Need moto van ideas

I've been toying with the moto van idea for awhile and this morning a good deal came along on a 2009 Chevy Express 2500, regular wheel base cargo van.
Now that it's in my driveway I'm looking for ideas and thoughts on how to set it up; things that are essential, layout ideas, etc.
I kinda want a moto/camper van. Was thinking of a separate compartment in front, but not sure. It could be cooled with the vent A/C though...
It has the steel partition behind the seats so it wouldn't be difficult to do.

Any ideas appreciated.

First off - Congrats on the purchase. That will be a cool project and will workout great at the track or trail riding.

I have seen some cool videos on YouTube on people doing conversion. More on sprinter vans though.
But here is a video on your van

First off - Congrats on the purchase. That will be a cool project and will workout great at the track or trail riding.

I have seen some cool videos on YouTube on people doing conversion. More on sprinter vans though.
But here is a video on your van
Yeah thats cool, thanks! He's got the extended van.
I transferred the title this morning and spent the day cleaning it up. It's gonna be nice when I'm done. But it's gonna be tight.
Right now I'm down to a couple initial concerns-
1 - Usage. Weekend warrior, or roadtrip to wherever for a week?
2 - layout. Sealed off front area for sleep with A/C (like dude in video), or open back, sleep front to back on the side next to the bike and fumes (but possible get more usable space???)
3 - 1 bike or 2?
All the above kinda tie into each other.

Last edited:
Yeah thats cool, thanks! He's got the extended van.
I transferred the title this morning and spent the day cleaning it up. It's gonna be nice when I'm done. But it's gonna be tight.
Right now I'm down to a couple initial concerns-
1 - Usage. Weekend warrior, or roadtrip to wherever for a week?
2 - layout. Sealed off front area for sleep with A/C (like dude in video), or open back, sleep front to back on the side next to the bike and fumes (but possible get more usable space???)
3 - 1 bike or 2?
All the above kinda tie into each other.
Motovan it and come out to California and do some dez races.

Motovan it and come out to California and do some dez races.
Elsinore MX has come to mind. Its right next to Skydive Elsinore.
I could work at the dropzone, then ride MX when I'm done or on off days...:thinking:

Not sure how I would do in a desert race. I've seen some footage of the AZ Open here in Buckeye, and I dont know if I could do it.
First off, I'm colorblind, and I saw little colored tags on trees in the video. If thats how they mark the trail, I'm probably out. Add a shit ton of dust...:thinking:

I think I've settled on the initial van design, and I think it needs to be open inside, not separating the cab. This is enticing cuz it's easier to keep it cool, but at the end of the day its still a van, and if I need to borrow a truck to haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood then that doesn't work.
Im thinking of putting a futon style sofa bed behind the driver seat running front to back, and tie the bike down on the passenger side. Maybe even fit 2 bikes.
If the bike is in the van when I'm sleeping in it, and I gotta sleep right next to it, so be it.

Waiting on exhaust right now...

Elsinore would be cool.

Yes desert races are marked with Pink Ribbon tied to the bushes and orange dayglow cards stapled to stakes marking danger. There are arrows stapled to stakes as well to mark turns. I know a lot of fast guys that are color blind and they just look for the ribbon flickering in the bushes.

Well
Coming from someone who has done the MOTO van thing and has also worked for a very high end upfitter of vans, (Becker automotive)
The advice that I’d have to offer is this:
Make sure the damn gas for the bikes can is sealed well, secured well, and near the rear door at all times. In an ideal world, you’d drain the gas out of the tank into said cam after riding, but in all reality, shove a bolt or something in the vent hose. they tend to smell like a garage no matter what one does usually, it’s kinda unavoidable. However, having run a bike with methanol at one point in time, I learned the extreme of how nasty fumes can get.. another thing is make sure the bikes are secured well enough so that they can’t fall over, because that does happen sometimes.
the rear door makes a good spot for consumable spray items, with mechanical spray prevention methods when not intending on spraying them (such as a cap)
A good bulkhead is a must, a place to sleep behind the driver and passenger seat is always nice, LED under cabinet strip lighting in the back, around the headliner/roof is a god send, especially if you manage to 3 way the means of turning it off and on to both doors.
don’t rip the headliner out of it. Keep some side panel insulation in the back to cut down road noise. Carpet the bulkhead. Bolt a tool box down, make some shelf’s for the bulkhead or cabinets if your inclined to do so, even make a sub woofer box off the bottom of it under the bench seat behind drivers seat if you go that way.
you will most likely spend some LONG days and late nights in the thing if your traveling to races. Make it as enjoyable/comfortable as you can justify. Don’t skimp on a nice sound system, and head unit with a backup camera Inuit. The rear view mirror is pretty much useless with a bulkhead. A hideously annoying car alarm is also very important. Tiny all the windows it does have dark as hell, as you don’t want anyone seeing inside it for any reason due to the dead giveaway of its contents if they do see. Well. Maybe not the ENTIRE windshield..
on the van I had we did 5% on the driver and passenger. 2 layers of 5% on the rear windows as it was a 15 passenger van, and a brow on the windshield. Never got messed with for it.
lastly. Refrain from putting 96,000 stickers that scream there’s motorcycles in here on it. It’s a dead giveaway for people with bad intent to go see what’s with all them stickers. Sadly most vans are pretty easily broken into, so the more precautions such as big fuck off locks, or other means of preventing physical forced entry/stealing of the van it’s self, the better.

Very good stuff. I have thought of much of it.
I've already removed the bulkhead, and currently it is stripped down to nothing. Today I'll be doing the floor.
I've installed Kilmat in the entire driver area along with new factory carpet. I bought 100 sq. ft. of Kilmat so enough to do the rear floor if I decide. I have 3 sheets of polyiso for the floor, 3 sheets of 1/2" plywood.
I purchased an alarm, had the windows tinted Wed the darkest you can get, with a windshield strip. I bought extra side towing mirrors.
I also recently worked with a Sprinter van upfitter for a few months.

Right now my biggest concern is what to do about a/c? and how to keep it as cool inside as possible in the AZ heat.
Nice programmable roof fan - $350.00
Portable a/c - 500-600
Roof a/c - 800-1000

I'd really like to get the wheels and tires and blah blah, but right now the tires are nearly new, and it looks like a police type van, and that dont bother me. Got a set of Slick Locks for it. Even thinking of doing a crossbar inside each door set.
There are no stickers on it.

Hopefully I'll make it to the track this weekend. It's been 8 weeks.

I'd post pics but I have to resize every one and its a PITA.
Thanks for the pro tips!

Ok. I'll try this from my phone.
Here are some pics in somewhat chronological order from when I took possession.

Attachments

• 20210311_130126_HDR.jpg
    20210311_130126_HDR.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210311_125729.jpg
    20210311_125729.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Inside

Attachments

• 20210311_115641_HDR.jpg
    20210311_115641_HDR.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210311_115720_HDR.jpg
    20210311_115720_HDR.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210311_161601_HDR.jpg
    20210311_161601_HDR.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 6
Kilmat in the cab.
I have 100 sq. Ft. Enough to do the rest of the floor.

Attachments

• 20210327_185630.jpg
    20210327_185630.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210328_103256_HDR.jpg
    20210328_103256_HDR.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 5
New factory carpet. The old stuff was rubber and was nasty.
I'm fairly certain this van spent a lot if time on dirt roads. The dust was 3/8" thick.

Attachments

• 20210328_114546_HDR.jpg
    20210328_114546_HDR.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210328_114522_HDR.jpg
    20210328_114522_HDR.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 6