Need some advice

I am starting to work a part time job and I am starting to save money up for another bike :banghead: I am going to be selling my 1998 Cr250r which I love but I think it is time to get a crf450r it may be the worse decsion I have ever made by selling my cr? By the time I sell the bike and have all the money saved up by the end of summer I should have roughly between $2000 and $2300, I have been looking and about all I could afford is a 2003 Crf450r and then I found a 2005 Crf450r for $2200. So is this years very reliable and how is the suspension and handling on these bikes also how will it compare to my 98 Cr250r? Also do you think them prices are too high what I listed, my last question is what should I be mainly looking when I look at these bikes what are the postive's and negative's?

Thanks for all replies :thumb:

James

Staff member
The question I have is, what brought you to the decision that you need a 450f?

BTW what type of riding do you?

One issue with the 450's is the cost of fixing it. For your $2000 you might be getting a tired 450 that will soon need a new head and perhaps even a crank depending on the hours the engine has. At least that 2 stroke you are riding is a bit less to freshen up.

I am starting to work a part time job and I am starting to save money up for another bike :banghead: I am going to be selling my 1998 Cr250r which I love but I think it is time to get a crf450r it may be the worse decsion I have ever made by selling my cr? By the time I sell the bike and have all the money saved up by the end of summer I should have roughly between $2000 and $2300, I have been looking and about all I could afford is a 2003 Crf450r and then I found a 2005 Crf450r for $2200. So is this years very reliable and how is the suspension and handling on these bikes also how will it compare to my 98 Cr250r? Also do you think them prices are too high what I listed, my last question is what should I be mainly looking when I look at these bikes what are the postive's and negative's?

Thanks for all replies :thumb:

I wouldn't buy a used 4T MXer. the cost to rebuild is usually more than the bike is worth. By the time the end of summer comes you could have enough $$$$ to buy a newer 09 orequal YZ250. Total rebuilds are in the 500 mark for the smoker and it will be a newer bike...
Think about it.

I ride trails I am really having a hard time deciding I just got doing my conversion bike looks great I am for sure selling it but I don't know if I want a newer model cr? I am not getting nothing but a honda don't even bother trying to get me to switch.

I am not getting nothing but a honda don't even bother trying to get me to switch.

I'm sorry to hear that.
There are so many better bikes than the Honda out there. Unless ofcourse you are talking about getting a mid 80's Honda, back when they were still really good bikes!

Nah man honda is the best in my opiono I have allways had good luck:P

Once upon a time Honda was an engineering driven company. I feel that they were the last to fall. Now they are a marketing driven company like essentially all the others. I like my older Hondas from that earlier era.

Once upon a time Honda was an engineering driven company. I feel that they were the last to fall. Now they are a marketing driven company like essentially all the others. I like my older Hondas from that earlier era.

Exactly! Amsoil takes a page from them as well. advertising advertising advertising..... Honda is a far cry from where they started from... yet they are the biggest bullies in the industry... bending the rules in their favor.

Huh? What makes a Honda the pinnacle of reliability? seems like most bikes will do well if they are taken care of...

Because Honda Co. says so damnit, and if don't believe them then they will take their machines out of racing, thereby making the sport void of all superior products causing the downfall of all humanity as we know it. Or at least that what the threaten every time they don't get what they want. :lol:

Like Cleonard said, be preparred to do a head ($500-$900) every year or two, and the crank, every second valve job. I've watched my Brother fight the battle on his 05 450X, and he dumps a lot of squish in his bike. If you're loaded, and squish doesn't matter, you can be brand loyal, if not, listen to those around you. :noidea: