Recipe and Food Pics thread.

Ok, so I was a Chef for twenty years and just recently got out of the business two years ago. I miss the fine foods and such so each month I make an amazing meal for me and my girl. I mean you could not even get a meal done like this in most restaurants.

-Citrus Cous Cous Salad with dried cranberry, orange segments, sliced almonds, roasted red peppers, marinated artichoke hearts, butter lettuce, spring mix, shaved Parmesan cheese, and a citrus vinaigrette.

-Creamy Brocolli Cheese Soup with Garlic Crostinis and Basil Oil

-Sauted Spaghetti Squash with White Wine, Chicken Stock, Butter, Roma Tomato, and Fresh Parsley

-Mashed Celery Root and Yukon Gold Potatoes with Grilled Leeks and Garlic Cream.

-Pepper Seared Cherry Wood Smoked Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon 10oz. each.(Very pricey but well worth the squish)

-French Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee with Raspberry Sauce and Grand Marnier Whip Cream.

-One bottle of fine Petite Syrah!

SSPX0034.jpg

SSPX0033.jpg

I could go into details on the prep but this is a two hour prep time just for this meal and there are several skilled techniques used in the knife work. I will try next time to take more step by step pics and get you a better recipe explanation but I just wanted to share this wonderful meal. It was absolutely fantastic! I am so full!
Were you able to get your hands on Prime beef? Prime is all the difference in the world but as you said pricey.:thumb:

Were you able to get your hands on Prime beef? Prime is all the difference in the world but as you said pricey.:thumb:

Yes, I have a wholesale account at the local butcher shop from my catering business. That is where I get my meat. I can get the most outrageous Prime beef around and have it had cut to any specification I want. That's how I get those big 10-12oz. Filet Mignons. You can't buy those the stores and have any descent quality to them. You should see the Prime Ribs I can get. 21 day aged beef is the bomb.

I think Travace and Rock Monster should be the designated Chef's for the next DBA outing :prof:

I am down for a cooking session with Trav. He's got some mad skills in the kitchen. We would make an awesome team. Maybe New Years at Spangler.

Yes, I have a wholesale account at the local butcher shop from my catering business. That is where I get my meat. I can get the most outrageous Prime beef around and have it had cut to any specification I want. That's how I get those big 10-12oz. Filet Mignons. You can't buy those the stores and have any descent quality to them. You should see the Prime Ribs I can get. 21 day aged beef is the bomb.

I am down for a cooking session with Trav. He's got some mad skills in the kitchen. We would make an awesome team. Maybe New Years at Spangler.
Not only prime, but aged prime.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: Yum.:prof:

No, Prime should be available at your local butcher specialty shop. I have never seen Prime in a Raley's or Safeway or any place like that. You must go to the independent butcher to get it or a wholesaler. Most restaurants do not actually use Prime as the customer does not usually want to pay that much for a steak dinner. Most restaurants use Choice or Select cuts of beef. The only restaurants that I have seen running Prime meat on their menu usually have their own cattle farm.

i wish my local butcher had the facility to do aged. they dont tho so if i want the best meat i gotta drive like 3 or 4 citys away from me to a butcher that carrys it.

RM quick question... have you ever done a whole rabbit? in the style that they do whole pigs with a apple or something stuffed in its mouth? i seen a recipe for a whole rabbit that was done this way and i always wanted to do it. not only for the taste but it was a nice presentation with vegtables and all the fixings around it. My local butcher sells whole rabbit so i want to do it but i lost the recipe i had seen.

My trusted source for great recipe when I'm not creating my own is foodnetwork.com. Check them out for a recipe. I have done a whole rabbit but it was probably 15 years ago and I don't have the recipe. It should not be that hard to do. I would suggest possibly deboning it first.

Is it true that prime is "usually" dedicated to resteraunts and caterers, etc...before the public gets any (if any)? I've had it before when my dad was in the cattle biz but not since.....:cry:
Prime is available at some Costco's, Whole Foods, maybe Bristol Farms and Gelsons as well as specialty butchers. Depending on the cut and aging expect to pay 14-25 dollars a pound for New York Strip steaks. Most of the regular stores just carry "select" which usually is just OK. The difference between select and choice is dramatic, prime is better still and prime which has been aged (served at fine restaurants) is the shit.:thumb: Costco regular beef is at a minimum "choice", which is more than acceptable to eat.:ride: Not that I know much about meat though.:smirk:

My trusted source for great recipe when I'm not creating my own is foodnetwork.com. Check them out for a recipe. I have done a whole rabbit but it was probably 15 years ago and I don't have the recipe. It should not be that hard to do. I would suggest possibly deboning it first.
Great advice. The absolutely best site for recipes. It is the one I use most of the time.:prof:

Costco meat is acceptable and I have used it in many of the restaurants I have worked at. I however have become a meat snob and buy from the local guy. :thumb:

No, Prime should be available at your local butcher specialty shop. I have never seen Prime in a Raley's or Safeway or any place like that. You must go to the independent butcher to get it or a wholesaler. Most restaurants do not actually use Prime as the customer does not usually want to pay that much for a steak dinner. Most restaurants use Choice or Select cuts of beef. The only restaurants that I have seen running Prime meat on their menu usually have their own cattle farm.

I have one right around the corner...He also buys his beef from a feed lot/processing plant in California (Harris) right off the 5 fwy can't remember exactly where...My dad use to do biz with them back in the day...I was very impressed when I saw it. Nice to know where your meat comes from..:thumb: