Opinions..

I asked my buddy, Step-N-A-Half Johnson, who lives just up yonder from me, about this very issue just the other day and got this response today:

"Naturaledge, I'm glad you asked about the idle issue. Let me just say, for the past 48 years I have been firing up my chainsaw to warm up - then I go back to polish off a quart of Whiskey so I'm good and loose when I hit the trees. My chainsaw has never let me down, well except for that time that it took half my leg off. Yeah, I say, let 'em idle."

Pretty much sums it up for me. :prof:

If you want your two stroke to idle, just adjust it to (including jetting.) It isn't a matter of hurting the engine anymore so than a 4 stroke (put a really high lift cam in an XR Honda and let it idle for long periods if you want to see damage from lack of lubrication). In both cases I don't like to run them any longer than necessary. I just don't have a need for them to run when I am not riding past warm up and necessary pauses. If you want yours to die, then set it up for that. It isn't a reliability issue for me.

Last edited:
Mike, Michael, Mikey, not once have I been not calm. Here is why, I work fast paced government, (like you, but not looking for coffee and donuts on every corner). I get my Dirt Bag Addiction when I have a chance to sit down with the porcelain goddess and share with her what I ate. I am definitely calm in this position. Get it, got it, good? Have a splendid day!
Or did I get your occupation wrong?
Oh, and ok, a little warm, like it idles longer than a minute.
:lol:

But Palmer its still a 2T engine.

But 2smoke a chain saw/small 2T engines have a cooling fan to move air over them while they are on! Chain saws/small 2T engines are not depending on air flow across the radiators or engine while moving for that mater. So the subject is: if YOU the owner of YOUR bike want it to sit and IDLE ALL FUCKING DAY LONG go ahead and let YOUR FUCKING BIKE IDLE ALL DAY LONG. Even if I set my idle screw up to let my bike idle, I would shut the FUCKING THING OFF after 30 seconds or so waiting for the regroup of riders.
Yes, I am an ASS and I have a FUCKING OPINION TOO.
Damn, that was a good SHIT!