Riding with your fingers on the levers..

I was taught to cover the levers with my pointer fingers while riding. My coach pounded it into my head that it was a necessity for quick brake a clutch work. It works really well for me and now I do it when I ride my harley and bmx bike. It feels very uncomfortable to me to ride without my fingers up on the levers, but I notice when I am out riding at the track or in the desert I am the only one doing it. Does anybody else do this or am I the only loon doing it.

Me too dude, it's a must do, always providing control over your bike. Moving the levers down also help you keep your elbows up providing more control yet. Always one (what I do) or 2 fingers in the dip of each lever.
DSC1145-L.jpg

James

Staff member
Does anybody else do this or am I the only loon doing it.
:lol: Nope you aren't the only one, I ride with fingers on both levers. However I looked through some of the shots I took today and discovered that most A & B guys ride with finger(s) on clutch only. :noidea:

DSC_0036_2.jpg

in the MS class they tell you 4 fingers on both... that jsut dont seem right to me so im usually 1 finger then by the end of the day when im tired ill do 2

James

Staff member
in the MS class they tell you 4 fingers on both... that jsut dont seem right to me so im usually 1 finger then by the end of the day when im tired ill do 2
Yeah 4 fingers is a bit much for off road, our bars tends to move more.

For me, I always at least have a finger on the clutch and sometimes one on the brake also. Seems like it reduces reaction time and makes me feel faster at least:smirk:

I do not agree with all this finger stuff. When I am riding the desert at high speed over some knarly whoops for example, I need to hold on to the bars with everything I got and not just a couple of fingers. Perhaps it is my lightning speed and coordination that allows me to grab a brake or clutch lever at the drop of a dime when needed. I also do not ride my Harley with a finger on the levers at all times. It is entirely on the riding and terrain circumstances.

I do not agree with all this finger stuff. When I am riding the desert at high speed over some knarly whoops for example, I need to hold on to the bars with everything I got and not just a couple of fingers. Perhaps it is my lightning speed and coordination that allows me to grab a brake or clutch lever at the drop of a dime when needed. I also do not ride my Harley with a finger on the levers at all times. It is entirely on the riding and terrain circumstances.

:devil: .... I agree..... :devil: .... :thumb:

As for the hi-speed over whoops thingy... is that possible??? :eek:

Only if you have "lightning speed and coordination" I guess

Actually it can be done.... not by me mind you, my mangina flares up just at the thought of it! I'd rather hit the whoops at a moderate speed to allowthe rear end to hop around uncontrollably swapping from side to side tends to keep me on my toes.... :lol:..... :shocked: