new bike, didn't break it in properly..

For the most part all of the advice on break in procedure that has been posted is good. As for your gear box oil changing it every 10 hours of riding is pretty conservative. But that also depends on how hard your riding it with in that 10 hrs. Another thing you should consider is carburetor adjustment and jetting. Is the bike jetted correctly for your elevation. I dont recall if you indicated if it was a 2 stroke or a four stroke. Either way proper carb jetting is important to get the best performance. So something else for you to consider. Also you may want to invest in an additional air cleaner. This way when the current one is drying from being cleaned you can throw the fresh one in and go ride while the other one is drying.

I am planning on buying an extra air filter and a few extra park plugs next time I get to the store. It is a 2 stroke. I'll look at the manual and find some videos on proper carb jetting. I'm still new so I don't know know exactly what that is.

If that is true about "run it slow, it will stay slow", then idk what my bikes gonna do. I road it pretty fast a few times just wasn't revving as high as I could go. I did a few heat cycles and then went for a light ride lastnight. I'm gonna go a little harder tonight after I warm it up. I only got about an hour of ride time in lastnight after my first oil change.

Def gonna checkout carb adjustment though, that sounds cool. I saw a video on taking the carburetor apart and cleaning it lastnight, but I don't think I'll need to do that until a few more good rides.

I really appreciate the responses guys, this is all really helpful.

Oh man idk how fast I was just goin, but I started sliding around a bit on this really gravelly dirt road. That's the fastest I've gone so far. I'm letting it cool down and then I'm goin out again

Oh man idk how fast I was just goin, but I started sliding around a bit on this really gravelly dirt road. That's the fastest I've gone so far. That was in 5th gear too... I guess there's a 6th one I haven't even experienced yet lol
man i know that feeling, my bike's stock gearing is 13/49. im running 12/50 and 6th is still stupid fast :lol: i have no idea how you would hit 6th on a mx track with stock gearing

I think I was wrong the 250 sx is only 5 gears acording to the manual. I'm letting her cool down a bit then going back out and seeing if I can shift into 6th. I was going so fast before all I wanted to do was hold on lmao

Ya there's only 5 gears, but I'll be damned if I wasn't just going 70. The powerband wasn't even kicking in because i accelerated so gradually. I think i Def broke it in well today. I road it 3 times; let it warm up before each run, ran it all the way up to 5th gear attempting to reach top speed without over-revving and then let it cool down. I did that 3 times. Prolly road for about 2 hours total today. Lol I'm already itching to do some maintenance, but the air filters still clean and the chain still pretty clean and has wax on it. Guess I'll look up carb jetting

If you have an hours worth of riding on a new engine. And have changed the gear box oil at least once. Its time to ride it like you stole it. Now as for your jetting set up. You may or may not have to re jet the carb. Here is some info that I use. Others will agree and other will think Im smoking something and not sharing. If you live (ride) at or near sea level up to 1500ft above sea level. The stock factory jetting should be plenty good enough. If you live above 2000 ft sea level you may want to consider leaning out the main jet (going to a smaller size jet) if you live (ride) above 3000 ft sea level I would come down one size on the pilot jet and and 2 sizes on the main jet. See the trend? Two stroke powered bikes are finicky with how they are jetted in relationship to the elevation and day time temperature that they are operated at. Jetting your bike correctly isnt hard to do. But there is a science in doing it. You will never be wrong operating the bike just a little rich on the carb settings. However...... You can destroy your piston and cylinder (BIG DOLLARS to repair) if you operate it hard and too lean for extended periods. For test and tune purposes running it lean to figure out your jetting is just part of the process. But you will want to start it rich (fat) and gradually lean out the jetting till you get what your looking for. But there is more to adjusting your jetting than just changing the main and pilot jets. There is the air screw, and also the jet needle. But we can get to that when your ready to learn about it.

A good place to look about adjusting or changing your carb as you have already mentioned is You Tube. However there are a lot of not very smart folks out there that think they are doing good but they are giving out bad info. Next time you have opportunity to do a search on You Tube. Search for Rocky Mountain ATV carb jetting. They wont have exact info for your elevation. But they do show step by step process on how to do it. It may not be for your make and model bike. But learning the process will help by watching. Also always use your manual. Some manuals will have a graph in it that will list day time temps and elevations that will help you as a guide to get your jetting close to what you need. And you can fine tune it by going up or down a size from their recommendations. So always have your manual handy when doing work on your bike. Another thing to keep in mind. There are A LOT of opinions on what ratio to use for your fuel and oil mixtures. I have found that you will NEVER be wrong using what the manufacture recommends. This also includes what type of pre mix oil the manufacture recommends. You can deviate from the type of oil and run what ever you want with maybe the exception of marine 2 stroke engine oil or chain saw engine oil. I would avoid those and only use dirt bike specific oils. But make sure you follow the fuel mixture rations that the manufacture states. And if I remember correctly KTM has a range from like 40:1 down to 60:1. But I may be mistaken.

Good luck with your new bike. And if you get stuck or are unsure. There are a lot of smart people on this forum that can help you. Some of them even own 2 stroke KTM bikes. But for the most part a 2 stroke engine is a two stroke engine.