Plumber anyone??

Anyone a licensed plumber or have a good bud that is a licensed plumber? I need to bounce a question off of them or you. Or does anyone have at Tank less water heater in their house now. I have been thinking of installing one in my new house I am having built but hear mixed reviews. Issue one is my house is going to be all electric no gas. I am going to have a 500 gal propane tank set but only for certain things but didn't want to use it for this. So how well do the electric models work?

so how well does it actually work, I am putting propane on my lot but really only wanted it for cooking and backup heat. Does it use a lot of propane?

No licenses here, but I do know thing or two.

With tankless electric you will need to consult the electricians too. Since you are heating from cold to hot on demand they use a massive amount of juice. A typical whole house tanklees electric can be 24 kw. That's 100 amps at 240. If you don't have a 200 amp service, forget about it. I'd expect a 200 amp service at any new construction. A 300 amp service would be better because then you can go more powerful.

Tankless propane will likewise use a ton of gas while it's running, but none when it's not.

well mine will be a new install so Not worried about what they need to run to install it. I am sure they will do that correctly, I am more concerned about is it actually worth the extra $$ to get one or is it just hype that will take 20years to recoup the difference?

Only Solar will take 15-20 years to recoup the cost! :prof:

It depends. With our insane SoCal electricity rates and ample sun it can actually make sense. Ever had a $400 electric bill? I have. It's scary. When I looked recently panels and inverters are about $1.30 a watt. A little over $2 a watt with all the hardware and wiring. It's a money making business because a full solar install is quoted at $4.50 to $5.50 a watt. It's hard to actually come up with a hard number because there are a lot of variables but I think that I'd pay it off in 5 years. A professional install, more like 10+.

The zero down solar lease offers are a scam big time. Sure you will save some, but not all that much.

I am thinking about going solar at the moment. My electric bill last month was $205. My monthly average usage is 1,022KWH over the last 12 months (Nov-Nov). Average bill over that period was $245. With the pool and my love of air conditioned air, it pencils out. A neighbor on my street is an installer so we have been talking.....

I bet you wish you had a builder buddy to call with 15 or so plumbing and electrical contractors to source information from...... I also bet you wished you had his phone number
:picard:

Tankless in electric or gas is the way to go. I prefer electric but do your energy star research to see which is the most cost effective. My guy says electric.

I bet you wish you had a builder buddy to call with 15 or so plumbing and electrical contractors to source information from...... I also bet you wished you had his phone number

Tankless in electric or gas is the way to go. I prefer electric but do your energy star research to see which is the most cost effective. My guy says electric.

Why would he need to so any research when he has you?

Your house is going to be all electric? What kind of heat will you have?

BTW you building a new house or something?
yes, my house will be all electric. The area I am building is has no gas. My last house didn't have any gas in the neighborhood either. We heat with a furnace/heat pump.

Yep trying to build a new house. I have the land and a builder just waiting to start but this weather is killing the process. If I hear the term Polar vortex one more :foul: time. I am so over winter...

Mike?? is that you?? I didn't know you frequented this forum? I would have never expected to hear from you. :picard: Why ask one, when you can ask many at once :smirk:

As always I respect your expertise brother. :thumb: