new bike, didn't break it in properly..

I didn't check if it had gas unfortunetly. The dealership said it had gas, so I assumed it was full which was stupid. I'm learning though. I changed the oil and saw the little pieces of metal stuck to the magnet. Super glad I did that. It full of gas now and started up in 3 kicks. I let it idle for 10 mins till it was hot then shut it off for 30 and let it cool. Did it twice and about to do it a third time, then take it for a light ride. It seems to be doing great! Any other advice? I think I'll change the oil again pretty soon, those metal shavings are sketchy.

Haha hell ya! I'm about to take a light ride in a few mins. Letting it cool down a bit then I'll start her up, idle for 5 and start goin. How many hours of ride time should I get in before the next oil change and air filter cleaning?

I have about 1h 30m of ride time on her so far.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Haha hell ya! I'm about to take a light ride in a few mins. Letting it cool down a bit then I'll start her up, idle for 5 and start goin. How many hours of ride time should I get in before the next oil change and air filter cleaning?

I have about 1h 30m of ride time on her so far.
My transmission fluid is typically on it's way out in 10 hours or less.
Some folks like more, some like less. Do what makes you feel comfortable. -BIG DAN

Oh man she's riding so nice. Didn't even lay into her hard at all and I was going about 55 down this little dirt road. So happy I got one of these. I'm going to take a course in July that critiques your riding and teaches you proper acceleration, racing techniques, jumping, and routine maintenance. I can't wait. I'll prolly change the oil it sooner than later. After every 2 rides? How long on each ride? At the moment I'm just riding it up and down this dirt road and around these small trails and hay fields. Tomorrow I plan on getting some good time in.

I like having full cylinder pressure as soon as the rig is warmed up. Just watch over heating. At one time if you rode hi tech rings slow on breakin they never did seem to seat. As long as they are not over oiled I think you could ride a new plated cylinder slow and still get it to seat.

If it's brand new, I start bike, and just warm it up,shut off and cool, then start up warm up, ride no more than 1/2 throttle, for 1/2 tank, let it cool, do it again for other half of tank, let it cool, then run it normally.If it's just a rebuild, I ride it easy for 1 tank, that's it.

The old adage waaaay back when was.............

Break it in slow it'll run slow........................ for a long time.
Break it in fast it'll run fast.........................for a while.

The choice was yours...... :thinking:

In all seriousness.....Who takes a brand new bike out trail riding and is bouncing it off the rev limiter or even anytime they are out trail riding? Yes, if you are a track star (cough cough Rack), you might not want to hammer motos right out of the box without a couple heat cycles, or trail riding, you may want to skip the killer hillclimbs on the first ride. But a typical trail ride is going to ridden the same on a new bike as it is on a well broke in bike. If any of you guys are pinned the whole time you trail ride, call me and I'll go riding with you...:hyper: