New tire?

Okay guys I'm thinking I need a new rear tire. I'm getting more and more aggressive with my riding and my pour rear tire is struggling. Its about 50% tread. I think its time I drop a new rear tire on it. (Stock on got 800 miles on it) Do you guys usually run them this long? I'm noticing I'm spinning more then I like now and I want this baby to grip. I'm just trying to deside if I wanna try a trials tire or not.

New tires are the Bees knees Bryce. I can't help you with the trials tire as I have never tried one but I do hear guys swearing by them depending on the type of terrain of course. I think Jos rolls a trials tire. :thumb:

:P
I have run 2 trials tires....
last one was a dunlop D803
Pros-
Very sticky
very soft
good tread life

Cons
hardest Tire I have ever mounted or taken off
Too much spin will knock off the center nobs pretty quickly

The current one is a pirelli MT 43, which is not a true trial tire, but a trials "like" tire designed for off road bikes(DOT legal also) More stable at high speed, but loss of grip from the d803
It is a harder compound(still way softer than knobby), easier to put on, has sharp knobs insted of rounded ones.. I love it! shows almost no sign of wear after a few rides, Im running at 8psi with 2 rim locks and an HD tube.

Okay guys I'm thinking I need a new rear tire. I'm getting more and more aggressive with my riding and my pour rear tire is struggling. Its about 50% tread. I think its time I drop a new rear tire on it. (Stock on got 800 miles on it) Do you guys usually run them this long? I'm noticing I'm spinning more then I like now and I want this baby to grip. I'm just trying to deside if I wanna try a trials tire or not.

Need to adjust the throttle out put.........as for the trials tire, tire tread depends entirely on what type of terrain you ride on...loose you want a wider spaced knobby, packed, a trials would work good. As N'edge would say...Your Welcome! :smirk:

Trials also works very well for woods for rock, intermediate. slimy, icy, and moderately sandy conditions. I'd say the key to getting traction with one is being under 9psi, and not spinning the tire... you need a sense of throttle control as rez says.

I not only buy them because I love the traction, but also because I believe they are the cheapest option, as they wear half as fast as a knobby.

Bryce, you were asking this question last year.....and I'm still on the same MT43, 2000+ miles later.:banana:

Same here. I've not been riding enough. I have about 1400to 1500 miles on mine and it's going to last to 2000 for sure. That tire will save me at least $150 in knobbies that I didn't have to buy. I love the thing except it doesn't do too good in the mud or snow. I'll be switching to a knobby I have in the garage for the KM trail maint in a few months.

I'm sticking to the knobbie. I know the trials is supposed to be the answer to most everything, but I don't think it matches up with my riding style.:smirk:
Same here. I've not been riding enough. I have about 1400to 1500 miles on mine and it's going to last to 2000 for sure. That tire will save me at least $150 in knobbies that I didn't have to buy. I love the thing except it doesn't do too good in the mud or snow. .

How does it do in the sand washes? :thinking:
I'll be switching to a knobby I have in the garage for the KM trail maint in a few months.

Any openings left for that? I'd love for you to pencil me in, this time I'll be able to hopefully ride blue.:ride:

Edit: With the huge amounts of snow coming, I wonder if it will be another late opening.

I'm sticking to the knobbie. I know the trials is supposed to be the answer to most everything, but I don't think it matches up with my riding style.:smirk:

How does it do in the sand washes? :thinking:

Any openings left for that? I'd love for you to pencil me in, this time I'll be able to hopefully ride blue.:ride:

Edit: With the huge amounts of snow coming, I wonder if it will be another late opening.

Actually it does surprisingly well in a sand wash. A lot better than I though it would. I'd say more or less the same as an average knobby. I'm pretty sure that fresh soft terrain like a M5B does better in the sand though. I think one of the main deciders is your riding style. If you steer with the rear tire then a trials type is not for you. I have to restrain myself at times from gratuitous wheel spin.

With how the storms are going it's not going to be mid April like some of the drier years. It just depends on how much more snow we get and how warm it is.

Have 2 rides on my new MT43 and love it. I have heard that it is easier to get the back end around on a turn with a knobby though. So it is all a matter of riding style I guess. :thumb:

Have 2 rides on my new MT43 and love it. I have heard that it is easier to get the back end around on a turn with a knobby though. So it is all a matter of riding style I guess. :thumb:

A convert, yay! Now we can go up the slide!:banana:
( I have the 43 on both bikes, 2 and 4 stroke, 2 stroke tire is wearing a little faster but that is the only difference)