reed cage 97 kx250

One thing though I dunno what happened I rode it for approx 3 to 4 mins on flat ground. At the end of the ride it fully lost all power so I shut it down then stopped. Waited a minute then kicked it over started first kick then rode home. Any one know why this could of occured. Hopefully it was a carby blockage. I shit myself thinking i had seized the engine I pushed the kickstart down with my hand before I kicked it over to make sure still has same conpression.
float stuck :noidea:

Ok cool thx. I just looked at the engine theres radiator fluid leaking out of the head gasket on the left hand side of the bike I tried to tighten the bolts a bit but there fully tight. WTF......its only a little smear of fluid its not running down the side of the barrel I checked the spark plug and its clean...what should I do. Pull the head off or see if it takes itself up. Its just water and pistons equals BAD BAD BAD.

Last edited:
The black head gasket in the first photo with all of the exhaust valves apart. The original head gasket is twice the thickness and a silver colour. I think its a reusable one so ill put thst one backnin it today.

My favorite way when I start all over again is to remove the studs and "clean the deck" off on a lapping table. Most people dont have one (I dont) so about any piece of plate glass(drill press tables or even the table on a table saw work well too) and some very fine emery or crocus cloth works fine too. Yours doesnt look that bad, and when I have to reuse a metal gasket I use some sealer. my favorite is straight aluminum paint. there are plenty of head sealants that us that or copper in a shellac like vehicle to spread. Neither does much for compression leaks but it will help hold steam and water. Cleans off pretty easily too.

Last edited:
My favorite way when I start all over again is to remove the studs and "clean the deck" off on a lapping table. Most people dont have one (I dont) so about any piece of plate glass(drill press tables or even the table on a table saw work well too) and some very fine emery or crocus cloth works fine too. Yours doesnt look that bad, and when I have to reused a metal gasket I use some sealer. my favorite is straight aluminum paint. there are plenty of head sealants that us that or copper in a shellac like vehicle to spread. Neither does much for compression leaks but it will help hold steam and water. Cleans off pretty easily too.

I use a pneumatic line board sander, havnt ever used it on bike motors though, mainly on intake manifolds,heads,and block decks for automotive, works awsome.

I have seen others use those and similar. I see a lot of people using those rubber "finger brushes" on anything that spins fast. I guess I am just hung up on the idea that i feel like I am lapping it. Nothing works like "clean" and evenly torqued to keep the smoke in and the water in the jackets though.

I have seen others use those and similar. I see a lot of people using those rubber "finger brushes" on anything that spins fast. I guess I am just hung up on the idea that i feel like I am lapping it. Nothing works like "clean" and evenly torqued to keep the smoke in and the water in the jackets though.

Yeah, no "finger brushes" for me....I go with the old 3m disc lock, but just on stuff that doesn't have precision mating surfaces, water pumps,timing covers,etc....

Thx guys. I had to go to court today lost my car licence, bastard coppers. So will be pulling working on the bike tomorrow. Ive decided to use the old metal head gasket with some gasket sealant.

The black head gasket in the first photo with all of the exhaust valves apart. The original head gasket is twice the thickness and a silver colour. I think its a reusable one so ill put thst one backnin it today.

I never had much luck with aftermarket gaskets ever. Cosmetic used to be good. Now since it's only a a few cents more I buy the oem and never worry. That what I would do. Just buy the oem.