Pro Racing Consistently

I think that we are talking about several different levels of "privateers." There are the local guys who might be able to qualify for the local national MX or SX. Monday through Friday they are working guys like the rest of us. They can't go on the tour because they have to make a living. Then there are efforts that the announcers call privateers, but since they race the series they have other means of support. They have sponsors and support so riding is their job. They might be barely scraping by, but they are truly professional racers.

The sport has been changing that is for sure. In to old days it was the factory teams and guys in box vans. Now the top tier is the factory teams, but we also have a large second tier of teams like Chad Reed's effort, Jo Gibbs, and even somewhat smaller teams like BTO. This allows for a lot more true pro riders than there used to be.

I guess I'm leaving out family support. This is a big part of the equation. I don't care how much talent you have. If your folks don't support your racing, the chances of breaking into the big leagues is small. Not only do the parents need to have a desire to support their kids racing career, they need to have the $$$ as well. Out of those 150 who entered Pala, I bet quite a few arrived in a motorhome or other large rig, but that rig was owned by mom and/or dad.

I'm sure that there were a few in a box van or other modest rig. I sure hope that a few of them made the cut and raced the main event.