Pro Racing Consistently

It's an expensive sport. Some of those privateers have to pay their own way to the track and the bike is waiting for them when they get there.

Just because you have a ride for the entire season doesn't mean that you will actually ride the entire season. A good percentage of the riders with points get a minor injury during the season and miss a few races. Others, like say Canard, do something more serious and that's is for the rest of the season. It's not all skill and being able to get to the races. You need to be lucky and not get hurt as well.

Just because you have a ride for the entire season doesn't mean that you will actually ride the entire season. A good percentage of the riders with points get a minor injury during the season and miss a few races. Others, like say Canard, do something more serious and that's is for the rest of the season. It's not all skill and being able to get to the races. You need to be lucky and not get hurt as well.

I agree as with most sports especially contact sports, take football for instance...no player expects to blow his knee out but it happens...could be a short stint on the DL (if they're lucky) or a career ender.

James

Staff member
It's an expensive sport. Some of those privateers have to pay their own way to the track and the bike is waiting for them when they get there.

Yeah I understand all that, I'm just surprised that there are so few of them. Out of the 102 (450) riders that have qualified, only 9 have been at every race. And 13 of the 88 (250) riders have been at all races.
http://americanmotocrossresults.com/data/2011/10/250_points.pdf

:prof: they may show up every weekend but that doesn't mean they are fast enough to get into the show.

You're right ...this past weekend I was watching the beginning of the race in Mass...can't remember the name) but there was a local kid that raced on that track all the time who was faster than everyone else in qualifying. I think that was the last time we saw him...fast just not fast enough when it counted!

back in the day it was alot of money and effort to get out and ride the semi pro stuff...especially in winter and trying to go to Florida and race every wknd. gas was $.75 a gallon and I had alot of help from local shops.... nowadays guys have 3 or 4 bikes and they need extrs engines and then the rigs.... I did all my stuff out of an 81 Ford Econoline... never again though :smirk:

James

Staff member
back in the day it was alot of money and effort to get out and ride the semi pro stuff...especially in winter and trying to go to Florida and race every wknd. gas was $.75 a gallon and I had alot of help from local shops.... nowadays guys have 3 or 4 bikes and they need extrs engines and then the rigs.... I did all my stuff out of an 81 Ford Econoline... never again though :smirk:
Only the top few guys are on that level, the privateers are still doing what you did.

Only the top few guys are on that level, the privateers are still doing what you did.

there are some local pro's you might recognize
Lowell Spangler
Garret Toth
Dakota Kessler
Joey Peters...

all running 3 bikes and giant toter homes.... they say thats the normal set up these days and hope to afford a semi :shocked:
Spanglers rig was off the fricken hook loaded with bikes andjust a step below a semi.... nice set up for sure.

James

Staff member
there are some local pro's you might recognize
Lowell Spangler
Garret Toth
Dakota Kessler
Joey Peters...

all running 3 bikes and giant toter homes.... they say thats the normal set up these days and hope to afford a semi :shocked:
Spanglers rig was off the fricken hook loaded with bikes andjust a step below a semi.... nice set up for sure.
:shocked: I think we're talking about two different types/levels of privateers. :lol:

There are still guys/privateers that work out of their box truck and don't have all the sponsor dollars yet.

James

Staff member
Something like these?

volvo%20004.jpg

TP's hauler

travis%20pastrana%20racer.jpg

Front end of one of SH's garage toters.
frontstorage1.gif

:thinking: I have a cousin that designs these for Showhauler, maybe see if someday I can get a family discount. :smirk:

they run the busses with the travel trailers or the ones a size smaller than TPs.. like this...

335x243

or they will roll in something like this while towing a 18' trailer..
335x243

I would settle for this...
fourwindssiesta1th.jpg

:shocked: I think we're talking about two different types/levels of privateers. :lol:

There are still guys/privateers that work out of their box truck and don't have all the sponsor dollars yet.

I seriously doubt the guy running out of a pick up or an old uhaul truck is lining up next to Chad Reed, that guy couldn't afford the parts it takes to run a race bike at the pro level.

James

Staff member
I seriously doubt the guy running out of a pick up or an old uhaul truck is lining up next to Chad Reed, that guy couldn't afford the parts it takes to run a race bike at the pro level.
So you're telling me that all the 77 (250 class) and 78 (450 class) entries for Pala, showed up in nice motorhomes and trailers?

Last year I walked through the pits at Indy supercross, while there were a lot of the factory rigs, there was also a couple guys working out of little box trucks. Not everyone has that kind of money, but they still have the talent (and heart) to go out and try. :thumb: