Need help determining if my Stator is bad

Wont let me upload pictures,becuse photo is too large.Any one with knowledge ,of being able to examine one and know its bad please respond and I can email you pictures to check.Im not gettting a spark at all,but need to know for sure if its cdi box or stator,i dnt wanna guess.

I've never seen a Cdi go bad in my life.
I would disconnect the kill switch and try, also remove the ground bolts for the coil and clean blind that. Clean up the stator bolts too while you're at it. Then check for any bare wires that may be rubbing against the frame.

I disconnected kill switch,still no spark.Im new to riding and knowing of parts so will have to search for ground...would u happen to know where ground might be located?I have a 2008 yamaha yz450

SRAD97750

Staff member
Also,when took cover off 3 out of the 4 bolts had unscrewed from the stator
Well that is a terrible sign. Testing for continuity through the stator wires is where I start when testing a stator. Visual inspection will tell you very little about its actual electrical condition.
To be honest, the loose stator could've been why you had no spark. -BIG DAN:thumb:

I disconnected kill switch,still no spark.Im new to riding and knowing of parts so will have to search for ground...would u happen to know where ground might be located?I have a 2008 yamaha yz450

The bolts that run through the stator and coil are the grounds. You need to clean the contact points. Look for pinched and bare wires.

Ok,thank you both for replies,got addicted to riding and been kinda out of it for last 3 days with no riding, .All wires are still intact,no bare wires or anything seeming out of order with wires.Didnt know a visual inspection wouldnt shed too much light,was just kinda hoping it would so i could get to the bottom of this problem.I purchased a multimeter with hopes of figuring out if stator or cdi,but i never used one before and and youtube videos are of other bikes with different color wires n connectors so dnt fully understand how to test.

If this info helps...it all started with sputtering,it sputtered in a few gears,i stopped,cluthed it and just revved a good few times,then for a min or so seemed fined,then sputtered to a complete stop, i hit throttle but NOTHING at all,idled for few seconds then cut off.Walked home,checked and seem i had lil to no oil, added oil but later found out wasnt gettin a spark so wouldnt cranked back up..fast forward to now,stressed....

If this info helps...it all started with sputtering,it sputtered in a few gears,i stopped,cluthed it and just revved a good few times,then for a min or so seemed fined,then sputtered to a complete stop, i hit throttle but NOTHING at all,idled for few seconds then cut off.Walked home,checked and seem i had lil to no oil, added oil but later found out wasnt gettin a spark so wouldnt cranked back up..fast forward to now,stressed....

This sounds like you have bigger problems than no spark...
@timoyz may be able to better help you diagnose this as he's the resident yzf guy.

Ok, @timoyz ,please shed any and all help/advice u can.I still have great compression,there was no ruff running/riding or idling or any sounds in engine before this issue of no spark presented itself.One thing i can say,is this issue occured 1 or 2 days after wrapping a tach hour meter wire around coil/spark plug wire,but from videos thats where i was supposed to put it

The pickup coil and stator look to be physically normal.
The connector has 3 or 4 wires?
-BIG DAN:thumb:
Sorry to not be knowing ish,but where/wat is the connector?wires that plug inside cdi/or coil,or the wires thats coming directly from this stator in picture?