My son first deer

Hey guys, my son 10 got his first deer this weekend. Button buck:banana: He got it with his .243. Lung shot and didn't run more that 20 yards. We had some for dinner tonight yummmm!
Clayfirstdeer.jpg

Me and your son have the same guns, I believe. The stock looks like a Remington 700 ADL, is that correct?

No, his is a Marlin. I forget the model. It is a bolt action with synthetic stock. He bought it at the begining of this year with his bday money. As I think I said in your gun thread I looked at the Rem. but seen a bunch of bad reviews on the bolt action breaking so I found the Marlin had good reviews. It was a little more than the rem but worth the peace of mind.

Outstanding Jackson :thumb: He must have been one proud kid! Did you get anything?

No I didn't get any. I don't think he was going to let me shoot anything anyway. He was ready for another one after that. I guess the only way I will be able to get one now is if there are two of them and he takes one and I take the other. :lol: stingy little shit...that's okay tho as long as there is a deer going in the freezer I am fine with. I have kill many a deer in my day so I will let him take a few.

No, his is a Marlin. I forget the model. It is a bolt action with synthetic stock. He bought it at the begining of this year with his bday money. As I think I said in your gun thread I looked at the Rem. but seen a bunch of bad reviews on the bolt action breaking so I found the Marlin had good reviews. It was a little more than the rem but worth the peace of mind.

Oh yeah! I gotcha. That stocks looks very similar to the 700. Looks like a nice gun! :thumb:

first i would like to say :thumb: that is awesome and a great skill to be teaching your son.

I am curious as to the process of getting that deer back to your freezer once its dead tho. Do you guys hike into the spot? or ride quads? Do you take the whole thing back or do you fillet it up right there and just carry the meat back? I imagine that would be way to much to just slap the whole deer on your shoulder and walk back.

Im in no way against hunting its just ive never got the chance to do real hunting like that as ive grown and lived in teh city my entire life.

first i would like to say :thumb: that is awesome and a great skill to be teaching your son.

I am curious as to the process of getting that deer back to your freezer once its dead tho. Do you guys hike into the spot? or ride quads? Do you take the whole thing back or do you fillet it up right there and just carry the meat back? I imagine that would be way to much to just slap the whole deer on your shoulder and walk back.

Im in no way against hunting its just ive never got the chance to do real hunting like that as ive grown and lived in teh city my entire life.

First, we field dress the deer. This is done by taking out the entrails, stomach, etc. It's done normally shortly after the kill in order to keep the meat from getting spoiled by the entrails. After that, you can go back to the truck or ATV and bring it back and haul it out that way, or you can just drag it out on foot. Then when you get back home is when butcher it up. Depending on the weather, you can leave it out a few days if you don't want to butcher it when you get home. That's just how I've always known to do it.

mostly what 757 said. It really depends on the situation. In this situation we walk to where we hunt. I only own 22 arces so not that far. once we have a kill we either field dress it right where we find it or if I plan on hunting in the same spot later I go back to my truck and get my four wheeler and haul the whole thing out and dress it out somewhere else. I then proceed to hang it up from a tree and leave hang if cold enough until I am done hunting for the weekend or skin it and quater it out put it coolers and ice it down if it is warm as it was this weekend in the 70s. I then take it to a processor and let them slice and package it. I use to do it all myself but time and lazy prohibits me anymore. I still cut up the backstraps as it only take a few minutes and it is the best part of the deer and you won't get them back from a processor.:smirk: