250F Need opinions

SRAD97750

Staff member
My professional opinion is that you need both, boats and dirtbikes, in your life.
Trust me, I'm a licensed physician. -BIG DAN :thumb:

oh don't I know that boats are not cheap. how ever if you look after your shit good its not all that bad.

Um ya I wish but can't have both.....for some reason money isn't growing in my backyard.

i am looking to get back in rideing. I was waiting to sell my boat first and use that money to buy a bike. I still keep looking for bikes in the mean time. I see a 2009 Kx250f . Guy is asking 1500, but says the top end is blown and a boy $500 to fix That is all i know at this time. Keep in mind this is all Canadian dollars I am talking. If I could get the bike for 1000 to 1100 would it be worth the gamble? From what I have found out a new piston, wrist pin and cylinder would be under 500.

I'm trying to find out if he has had it looked at to come to his conclusion. To me if that's all it takes fix it and sell it for more.
a 2009 with a blown top or bottom end is a 600 dollar bike. That is Alaskan dollars keep in mind. 1500, i would be giggling as I left.

You say you look after your stuff. Fair enough. Let me know how you can transfer that concern to the guy(s) who owned the blownup bike before. I am fine with the current 4 strokes. Keep in mind, a 2009 is about 8 years old now, and NOT current and calling it the coming thing is kind of, well, completely silly to some of us.

If you are going to buy used, worn out (8 years unless it was kept under glass is pretty worn), buy something as was suggested from the companies that have large aftermarket support and commonly found used parts. That kind of leaves you with two brands.

Last edited:
I have watched some videos on adjusting valves and changeing pistons. Seems pretty easy.

Usually when I say something seems easy it turns out to be much more than I expected.
I prefer to say "that was easy" after im finished. I have many customers who call for help after a YouTube video has lured them into flooding thier house :cry::thumb:

turns into a real shit show here doesn't it.

Yep, especially when you ask for opinions and then start questioning them. Doing that tends to fall into the category of "why did I do it in the first place". So when I see someone that does as I mentioned I think they were just looking for a way to kill some time, and SOME OF THE TIME, I help them do that. But if it makes you feel better I will say here that one of the scarcest models of it's time is a great buy, blownup, at 1500 dollars. Furthermore the way to the future, when talking about motorcycles is with an 8 year old one.

Hell, I have proven (personally) that there is one born at least as often as PT Barnum said, so why shouldn't you?

Yep, especially when you ask for opinions and then start questioning them. Doing that tends to fall into the category of "why did I do it in the first place". So when I see someone that does as I mentioned I think they were just looking for a way to kill some time, and SOME OF THE TIME, I help them do that. But if it makes you feel better I will say here that one of the scarcest models of it's time is a great buy, blownup, at 1500 dollars. Furthermore the way to the future, when talking about motorcycles is with an 8 year old one.

Hell, I have proven (personally) that there is one born at least as often as PT Barnum said, so why shouldn't you?

yes Initially I was asking about a blown up KX. To me it was suggested that I stay away from it as the repairs could be allot more then I would be lead to believe.

Secondly I found another 4 stroke and asked about that. It would seem that people were suggesting I go with a two stroke. I get that two strokes are easier to work on less hardware in top end etc. And yes I said it would seem that it seemed that bike the companies are leaning towards phasing out two strokes due to government regulations etc. If I am wrong on that so be it honest mistake.

Thirdly I said I to take care of my stuff, so if in the event I buy a 4 stroke and it all checks out ok... why cant it last just as long as a two stroke before anything major needs to be done.

I guess I just question why 4 stokes seem to be avoided. I get that there is more to the top ends when they need work but why do they always need all that work if they are being looked after properly?

Im finding it hard to find a decent 2 stroke, there are allot of 4 strokes out there for sale... IS that because they do tend to break down more ?

In my opinion, your last sentence partially hits on why there are lots of them (4 strokes.) There have also been a lot more of the 4 strokes sold lately. Take marketing if you want to know about that. Add some courses on controlling production costs if you still are not clear. If you truly are concerned about buying a 4 stroke because of what it could do to the ecology if you buy a two stroke then follow your conscience. If you want to chat with the people who are really into saving the planet, they will probably tell you they don't want you to ride at all. In the end, your bike hauler is going to pollute more than whatever you ride, on the way to the ride.

And if you are tired of the "shit show" and want to find some agreement, there are sites that cater to those who ride 4 strokes. I have both, love both for what they are.

Last edited: