Opinions..

How does my 2 stroke idle? I adjusted the screws today and just want to see what u guy think.. the cylinder head gets a little warm in like 20 secs when idiling is this okay? I just want to make sure everythings good

Last edited:
Cold bike, let it warm up! Actually, in all honesty, a 2 stroke when warm should not idle alone for longer than a minute. The engine starves for oil when it is at idle, thats what the old guys have told me anyway, so thats what I suggest.
I have also been told never turn fuel off and let the carb run dry as many do. When the bike starts to run out of fuel, guess what? no oil on those parts that are still moving.

Cold bike, let it warm up! Actually, in all honesty, a 2 stroke when warm should not idle alone for longer than a minute. The engine starves for oil when it is at idle, thats what the old guys have told me anyway, so thats what I suggest.

I have also been told never turn fuel off and let the carb run dry as many do. When the bike starts to run out of fuel, guess what? no oil on those parts that are still moving.

Not discounting what either of you say however if the motor is running either pre-mix or injected (oil... back in 73)... oil is still getting to the required locations is it not??? Once the motor stops THEN the oil stops flowing but it doesn't matter because it's off. ... :noidea:

The rev up before the fuel is gone if you shut the gas off and keep it running is a spike in mixture. NOT GOOD FOR A 2T at all. I'll take advice from and old racers before I listen to anyone else....

So should I set my bike to not idle? I feel like it would be a issue in the woods if it dident..
You can set your bike to idle but what we are saying is, it is a race bike not meant to set in the woods and idle. Will it cause it to seize? probably not. Will cause pre-mature wear on engine components? Less fuel means less oil on moving parts. Why take the chance. How hard is it to kick start a 2stroke back up? If you are just stopped to wait on a buddy to catch up, sure let it sit there and idle for a minute but if have to stop to clear a trail or help a buddy get up a hill. Shut it off.

Jetting on my bikes is tits, mixture is 32:1 with premium pump/Sunoco 4:1 sometimes. We will see how many hours Joe and I get out of our rebuilds. News as soon as they die. Oh, and my plugs look beautiful without a chop test. :prof:
I do run the iridium plugs for 4.00 more than stock.