250F Need opinions

Oh I love the sellers claims they entertain me Like a game of family fued
We polled Craigslist and found the top ten answers when selling a dirtbike
All it needs is..
#1 CARB CLEANED
#2 TOP END
#3 DONT HAVE TIME TO FIX
#4 ...

Or the universal, "no longer have time to ride".

yes Initially I was asking about a blown up KX. To me it was suggested that I stay away from it as the repairs could be allot more then I would be lead to believe.

Secondly I found another 4 stroke and asked about that. It would seem that people were suggesting I go with a two stroke. I get that two strokes are easier to work on less hardware in top end etc. And yes I said it would seem that it seemed that bike the companies are leaning towards phasing out two strokes due to government regulations etc. If I am wrong on that so be it honest mistake.

Thirdly I said I to take care of my stuff, so if in the event I buy a 4 stroke and it all checks out ok... why cant it last just as long as a two stroke before anything major needs to be done.

I guess I just question why 4 stokes seem to be avoided. I get that there is more to the top ends when they need work but why do they always need all that work if they are being looked after properly?

Im finding it hard to find a decent 2 stroke, there are allot of 4 strokes out there for sale... IS that because they do tend to break down more ?
There tends to be a lot more 4 strokes for sale, especially 5+ year old ones because they sell a lot of them, and people tend to swap to a newer bike a lot.
A big "issue" with the newer 4 strokes is in the valves, people don't check them enough, ride them till they won't run, then shim them, repeat, eventually it will break the valve and the base of the valve being inside an engine that was running at 5k rpm + is pretty gnarly.

They are honestly not all that expensive or bad to maintain IMO

yeah, better comparison. so far, fingers crossed I havent' munched a chinese crankshaft, but I haven't tried the 4 stroke ones. Put the cases back for a friend who was selling a crf with a Wiseco in it, haven't heard anything about it.

well, I'm sure if I know you know, I was urged not to buy a wiseco, I was also told that the hot rods was as good as the oem. I doubt the latter so I'm also tempted to doubt the prior.

I was hoping for my friend's sake that his crf450 was as hard to start after the rebuild as it was before it. This guy shows up to pick it up, and his Tshirt says something like "in case of trouble we use 1911 insteand of 911, and let it 'ring' seven or eight times," over a picture of said pistol. I figured it would be Bud's best chance of not having to hear about a rod sawing the case apart.

turns into a real shit show here doesn't it.
Hey the title of this thread didn't say anything about feelings!

Sure There are more 4 strokes on the market, simple supply economics there.
I do agree with flake about the market turnover of 4strokes people are treating them like disposables, in that, sometimes the value gap between a 2-3 year old bike is the cost of a rebuild so they just sell, and get a new one. Then, someone buys a 3yr old unmaintained bike thinking hey it's almost new it doesn't need any work done to it and 3 years later puts it up for sale as "runs great"
after it starts taking a dozen kicks to light up and 2 dozen hot. THEN another poor sap buys a 6 year old bike that is ready to grenade. Sure 6 years isn't much when it comes to cars and trucks but to 12k rpm racing engines it's a lifetime. Especially when they are revved hard while low on oil and ridden back to the truck a pint shy on fluid because it puked while painting a rock with a worn out kenda. Not being negative, just realistic. honesty and full
Disclosure are two very different things.
One of my favorites is "I haven't had it very long, and the guy I bought it from did all the stuff to it". :lol:

Last edited:
This is why two strokes are better to fix and four strokes They're way more simple Had to crank bearings go out on this one is my nephews bike. Just happend today:cry:

I still like my four stroke though :banana:IMG_0220.JPG