Recipe and Food Pics thread.

ok heres one for you DBA ... one i made for a chef friend of mine years back and blew his mind. he never thought i could cook cause i usually dont :lol:

Roast Beef & Arugula Crostini with Olive-Red Pepper Relish

Crostini (see recipe below)
3 tablespoons chopped drained roasted red peppers from jar
3 tablespoons slivered pitted black olives (such as Kalamata)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
5 ounces fresh goat cheese, divided
1 ounce baby arugula leaves
16 very thin slices rare roast beef

Prepare Crostini; set aside until ready to use.

In a small bowl, mix red peppers, olives, thyme, and vinegar for relish. NOTE: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.

Reserve 2 tablespoons goat cheese for garnish. Spread remaining goat cheese on toasted baguette slices. Divide arugula among toasts. Fold roast beef slices to fit toasts; place atop arugula. Sprinkle beef slices lightly with salt and pepper. Top each with 1/3 teaspoon reserved goat cheese and small dollop of pepper/olive relish. Arrange crostini on platter and serve.

Makes 16 servings.

CROSTINI:
16 1/4-inch-thick diagonal baguette bread slices
Extra virgin olive oil

Arrange the bread slices in a baking tray. Brush with olive oil and bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Allow to cool before adding toppings.
vicy6t.jpg

Took this from a Hawaiian cook book we have and served this as an "get the BBQ started" type thing. It was a complete HIT!!!!

here goes....
2rxe903.jpg

1 Large Pineapple uncut
1/2 cup rum
2 tsp lemon juice(i got skeeby and forgot them in the pics but it was freshly squeezed of course)
3 tbs honey
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup pineapple juice

ok so first thing you want to do is cut the top and the bottom of the pineapple. about a inch and half from top and bottom. set the pieces aside.

Now if you have a pineapple corer that would be best if not you want to carefully cut close to the inside edge of the pineapple to remove all the good pineapple meat. Decore and cut into equal size squares and set aside.

Now take some toothpicks and secure the bottom of the pineapple to the cored out shell. should look like this....
331m9ud.jpg

now for the dipping sauce.

its pretty simple.... add all the ingredients including the pineapple squares and put in fridge for a minimum of 3 hours but 24 hours is best.

right before you are ready to serve get a good knife and cut off all of the prickly leafy stuff that is on the pineapple to make the outer skin smooth as possible without ruining the integrity of the shell.

Next is placing the Can of sterno in the pineapple. You have a couple options. One is to set it on top of something like a can or you can use some toothpicks or BBQ skewers to stick through the pineapple to make a shelf. What you want is for the can to be about a inch below the top of the pineapple.

Next take toothpicks and stab pineapple chunks then poke them into the outside skin of pineapple. continue until pineapple looks like some kind of funny version of Pinhead from hellraiser. Present the pineapple however you would like such as a center piece. Serve sauce in a dipping bowl. light the Sterno can. Grab a pineapple and dip in the rum sauce then heat it over the fire of the sterno.

See by this point i was already getting a buzz and when i set that thing down they started going fast as fuck so i didnt even think to take a pic. I did find the same sketch that was in our cookbook so here is that instead...sorry

ioknq9.jpg

trust me tho... im not a huge rum fan but these things could get dangerous.

PS.... we quickly learned that you could use this amount of sauce with 2 or 3 pineapples. Our 1st thing of pineapple went very fast so next time i would get 2 pineapples, use one for the presentation and the other for the extra pineapple meat.

Beer Battered Shrimp with Crab Dip

3502629486_5b40822e93_o.jpg

boo i forgot the garlic in pic AGAIN!!!!

Crab Sauce Ingredient list
1 cup finely chopped crab meat
6 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
couple splashes of Worcestershire sauce
couple splashes of Tabasco Sauce
dash of Cayenne Pepper
2 to 3 cloves of crushed and finely chopped garlic.
salt

Mix everything together and let stand in the fridge for a couple hours
3502629546_7e5e2d0189_o.jpg

3501815951_ee55b30c62_o.jpg

Ingredient list
1 pound Jumbo Shrimp
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
12 ounces of beer
2 tablespoons of Parsley
3 large egg whites
vegetable oil(or whatever oil you use for deep fry)
slice of lemon
salt

First we will make our batter.
in a large bowl mix the flour, salt and cayenne. Gradually whisk in the beer until smooth. Then add Parsley

In a new medium sized bowl beat the egg whites with a mixer set on high untill soft peaks form.
3502629662_82eba98c9e_o.jpg

then fold into the beer mixture.

Now peel the shrimp cut out the vein but leave the tail on. Get your Deep frier up to temp. Dip the shrimp in the batter coating it generously and slowly add to the fryer.
3502629748_e6ba6196a5_o.jpg

Let fry for 2 mins then remove and let rest on a paper towel or a oven rack. Tip: Dont put to many shrimp in your fryer at once. You do not want them to stick together.
Plate Shrimp & Crab Dip, Garnish dip with a couple sprinkles of Parsley and a few slices of a Lemon.
3501816171_14b20bd21c_o.jpg

Pan-broiled Steak with Tomatoes & Garlic and sushi

3499765774_d62ffb33b8_o.jpg

forgot garlic in pic DOH!!!

ingredient list
1/4 cup olive oil
tsp finely chopped garlic
2 cups of peeled seeded & coarsely chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 1/2lb rib eye cut steak

first up to bat is to heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet or saucepan.
over medium heat. Once its hot remove from the heat then add garlic
3499765968_c15af63e15_o.jpg

and stir for about 30 seconds with a wooden spoon.
3499766064_ce859b880f_o.jpg

Now add Tomatoes
3498950021_479e7d72f7_o.jpg

add the Oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a few grindings of pepper
3499766180_effe557d3c_o.jpg

cook over medium heat, stirring frequently. It should take about 5 mins or so to boil off most of the tomato liquid. but here is what it looks like half way through that process
3498950441_4693ea53e9_o.jpg

Once that liquid is condensed down enough remove from heat and set aside

Now we are gonna cook the steak.
First 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet and heat on high. we want to brown each side of the steak for 1 to 2 mins.
3498950553_96263e5f37_o.jpg

Now reduce the heat to medium and spoon the tomato sauce over and around the steak edges.
3499766458_7ecb7092f2_o.jpg

cover and cook for 3 to 4 mins or until the steak is done to your own taste. scrape all the sauce on the steak and leave it in the pan to saute for a min or 2 but you want to scrape all the meat and stuff that is stuck to the bottom of the pan.
3499766642_fcae01cda9_o.jpg

while that is sauteing get your Sushi station ready.... I did all my prep of slicing and making of the rice before i ever started the steak so it was all ready.
3498950733_5a61941116_o.jpg

Ill go into the prep of all the ingredients and what kind of Sushi i will make right now. The sushi is California Rolls but the style is an Inside out roll.

First off is the rice. put 1 cup of Japanese short grain rice in a sieve and submerge in water. wash it thoroughly and discard the milky water. repeat till the water is not milky and let stand in the sieve for 30 mins then drain.
Or you can buy some that is washed :shrug:
add the rice and 1 1/4 cup water to a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. reduce heat to very low cover and simmer for 30 mins don't open the lid for anything until that 30 mins is up.
while that is going we want to make a vinegar mixture. so heat 4 tablespoons of Japanese Rice Vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 tsp of salt stirring until the sugar and salt have dissolved. DO NOT allow it to boil. Set it aside and let it cool.
Once the rice is done move it to a salad bowl or to a pre soaked rice tub if you have one. poor a little of the vinegar mixture over the rice. Spread the rice evenly in the bowl or tub. slowly add a little more vinegar mixture using a slicing motion to separate and coat the rice. Fan the rice to help cool it and continue to add the vinegar mixture in the rice with the spatula until it looks glossy. I only needed about half of the vinegar mixture that i cooked. You need to play it by eye so just watch the rice and stop when it all looks glossy. let it sit at room temp.
Now i chopped my carrots, crab, cucumber into pencil sized square strips. hold off on the avocado slicing until you are ready to make the sushi. put everything in the fridge until you are ready to make your roll.

Now back to the point where we just removed the steak. Just leave the steak away from heat and it will cook a bit more and leave the sauce in a pan but off the heat.
First off with the sushi is to mix 3 tbs of rice vinegar with 8 oz of water and put in a bowl and set aside.
lay your bamboo rolling mat on your station and cover it with plastic wrap. Break (or cut) 1 Nori Sheet(seaweed paper) in half and place it on the mat.
Dip your hands in the vinegar water take a handfull of rice and place it in the middle of the nori. using your fingers spread the rice evenly across the nori all the way to the edges. now pick up the whole thing and flip it over ninja style.
now lay your cucumber, crab and carrot to the middle. smear some wasabi paste(not a lot you want just a little to accompany the taste not make it spicy. I use wasabi in a tube for this). and mayonnaise along the side. Add the avacado to the top.
3498950893_b4fc63079c_o.jpg

Now lift up the edge of the mat making sure to hold the ingredients in place and roll the to join the 2 edges of the rice and nori sheet together.
Gently squeeze along the length of the roll to mold it together. you need to lift up the front edge to join the 2 edges of nori.
Now spoon sesame seeds on top and use a spoon to spread evenly. You can use fish roe for the topping and its really good as well.
Slice your meat and plate
Pour sauce over meat
Slice your Sushi and plate
plate some ginger(ginger is used to cleanse the pallet after or before a bite of sushi)
mix a little water with Wasabi powder and plate
3499766832_e030846170_o.jpg