My first time on a track

Good advice , look forward , butt on seat , traction , rest when possible , stand to minimize bounce . Mouthguard to keep teeth from rattling , BREATHE !!!! ! Relax ..... Enjoy and be safe out there !......

I stepped up my game at the track this past Sunday. Was on the WR400.
I finally manned-up enough to send it for the first time on this step-up I've been working on.
Once I did it I realized that all the previous nearly-sent trips up that ramp were just a huge waste of time and energy.
I shoulda just manned up enough to start with. It would've been way easier.
Then I just repeated that the whole day, probably went over that jump 30 times afterwards. Trying to work it into the corner before and after it for a smooth run.

Which leads to my next question;
1 - I need a new front tire, one with lots of side-grip for the track. Is there much noticeable difference between brands?
Also what pressure is good here? I was at 15, but am thinking I should drop it to 11 or so?

Last edited:
I've tried all different front and rear, and best I can tell is, new is better regardless of brand. I run 12psi in both just about everywhere but rocks then I drop it down to 9.
Clearing the jumps is always easier than coming up short! Sweet spot feels like you never even left the ground

Really depends , your weight. ! Type of track , soft , rock hard , sandy too much air , washout. ! Too soft , pinched tube , bent rim .., Dunlop has good rubber , lots of tread types , just shop around ...

Depends on you and the bike. I loved Kenya Carlsbads on my KX250. They sucked on my RM250 though. Bought Maxxis front and backs. Best tire I ever owned.

I would start with the Dunlop MX51 if I were you though.

Depends on you and the bike. I loved Kenya Carlsbads on my KX250. They sucked on my RM250 though. Bought Maxxis front and backs. Best tire I ever owned.

I would start with the Dunlop MX51 if I were you though.
That is where I was leaning, the MX52 is what they have now I think...
I did more of the 'look-forward go forward' thing last weekend and it worked out for the better. I accidentally jumped ruts but didn't wipe out so that was cool.
There were also 2 times when I should've crashed when my front tire flip-flopped on me after coming down the landing ramp on the step-up I was working on, which is why I want a new tire with more grip. I was heavy on the front brake though.

That is where I was leaning, the MX52 is what they have now I think...
I did more of the 'look-forward go forward' thing last weekend and it worked out for the better. I accidentally jumped ruts but didn't wipe out so that was cool.
There were also 2 times when I should've crashed when my front tire flip-flopped on me after coming down the landing ramp on the step-up I was working on, which is why I want a new tire with more grip. I was heavy on the front brake though.
Why heavy on the front brake?

Yeah it can get powdery. Slippery too.
I dropped my front tire pressure last weekend to 11psi, big difference there. Was at 17.
I'm gonna look for the 51.