number letter's meaning

One thing I am curious about is what do the letters after the numbers on you bike mean for what riding style? I mean I know like 55x is like trail racing and stuff but what do the others mean? Thanks!

YD - good question. I can only speak for CMRC which is the Canadian sanctioning body. When you apply for your racing licence, you get to pick your number as long as someone doesn't have it. For example, you could apply for a #1 plate but someone already earned that plate. My son wanted #7 when he started when he was real young because he liked Bubba but that plate would already be taken so I applied for #777 for him and low and behold nobody had that # so he got it. Once you own a number, it's yours as long as you pay your licence fee by the designated date. Once we started racing in the states, there was another kid running that number so my kid ran 177 which wasn't taken. At the end of that season, we had to buy another licence and the other kid hadn't got his application in on time so my kid got #777 again and can own that number for as long as he wants as long as his fees are in by the deadline. The other kid, by the way, ran #777x last season and my son and he ended up being great friends. :thumb:

Which one of us? For me I'm asking what the letter after the number stands for. Like 777x or 253H

Oh... Uh I'm not sure they have a meaning other than the number was already taken. Like when I ran the 6 hour I had a guy that always ran 57 but since I signed up before him he had to put 57x

James

Staff member
I can only speak for CMRC which is the Canadian sanctioning body. When you apply for your racing licence, you get to pick your number as long as someone doesn't have it.....Once you own a number, it's yours as long as you pay your licence fee by the designated date.
Your amateur series makes you pick a unique number? What happens when over 999 people apply? Most districts in the States don't let you register your number and you just have to hope that no one else gets it in your area. Some districts do require you to use the last 3 digits of your AMA number though, others only recommend it.

Don't quote me on this since my California Racing Club(CRC) membership expired in the late '90s, but I want to say that the trailing letter at the end of rider numbers denoted class. I think x was for beginners. I seem to recall that the number was also assigned, not picked by me. Since the CRC went defunct with the closing of the Los Angeles County Raceway MX track back in September, I can't look up the information anymore.

my numbers for rec track riding are usually 814 for the month 8 (august) and 14 (birth date) but im not sure for racing

And, we have to have the appropriate color for your background:prof: Denotes your class. You're welcome for this informative AND roost worthy post.....