Other Oil bleed bolt

Broke at the head of the bolt. First oil change and I followed the manual to the letter. When I tried to loosen the bolt it broke. The threads are stuck in the hole. Brand new TTR230 literally three weeks old. Not sure what I expect for advice. Just ranting a bit I guess. :banghead:

2013. New to me and brand new. 90 day warranty should cover it. Shop I bought it from is about an hour away so I have that to look forward too.

2013. New to me and brand new. 90 day warranty should cover it. Shop I bought it from is about an hour away so I have that to look forward too.

If thats the biggest dilemma than your golden. Call ahead of time and talk to the knowledgeable one first. No since in driving all the way only to find out the knucklehead is in charge!

Wow, that bolt must be Chinese crap on a Jap bike. :noidea: Hard to believe it could snap off when you try to loosen it. Palmer has the good advise here so good luck with the shop. Keep us posted.

Wow, that bolt must be Chinese crap on a Jap bike. :noidea: Hard to believe it could snap off when you try to loosen it. Palmer has the good advise here so good luck with the shop. Keep us posted.

While the bolt in question might be of Chinese origin, I'd lay odds that it was over torqued and snapped on the removal attempt.

Or someone don't know righty tighty, lefty loosey :smirk: Shortshift did that :picard: turning the wrong way trying to pull his drain plug
I am going to go with this along with crappy material. Cases are aluminum and bolts steel so the threads in the case should be the first thing to give way I would think.

Here's a pic: (sorry for it being sideways).
I called the dealership and they basically laughed at me saying it is not under warranty because I did the service. I call another shop and they said bring it in and we will try to get yamaha to cover it.
brokenbolt_zps561b03d8.jpg

I would not deal with the shop that laughed at you for this. There is really no big deal here and the dealer that said to bring it in should have someone with a brain be able to drill it and get it out with an easy out. It is a relatively easy fix here, better than stripping the threads out. Keep us posted. :thumb:

I'm hoping it's an easy out! I would attempt this myself after looking into the process more but what you can't see is the part of the frame is in the way. This bolt sits at an angle facing the frame and it's a tight fit. So off to the shop tomorrow morning. I may start replacing more bolts on this bike just in case....

I would bet that a bolt extractor would work on that. They are like a "counter sink bit" but cut in revers thus spining it out. You might have the chance of spinning it into the case rather than out. Just a thought. Might be able to put a small blade hobby knife on it a turn it out, can't be that tight.

Interesting thought about the hobby knife. Weird that the picture was sideways when I posted it and now it's not. Anyways I have a few 11 blades so I'll try that.