Mooney's big adventure!

Well, KTM Rack has been after me to start a thread on my up coming "adventure". So here goes.
About a 6 weeks ago I got a hair up my butt and thought I wanted to do some adventure touring. Told the wife I was going to sell the Ducati and by a new bike. This in it's self wasn't hard as she saw the Ducati as a tire hog, needing new skins every 1200 miles or so. So when I came home with a Kawasaki KLR 650 she just about dropped over backwards. "What the hell is that?" " Your going to ride it for a month and hate, I know you!!" Yeah, yeah, what ever.
So now for the trip
Saturday the 18th I'm heading to Moab UT to do the White Rim Trail, Monument Valley, Arches, and anything else I can find that looks do able between Clovis Ca and Moab UT. I've got 9 days and plan on putting the ruin on at least one rear tire!
Heading from Clovis through Yosemite to Ely NV, then on to Moab UT, the second. Planning on 3 or 4 days in the Moab area and heading back through Bryce Canyon and Zion. Camping the whole trip. (at least so far). Have bought panniers, and I hope ,everything else I will need for the trip. I've done a couple of "test runs" with the bike loaded and feel pretty comfortable with the additional weight of all the gear.
So there you have it.
KTM Rack it's up.
Let the poking begin!
I've pretty much heard all the KLR jokes from my Ducati friends!!!
Still got the KTM though!

Your trip hasnt even started and Im already :drool: at the thought of a trip like that! Moab is on my bucket list. I've been invited several times and it just hasnt worked out for me yet. I look foward to the ride report, pretty please? I agree with the wife's reaction, those are funky looking bikes especially loaded down, but serves purpose!

I forget who posted that great RR at cough, cough, but it was so cool because he updated everyday via wireless internet. Any chance of that? As if you want to take time out of each day to do that kind of crap:banghead: well it would be nice :rolleyes:seeing as none of us get to go:D

Have fun and safe travels!

I will try to keep the event posted as I travel, probably through KTM Rack. I'm really going to try and stay off the "net" as much as possible. Work has a BAAAADDD habit of finding me. There is already talk of a "emergency" meeting in Denver next week that could push things back. :(

Sounds like a fun trip Mooney! I rode an event in Ely and I love that town. Some nice scenery up there. I hear you on the Duc eating tires, but a KLR650? My neighbor bought one and man that thing is......Big!

Look forward to the updates and ride safe!

Sounds like a fun trip Mooney! I rode an event in Ely and I love that town. Some nice scenery up there. I hear you on the Duc eating tires, but a KLR650? My neighbor bought one and man that thing is......Big!

Look forward to the updates and ride safe!
Yeah, down 80+ hp, and up a few lbs, and it ain't even red! It does take the whole pressure of having "chicken strips" showing away though!:lol:

You can attach this and Rack can run Monkey and do all the picture taking and posting along the way...

gpsc6-05.JPG

Sounds totally awesome. With proper planning you could do a *lot* of dirt road riding between California and Moab. The downside is the time that would burn. Perhaps a combo of freeway/highway with dirt stretches here and there to cover the miles faster.

I wish I could take time off like that. What I just had to do to get a single week off makes a trip like your seem impossible for me. Maybe I'll have to buy some lotto tickets. Yea that's it.

Good luck and have fun. It is sure to be an adventure.

Mooney! Sounds like a great trip! I've been coast to coast on road bikes solo and part of the best piece of the trip is planning it! Do your research and find everything you want to see and the best places to stay or camp!

Sounds like a ton O' fun!:thumb: