250F Need opinions

i am looking to get back in rideing. I was waiting to sell my boat first and use that money to buy a bike. I still keep looking for bikes in the mean time. I see a 2009 Kx250f . Guy is asking 1500, but says the top end is blown and a boy $500 to fix That is all i know at this time. Keep in mind this is all Canadian dollars I am talking. If I could get the bike for 1000 to 1100 would it be worth the gamble? From what I have found out a new piston, wrist pin and cylinder would be under 500.

I'm trying to find out if he has had it looked at to come to his conclusion. To me if that's all it takes fix it and sell it for more.

i am looking to get back in rideing. I was waiting to sell my boat first and use that money to buy a bike. I still keep looking for bikes in the mean time. I see a 2009 Kx250f . Guy is asking 1500, but says the top end is blown and a boy $500 to fix That is all i know at this time. Keep in mind this is all Canadian dollars I am talking. If I could get the bike for 1000 to 1100 would it be worth the gamble? From what I have found out a new piston, wrist pin and cylinder would be under 500.

I'm trying to find out if he has had it looked at to come to his conclusion. To me if that's all it takes fix it and sell it for more.

if its just piston and rings, but it never is, plan on that plus a complete valve job, timing chain and tensioner, and hopefully the cylinder is ok and not in need of replating. by this time your 500$ will be far far away.

Last edited:

Minimum $2000 to make that motor right if it is blown. That's to make it right. You can half ass it for about $500-800 but then you'll be spending that again in a few weeks when it hammers out again.

Ok,so point is to stay clear of this one. I have to say I have never been so confused as i am now looking for a bike. 4 stroke vrs 2 stroke. How to find a good used bike and making sure it's been card for. Maybe I should keep the boat lol.

Ok,so point is to stay clear of this one. I have to say I have never been so confused as i am now looking for a bike. 4 stroke vrs 2 stroke. How to find a good used bike and making sure it's been card for. Maybe I should keep the boat lol.

I would.
A 2t is the way to go if you are on a budget. They are cheaper to maintain. Total rebuild in the event of catastrophic disaster, worst case scenario is about $750.
What kind of riding do you do?
Good all around bike is the YZ250.

I like trails, but wouldn't mind trying some track as well. I'd like to have the option for both.

I'm noticing that bikes in my area are all over. You can get 250 f years 2009 2011 for 3000 to 4000 grand.

2004-2006 2 strokes are about 2500 to 3000

I have been researching 4 strokes and the regular maintenance doesn't seem too bad. I have watched some videos on adjusting valves and changeing pistons. Seems pretty easy. The scarey part for me is when you have to get into slitting the case etc.

I like trails, but wouldn't mind trying some track as well. I'd like to have the option for both.

I'm noticing that bikes in my area are all over. You can get 250 f years 2009 2011 for 3000 to 4000 grand.

2004-2006 2 strokes are about 2500 to 3000

I have been researching 4 strokes and the regular maintenance doesn't seem too bad. I have watched some videos on adjusting valves and changeing pistons. Seems pretty easy. The scarey part for me is when you have to get into slitting the case etc.

4 stroke bikes are great until that time comes for a rebuild. That's were it gets hairy, cost and know how starts to apply. I'm a 4stroke guy. I'd say shoot for a 2 stroke 250cc, Honda or Yamaha in my apinion. Ride both and it's all preference what u like

Just as long as you budget for a rebuild, even on a bike that runs. Best to protect your investment and actually get to enjoy it. For exAmple I got a '10crf250r for $2300, rode it once and spent another 2k building a brand new motor. And it ran good when I bought it. Of course I spent more than I needed to, but the end result is a bike I know will last. I'd rather spend another thousand to ensure I dont waste the first two :)

I understand what you are saying. I just don't get why it seems everyone says to avoid 4 stokes...to me they seem like they will be whats coming in the years and 2 stokes will be gone. 2 strokes in my area seem to be way over priced now that I really look for them. Early 2000 years are the same price as 2009 2011 4 strokes.

Are 4 stokes really that bad? What causes them to have so many problems? I am a person that really looks after their stuff so if its lack of maintenance that won't be an issue with me.

Im having a hard time with spending more money on an older 2 stroke.

I understand what you are saying. I just don't get why it seems everyone says to avoid 4 stokes...to me they seem like they will be whats coming in the years and 2 stokes will be gone. 2 strokes in my area seem to be way over priced now that I really look for them. Early 2000 years are the same price as 2009 2011 4 strokes.

Are 4 stokes really that bad? What causes them to have so many problems? I am a person that really looks after their stuff so if its lack of maintenance that won't be an issue with me.

Im having a hard time with spending more money on an older 2 stroke.

No!!!! They are a great bike. My last 4 bikes are 4 stroke I love em!!!

Just find one that looks really good and ask questions like hours and fluid changes, and how old is this and that like clutch, grab ahold of the wheels and give em a wiggle to se if tight. If the bike looks really good and not beat up it's prob Going to be a good Bike.
Look to spend 2900 at a low for a good bike if u can find one for that price. And up to 3900

If you have a friend that's into bikes take him and listen for anything!!

My point is everything that is mechanical Will fail one day or another I don't care if it's from a toaster to a new car . Just be mindful and look over everything and hope for the best. The real point is to strokes have less parts meaning maybe possibly less failure. and four strokes have more parts and cost more. When it comes time. Id go for a four stroke if you could if that's what you really want I think you be really happy

We always tell the guys we build race engines for if you don't want to hurt it don't start it

Last edited:
I have been doing lots of reading up on what to look for, shitty part its what you cant see in the engine thats the bitch.

this is the bike I have been really interested in.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-m...ft/1185225925?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Here is how I go about buying a used bike. I look how clean the motor is and if there are any strip marks on the bolts. I look at framewear, I look where the cables wear against the neck of the frame. I look for rim dents and dings.
If all of this checks out I go with a bid knowing full well that at the very least I will be dumping a new top end in the bike at the cost of about $125-350 on a 2t and 5-800 on 4t.

I have been doing lots of reading up on what to look for, shitty part its what you cant see in the engine thats the bitch.

this is the bike I have been really interested in.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-m...ft/1185225925?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Nice bike!! Take a bore scope if u have acces to one???? If it needs to come apart see if he will break the top end down before u buy??

Show him 900 cash and wing it!!! Might come out ok. If nothing is to trashed

Last edited:
That's Kxf is about right price wise, just dont take the sellers word for anything. He may be telling the truth but so what, at least budget for the gaskets necessary for a close inspection after you buy it If you're looking for an inexpensive hobby dirtbikes ain't it! But you have a boat so..
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

:D

Last edited: