new bike, didn't break it in properly..

Hey guys I'm new here and here is my situation. I bought a 2014 ktm 250 sx today, and once I got it home I rode it for a little over an hour. I opened up the throttle a few times, but nothing to serious. I just read that I should have done the heat variation method, but it's a little to late for that.

More bad news.. I stalled out after about an hour of riding, it took a lot of kicking to get it going again. I started to head for home when the engine started revving really high like a weed whacker running out of gas, and the engine cut off again.

I realize I made a ton of mistakes and I feel like a moron, but I couldn't resist riding it for so long. I haven't tried to start it again, and once I fill up the tank tomorrow I'm going to do the heat variation method.

My question to all the pros out there is: How bad did I mess up my new bike? What should I do now?

Since it's brand new I talk to the dealer. With today's state of the art break in is not what it used to be. Doubt you did much bad.

Sounds like you have issues unrelated to your less than perfect break in technique

I appreciate the responses. It did Rev really high before the engine cut, so there's no doubt that I ran out a fuel. I'm just hoping I didn't screw up the Pistons and the cylinders riding it cold.

I also heard that after the first hour, you should change the gear box oil. I checked the air filter and it's still spotless, but I might change the oil before I ride today. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'll let you guys know how she runs today.

For my first maintenance I heard that I should change the engine/gearbox oil after the first hour because there might be metal shards in it from all the parts setting. What do you think? I checked the air filter and it's still spotless, but I'll prolly clean the chain also.

If or when you talk to the dealer, you don't have to tell him you rode the knobbies off of it the first hour... tell him you rode it for an hour and this is what happened... stalled out, hard to resart... etc... let them do the asking before you do the offering... you offer too much info they might balk at it and claim you didn't do it right and void the warranty, etc. That may not be the case but why chance it.

If they ask... so did you "throttle it"? tell them only a few blips here and there... because you were curios and anxious... you had the NEW BIKE OWNER yips... and couldn't help it.

For my first maintenance I heard that I should change the engine/gearbox oil after the first hour because there might be metal shards in it from all the parts setting. What do you think? I checked the air filter and it's still spotless, but I'll prolly clean the chain also.

Yes, this is a must do because there are new parts in there that haven't been used yet.. even though part of the mfg process of any machining is to remove burrs, sharp edges, loose particles, etc. "stuff" still happens... better safe than sorry.

on my bike, I did 1 heat cycle til the cylinder was warm, 1 heat cycle til the rads were warm, then i went out on a good ride day, varying RPM low to high. Piston walls still look good, and the cylinder still looks good. I really doubt you did anything serious to the bike. Like everyone else said take it to the shop and tell them what was said, the high rev does sound like you ran it outta gas.

keep us informed though :thumb:

My break method is filling it up with gas. then letting my wife and kids ride it around the yard for the first tank full. only one of my boy's will blip the throttle past half way.

Your break in technique is pretty good in my opinion but I am curious as to why it was idling at a high rpm as you say. Did you check the fuel tank and make sure it had gas? Could also be why it was hard to start.

My way of a break in, is once it's built, take it to some open dirt. Start it for the first time, and take off. After a minute of smooth acceleration, ride it balls out with some throttle cuts, for 15 minutes. Change the oil filter, and oil, and it's good to go.