Mouthgaurds?

Mouth gaurd MX

• Total voters
i voted yes on the poll. The reason i voted yes is because in chat YD said he brakes his braces when he goes to the track.... So i would say there is a need for one in this situation. Now that dont mean i think he should get the hi-tech ones like in that article that will actually improve performance but if he can get use to using a 15 dollar one and it protects his braces i say go for it. Now if you were big time into racing and you are making a push at becoming pro or something then i would say sure go for the hi tech one.

I have had braces on 2 years now(full set, top and bottom), never had an issue riding, although i have busted like 5 brackets eating beef jerkey, carrots, candy and other things im not supposed to... :smirk:

I have had braces on 2 years now(full set, top and bottom), never had an issue riding, although i have busted like 5 brackets eating beef jerkey, carrots, candy and other things im not supposed to... :smirk:

well there you go YD... you just need to stop EATING when you ride :P

:pout: Whyyyyyyyyy

:smirk:

I bite down hard when I ride, I get arm pump of the jaw :noidea:

have you ever played a sport that required a mouth guard? they suck, makes breathing like twice as hard, makes you salivate a ton and is just bad in general... I remember guys in wrestling with braces had to wear top and bottom mouth guards to keep them from bleeding all over the mat when their faces were smashed...:shocked:

have you ever played a sport that required a mouth guard? they suck, makes breathing like twice as hard, makes you salivate a ton and is just bad in general... I remember guys in wrestling with braces had to wear top and bottom mouth guards to keep them from bleeding all over the mat when their faces were smashed...:shocked:

nah I never had one before, but oww :shocked:

well I say yes, I have myself come up short and cased a jump before and hit my chin on the bar pad. Close call :prof: I have seen some bad accidents where others have done the same. I have also seen some of the pros using them. Must be a reason :noidea: I, being an ex-boxer had to constantly wear one and as far as breathing goes, if your breathing correctly its....in through nose and out through the mouth. They don't hinder you when you breathing. I am pretty sure you get just as winded in boxing as you do in riding. I have been considering one for myself if I can ever get my bike to leave the ground. :smirk:

Actually it's proven fact that police officers that chew gum during shooting quals actually shoot better. I suppose it would be about the same as wearing a mouth piece if you chew on it. Another way to build Cardio would be to wear a mouth piece like the MMA fighters wear. A top and bottom in one, because it restricts breathing during practice then wear a single piece during a race to breathe easier. just a thought. Another way to look at it is chicks don't like dudes with busted grills..

James

Staff member
The other is a jock strap :noidea: Without the cup, big diffrence.
:shocked: We're talking about motocross and not football right?

I wear these, takes care of that issue. :thumb:
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/2012-FOX-TITAN-SPORT-SHORTS/?id=119415

Or these, much cheaper then the Fox ones but they offer no padding and you'll feel it when you take the gas cap to the nuts. :cry:
http://www.target.com/p/Men-s-C9-by...Stretch-Boxer-Brief-2-Pack-Black/-/A-12228546
The reason i voted yes is because in chat YD said he brakes his braces when he goes to the track....
:confused: How are you (YD) breaking your braces while riding?
Actually it's proven fact that police officers that chew gum during shooting quals actually shoot better
:thumb: I chew gum while riding, but it's more to combat cotton mouth.

One time when I crashed my upper teeth were behind my lower teeth and and one of my lower teeth was knocked sideways by my upper teeth (hope that makes sense). I put it right back into place and was really careful with it(did not bite with it), a year later it still is looser than the other, but at least it hasn't died. I have a dental assistant friend, she said I may lose the tooth prematurely when I'm older because of the trauma to the tooth. But yeah, I want to be pretty and have all my teeth ha!

There is some type of concussion a mouth guard may help lessen the effect of, and avoiding jaw joint problems is always a plus too.

well I say yes, I have myself come up short and cased a jump before and hit my chin on the bar pad. Close call :prof: I have seen some bad accidents where others have done the same. I have also seen some of the pros using them. Must be a reason :noidea: I, being an ex-boxer had to constantly wear one and as far as breathing goes, if your breathing correctly its....in through nose and out through the mouth. They don't hinder you when you breathing. I am pretty sure you get just as winded in boxing as you do in riding. I have been considering one for myself if I can ever get my bike to leave the ground. :smirk:
:thumb: Hey Jax, I didn't know you boxed! Good info, both you and Broc gave me some new found ideas on them :thumb:
Actually it's proven fact that police officers that chew gum during shooting quals actually shoot better. I suppose it would be about the same as wearing a mouth piece if you chew on it. Another way to build Cardio would be to wear a mouth piece like the MMA fighters wear. A top and bottom in one, because it restricts breathing during practice then wear a single piece during a race to breathe easier. just a thought. Another way to look at it is chicks don't like dudes with busted grills..

:shocked: We're talking about motocross and not football right?

I wear these, takes care of that issue. :thumb:
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/2012-FOX-TITAN-SPORT-SHORTS/?id=119415
Or these, much cheaper then the Fox ones but they offer no padding and you'll feel it when you take the gas cap to the nuts. :cry:
http://www.target.com/p/Men-s-C9-by...Stretch-Boxer-Brief-2-Pack-Black/-/A-12228546

:confused: How are you (YD) breaking your braces while riding?

:thumb: I chew gum while riding, but it's more to combat cotton mouth.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell got into him, he's been acting funny lately :noidea: A mouth gaurd does seem like a good idea though. To answer your question, my top teeth come down on the lower brackets when I case/flat land, and knock them off. Also biting so hard I pop wires

:thumb: Hey Jax, I didn't know you boxed! Good info, both you and Broc gave me some new found ideas on them :thumb:

Yeah, I don't know what the hell got into him, he's been acting funny lately :noidea: A mouth gaurd does seem like a good idea though. To answer your question, my top teeth come down on the lower brackets when I case/flat land, and knock them off. Also biting so hard I pop wires

Have you considered having your jaws wired shut? :prof: Just an idea ! :smirk:

You know, you can go to wally world and by a cheapo and try it out. If it doesn't completely kill you to wear it,,,then go out and spend a little squish and get one that forms to your teeth. I used to use the kind you mix up a solution and pour into a blank mouth piece and then bite down and wait for a few minutes. It will form around your teeth and be and exact form. It will be way more comfortable and it will stay in place.

You know, you can go to wally world and by a cheapo and try it out. If it doesn't completely kill you to wear it,,,then go out and spend a little squish and get one that forms to your teeth. I used to use the kind you mix up a solution and pour into a blank mouth piece and then bite down and wait for a few minutes. It will form around your teeth and be and exact form. It will be way more comfortable and it will stay in place.

I'm thinking that would be a mess with the braces...........:shocked: