Need Some tips

I wanted to improve my technique in the whoops section. I always find myself slowing down and getting tossed all over the place. So yea i need some helpful tips on the whoops section.

yup... go faster! lol... lean back and make sure you grip with your knees alot, ride a gear high and stay constant on the throttle.

i'm gonna edit this a little...lol. Watch the other riders! I don't want you trying skim something everyone else is doubling through...

I wanted to improve my technique in the whoops section. I always find myself slowing down and getting tossed all over the place. So yea i need some helpful tips on the whoops section.

keep the balls of your feet on the pegs, that lets you bend your ankles to soak up some of the rebound and what not, dont always stay back on the bike thats a mistake alot of ppl make because if your back and get bucked real hard you cant move back to push the rear end down stay standing up and when the rear kicks up move back always gripping with your knees, stay in 2nd until you get in the grove of doing this then go to 3rd. good luck out there dude:thumb:

Well this can be handled in a few ways. I am guessing we are talking about MX whoops here and not the ones you find out on the trails. MX whoops are normally close together, so you can just hammer through them. The biggest thing that needs to be done, is get the suspension setup correctly. If you are hitting the same section at a local track, you need to pay attention to what your bike is doing when you are going through them. Make small adjustments to the suspension and keep hitting them until you find the right combo. Stay loose on the bike as well so you do not fight the movement as the bike dances across them.

If you are in a longer section of whoops, say like out on the trails, then sometimes a little back brake drag will get the rear end in line.

James

Staff member
Here's a pretty good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih29YvKMg0Q

• Basically stay on the balls (toes) of your feet.
  • Get a good grip with your knees
  • Keep your weight back (lighten the front)
  • Most importantly be in the right gear, because if your bike bogs and your front end drops into a valley....:cripple:...just ask me :cry::smirk:
  • Also like everything else MX related, confidence...confidence...confidence :thumb:

You may have also have to adjust your suspension, too. If it is set up too stiff its going to buck you around no matter how good you are. And practice practice practice.

James

Staff member
You may have also have to adjust your suspension, too. If it is set up too stiff its going to buck you around no matter how good you are. And practice practice practice.
:thumb: That's the FIRST thing that should be done when you get a new bike, especially if you ride MX.

:thumb: That's the FIRST thing that should be done when you get a new bike, especially if you ride MX.

Doesnt matter if you ride MX, or Desert, or trails. Getting your suspension set up for you and the type of riding you do is very important. You may even need to respring your bike too. But dont worry about that untill you mess with your compression and rebound settings first.

Isn't it set your sag first? That will let you know if you need to respring. Then start messing with the clickers after that.

Thanks for the tips. I think i just gotta give a little more gas. I already got my suspension set up, although i could use some fresh oil in the forks.

James

Staff member
Isn't it set your sag first? That will let you know if you need to respring. Then start messing with the clickers after that.
:thumb: Correct
Thanks for the tips. I think i just gotta give a little more gas. I already got my suspension set up, although i could use some fresh oil in the forks.
You should be able to change the fork oil yourself, it's not to hard to do. Just make sure you put the same amount in each fork. :thumb: