test for a mag side seal is to start it up, get it warm, take off the mag cover while holding it at a constant high idle: If it picks up speed and sometimes it will really start to sing, you know it just went lean as the cover came off, and you now know the seal is REALLY suspect. If you have a really good and clear vent like some people are prone to run, this test will tell you nothing. Sometimes a rig like a honda which has a clutch cable entering the magneto cavity you can wiggle the cable, lift up a bit etc and get the idle to change. Turning the bars will do it too on occasion.

You ask about cylinder lube, and I prefer nearly dry or even dry to lubed. At the urging of a friend of mine who has built multiple national winning motorcycles, I do my final clean with atf and then rub the cylinder with cloth or paper towels until it comes up clean and is as dry as the towel will leave it. I wet the bearings all the way around, dump a bit (1/2 oz to 1 oz) into the crankcase, lay the bike over on one side for about 5 mins, then flip it over. that lubes the mains.

I figure it by years more than anything else. They are cheap and easy to change and fresh ones always make a noticeable difference to me. Seals are much better than they once were, but I am still very reluctant to run past 24 months and more often than not 12 unless I get clues that they are bad sooner. My favorite test for a mag side seal is to start it up, get it warm, take off the mag cover while holding it at a constant high idle: If it picks up speed and sometimes it will really start to sing, you know it just went lean as the cover came off, and you now know the seal is REALLY suspect. If you have a really good and clear vent like some people are prone to run, this test will tell you nothing. Sometimes a rig like a honda which has a clutch cable entering the magneto cavity you can wiggle the cable, lift up a bit etc and get the idle to change. Turning the bars will do it too on occasion.

You ask about cylinder lube, and I prefer nearly dry or even dry to lubed. At the urging of a friend of mine who has built multiple national winning motorcycles, I do my final clean with atf and then rub the cylinder with cloth or paper towels until it comes up clean and is as dry as the towel will leave it. I wet the bearings all the way around, dump a bit (1/2 oz to 1 oz) into the crankcase, lay the bike over on one side for about 5 mins, then flip it over. that lubes the mains.

I’ve assembled all my motors with a light coating of atf. Stuff works great as an assembly lube.

Excellent thanks for the input guys. I assembled the bike and started her up this past weekend. She runs great! Waiting on a fuel petcock and then she’lol be ready to hit the track! Unfortunately I’m not. After my almost fatal accident I sold my kx450f and all my gear. So now I have to buy all new gear now. Too bad I just bought my son a pw50 or I would’ve scored some great deals for Black Friday/cyber Monday.

As long as you took care of the kids first!!
Well he got a bike does that count? Lol

So the bike runs great but down low it’s a dog out of the hole. I kinda think it’s loading up on fuel cause it’s drinking a lot of gas (for what I think a 125 should) for the short trips I do around the neighborhood. I use to do a full day of hard riding on my kx450f and still had a 1/4-1/2 a tank. I don’t know if I’d get the same with this. It has a 170 main and the air fuel mixture screw is back at stock. When I took it out of the carb during cleaning it was around 5 turns out. I think the manual said 2 or 2 1/2 turns out. So that’s where I have it. I have a 2 stage uni filter and pro circuit full exhaust. I’m using maxim smokeless oil but it still smokes at idle. What do you guys think?