Reasons to check your reeds frequently

SRAD97750

Staff member
So, I thought I'd check my reeds, since I hadn't even peeked at them since I bought this thing.
Good thing too... They were mighty chipped...

reed.jpg

Also, once I had pulled off the reed cage and intake boot, I thought I'd have a look at the piston.

Everything looked really nice from the intake port. Pulled out my Snap-On boroscope and checked out the piston head through the spark plug hole.
Too rich I have decided. Probably because of the ripped reeds...

For no apparent reason, I stuck my boroscope into the intake to check out the crank and bottom of the piston. Then I saw it. And quickly pulled the cylinder...

pis1.jpg

pis2.jpg

DOH!! :banghead:
Doing my part in researching Ebay and Boyesen I've got the repair cost down to $218, shipped. :ride:

WHAT A CATCH. I can't imagine how much further I could have gotten on this piston before the skirt let go. I would have been stranded miles and miles from the truck... :shocked:

-BIG DAN:thumb:

So, I thought I'd check my reeds, since I hadn't even peeked at them since I bought this thing.
Good thing too... They were mighty chipped...

reed.jpg

Also, once I had pulled off the reed cage and intake boot, I thought I'd have a look at the piston.

Everything looked really nice from the intake port. Pulled out my Snap-On boroscope and checked out the piston head through the spark plug hole.
Too rich I have decided. Probably because of the ripped reeds...

For no apparent reason, I stuck my boroscope into the intake to check out the crank and bottom of the piston. Then I saw it. And quickly pulled the cylinder...

pis1.jpg

pis2.jpg

DOH!! :banghead:
Doing my part in resaerching Ebay and Boyesen I've got the repair cost down to $218, shipped. :ride:

WHAT A CATCH. I can't imagine how much further I could have gotten on this piston before the skirt let go. I would have been stranded miles and miles from the truck... :shocked:

Damn... Nice catch lol........ was you having any other problems... or just checking on things... hows the cylinder

SRAD97750

Staff member
I was experiencing ZERO problems prior to tear down. Quiet, smooth operation. Easy starting.
I just needed to check the reeds and was contemplating checking ring gap. Gap ended up being 0.031" which is double the acceptable gap.
Cylinder is in EXCELLENT condition. Standard bore and piston is an original ART piston. All in EXCELLENT condition despite the crack.
I guess it's just time to for a top end.... I have put near 1200 dirt miles on it since June 2010 -BIG DAN:thumb:

I was experiencing ZERO problems prior to tear down. Quiet, smooth operation. Easy starting.
I just needed to check the reeds and was contemplating checking ring gap. Gap ended up being 0.031" which is double the acceptable gap.
Cylinder is in EXCELLENT condition. Standard bore and piston is an original ART piston. All in EXCELLENT condition despite the crack.
I guess it's just time to for a top end.... I have put near 1200 dirt miles on it since June 2010 -BIG DAN:thumb:
You will sing another tune when you put it back together. Fresh topend and new sealed reeds.....better start doing your push-ups and arm curls..

I doubt you would have been more then 500 yards away from the looks of that crack, and I'm an expert on crack. You need to go buy a lotto ticket. :hail:

After looking at the picture of your piston again, I see some chips, you might want to flush out the tranny. They may be small but while you are in it, might as well do it up right. Get a magnet drain plug if you don't have one already...

You will sing another tune when you put it back together. Fresh topend and new sealed reeds.....better start doing your push-ups and arm curls..

+1 on that. Engine degradation is usually a slow gradual process. You don't really notice it. You should be pleasantly surprised at the new power.

After looking at the picture of your piston again, I see some chips, you might want to flush out the tranny. They may be small but while you are in it, might as well do it up right. Get a magnet drain plug if you don't have one already...

A 2 stroke crankcase is seperate from the tranny. And you call yourself a professional stand sitter. :picard:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Just wait until it's all back together. Going to rip.

Fresh topend and new sealed reeds.....better start doing your push-ups and arm curls..

You should be pleasantly surprised at the new power.
I think so too. I'm getting excited!!!

...and I'm an expert on crack. You need to go buy a lotto ticket. :hail:
Good to know, I'll split my millions with you.

After looking at the picture of your piston again, I see some chips, you might want to flush...
Agreed, I have flushed and cleaned and flushed again. Luckily it's a two stroke(separate sumps). Otherwise I would do transmission/crank bearings while I had it apart.

...how much you pay for that boroscope??
Mine is the base model. Got it for $375 with a jacket and hat.... you know how tool guys are...
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=21604&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Anyways, Thanks everyone! I ordered the parts and have everything cleaned and sealed while I'm waiting.
Since it's a 500. I had to remove the entire engine to remove the cylinder from the cases. So, I get to do alot of cleaning and maintenance behind the scenes. :thumb:

Time to do it all I guess. These prices include shipping to my door.
1. Piston kit $146
2. Wrist pin bearing $11
3. Gasket set $19
4. Power reeds $35
5. New front brake master cylinder $54
Backup items for down the road
6. Backup Front and rear wheel bearings $30
7. Backup brake pads (2 sets of front and rear) $34
8. Backup fork seals $24
TOTAL $355
I knew I wanted something for my birthday... I just didn't know I wanted this stuff!