250F New WR shifting rough.

Hey guys picked up an 08 WR250 Hold over. I have never owned a new bike so I'm learning all the ends and outs of them.

I changed the oil the dealer put in it cause I think they over filled it cause the clutch drag was terrible. The oil changed fixed that issue.

But she seems to shift a little rough. Almost like the clutch isn't completely in or something. Any ideas?

James

Staff member
But she seems to shift a little rough. Almost like the clutch isn't completely in or something. Any ideas?
You mean like the clutch isn't completely engaging/disengaging? Have you checked the clutch cable, is the pull not set right? When you pull in the clutch in, with the bike running, does it creep forward?

Uh let me start out with what I have done. From the go.

First when I got the bike home I could fire it up pull in the clutch and shift into first. It actually killed the bike twice. Then I let it warm up and when I kick it in gear the bike would creep. Just out of curiousity I let it and could hit 5mph on the pavement like this.

I started messing with the cable and actually maxed everything out so that the clutch was never engaged. Still had the creep. So I figured it must have to much oil. Dumped the oil (Should have measured it) because it drained a long time. Re filled with the correct amount and re adjusted the cable so that it disengaged about 3/4 the way. Still a little creep but nothing like before.

Thought maybe everything is really tight and just needs ran so we put 50 miles on it running it through the gears in sand, climbing, on trails, the road, a little of everything. When I shift its hard. It acts like the clutch isn't in though the forward momentum has stopped. Shoot to get it into neutral sometimes I have to shut off the bike. Instead of just lifting with my toe to shift I actually use my boot as a lever. Its a chore to shift this beast. Thank god its a 4 stroke or I would have died a few times from it not shifting when I went to shift it down a few times.

Uh let me start out with what I have done. From the go.

First when I got the bike home I could fire it up pull in the clutch and shift into first. It actually killed the bike twice. Then I let it warm up and when I kick it in gear the bike would creep. Just out of curiousity I let it and could hit 5mph on the pavement like this.

I started messing with the cable and actually maxed everything out so that the clutch was never engaged. Still had the creep. So I figured it must have to much oil. Dumped the oil (Should have measured it) because it drained a long time. Re filled with the correct amount and re adjusted the cable so that it disengaged about 3/4 the way. Still a little creep but nothing like before.

Thought maybe everything is really tight and just needs ran so we put 50 miles on it running it through the gears in sand, climbing, on trails, the road, a little of everything. When I shift its hard. It acts like the clutch isn't in though the forward momentum has stopped. Shoot to get it into neutral sometimes I have to shut off the bike. Instead of just lifting with my toe to shift I actually use my boot as a lever. Its a chore to shift this beast. Thank god its a 4 stroke or I would have died a few times from it not shifting when I went to shift it down a few times.
Buddy of mine had the same issue with his WR. He bought his from the original owner. The bike had about 10 hrs on it since new. Did all of the above, no joy. He replaced the clutch plates with new OEM plates and all was well. My only thought is that the original plates had swolen a bit since the bike had sat for so long. Or, there was a warped fiber or steel plate installed since day one.

+1 on the above, didn't see that when first posting.You have something else going on there. Since it is a new bike, I would be loading it up and going back to the dealer and have them work it out for you. Sounds like you could have some clutch plate issues from it setting around or just a bad clutch.

+1 on the above, didn't see that when first posting.You have something else going on there. Since it is a new bike, I would be loading it up and going back to the dealer and have them work it out for you. Sounds like you could have some clutch plate issues from it setting around or just a bad clutch.

I agree with CDA Bryce. A little bit of creep is not that uncommon but this sounds like there is more going on here. Is there a reason you can't take it back to the dealer? Good luck.

I agree with CDA Bryce. A little bit of creep is not that uncommon but this sounds like there is more going on here. Is there a reason you can't take it back to the dealer? Good luck.

Thats the shitty thing. This dealer isn't a yamaha rep. He just sells hold overs and trade ins he picks up at other dealers. So no warrenty. ;0( I'm going to mess with it tonight a little and if nothing works I may be headed to yamaha.

Thats the shitty thing. This dealer isn't a yamaha rep. He just sells hold overs and trade ins he picks up at other dealers. So no warrenty. ;0( I'm going to mess with it tonight a little and if nothing works I may be headed to yamaha.

Oh OK. The good news is that if it turns out to be internal, it's an easy fix and not that expensive to get a clutch kit. Keep us updated. :thumb:

I would do what Mooney said and drop an OEM clutch in it. Replace the plates and springs. I wouldn't do ride it much more if you can not get it working right or yo may fry the basket as well. With no warranty (which blows) you should not this out now before it can get more expensive.

I would do what Mooney said and drop an OEM clutch in it. Replace the plates and springs. I wouldn't do ride it much more if you can not get it working right or yo may fry the basket as well. With no warranty (which blows) you should not this out now before it can get more expensive.

Never attempted a clutch how complex are they? Can you do it with your standard tools?

This will be interesting to see how this goes, my 07 wr needs the clutch kit thing done (sorry, I don't know much about this, and that's what my hubby says he's getting). It creeps(but not consistantly?), and every once in a while it gets hard to shift(like when the bike has sat a while), then when it gets warmed up(?) it shifts better--in which case I just keep it in a gear and quit shifting till it "warms up"(say 20 mins of riding?). It's ALWAYS been a deliberate thing to shift though on this bike, half ass shifting does nada--it's not a nudge with the toe. It shifts easy(maybe even easier?) when you don't use the clutch. There isn't any bang or jump in the tranny when I shift.

I know there is one time when I'm sure my clutch overheated(I could smell a little burning), back on this wonderfully awesome bad nasty bouldery uphill before the 1st gear bog issues got fixed(it use to stall SUPER easy in 1st, so I rarely use it). Otherwise I dont' hang on the clutch, and I'm not actually shifting a lot. The bike bump starts SUPER easy(dunno if that has anything to do with it).

But anyways, hubby was curious of clutches are just bad on the wr's for a few years...I've never had a problem like this with any other bike (although those were a ttr and an xr)

Hub does the creep thing with it, and it's not consistant, also. SO we will do the clutch kit thing and see how that goes.

(and sorry if I sound like an idiot on this, I'd like to learn more:cry: be gentle with me haha)

This will be interesting to see how this goes, my 07 wr needs the clutch kit thing done (sorry, I don't know much about this, and that's what my hubby says he's getting). It creeps(but not consistantly?), and every once in a while it gets hard to shift(like when the bike has sat a while), then when it gets warmed up(?) it shifts better--in which case I just keep it in a gear and quit shifting till it "warms up"(say 20 mins of riding?). It's ALWAYS been a deliberate thing to shift though on this bike, half ass shifting does nada--it's not a nudge with the toe. It shifts easy(maybe even easier?) when you don't use the clutch. There isn't any bang or jump in the tranny when I shift.

I know there is one time when I'm sure my clutch overheated(I could smell a little burning), back on this wonderfully awesome bad nasty bouldery uphill before the 1st gear bog issues got fixed(it use to stall SUPER easy in 1st, so I rarely use it). Otherwise I dont' hang on the clutch, and I'm not actually shifting a lot. The bike bump starts SUPER easy(dunno if that has anything to do with it).

But anyways, hubby was curious of clutches are just bad on the wr's for a few years...I've never had a problem like this with any other bike (although those were a ttr and an xr)

Hub does the creep thing with it, and it's not consistant, also. SO we will do the clutch kit thing and see how that goes.

(and sorry if I sound like an idiot on this, I'd like to learn more:cry: be gentle with me haha)

Hey its all good. I'm learning to cause I've always had XR's and never had any issues. I bought a new bike so I wouldn't have any issues......so much for that idea.:rolleyes:

ha, yeah, xr's are awesome :D and the one I used for awhile was a worn out old abused one...

I'm really trying to figure out if I'm abusing my clutch though...thinking about how I use it when I ride etc. I dont' think I do--I pull it all the way in, shift, and dont' hang on it like when gittin going(I mean, I know how to DRIVE a stick, so go that engine listening thing going on). I'm just really wondering if the clutches are funky somehow? All I can think of is that ONE time burning it getting it up that long pumpkin sidehill (gawd, I can't tell you how stoked I was getting to the top of that! it included a sharp switchback at the top that you had to really scoot fast with momentum up around the berm to make it up--and then two big trees to squeak wiggleweave through...and then my husband was watching me the whole time and tells me he's disappointed there was no carnage show for his entertainment:foul:) What doesn't kill me makes me stronger!

What have you done for the smog crap stuff/mods? I can give you a list of what we did if you want. My wr def needed futzing with. But I LOVE it!

ha, yeah, xr's are awesome :D and the one I used for awhile was a worn out old abused one...

I'm really trying to figure out if I'm abusing my clutch though...thinking about how I use it when I ride etc. I dont' think I do--I pull it all the way in, shift, and dont' hang on it like when gittin going(I mean, I know how to DRIVE a stick, so go that engine listening thing going on). I'm just really wondering if the clutches are funky somehow? All I can think of is that ONE time burning it getting it up that long pumpkin sidehill (gawd, I can't tell you how stoked I was getting to the top of that! it included a sharp switchback at the top that you had to really scoot fast with momentum up around the berm to make it up--and then two big trees to squeak wiggleweave through...and then my husband was watching me the whole time and tells me he's disappointed there was no carnage show for his entertainment:foul:) What doesn't kill me makes me stronger!

What have you done for the smog crap stuff/mods? I can give you a list of what we did if you want. My wr def needed futzing with. But I LOVE it!

Are there any pictures of this tough side hill switchback no carnage climb? If not, it never happened :P:P:P:smirk:

Yes, start a new thread and post up your mods, inquiring minds want to know :prof: