Mojave Memorial RR and R&R

This place needs a ride report … you know, words AND pics? If there’s no pics, it’s just blah, blah, :blah:

A ride in the Mojave with this particular trail boss and you have to be ready for anything … he’s a dang trials rider. Decided to go reverse on a trail usually taken top to bottom. Seems you forget about the times going down when you think … “I’d sure hate to have to go back up this section”.

The orange is here ... 13 yr. old to 60-something. One blue against three of a kind.

11.jpg

Where we came from...

06.jpg

Where we are going...

05.jpg

At 13 yrs. old, involved with trials, the boy has some serious skills. Nice little tech ridge ahead.

15.jpg

After doing this super-long rocky-then-sandy downhill, Trail Boss spins around and holds a clinic on how to go back up.

16.jpg

Going up…

17.jpg

Still going up...

21.jpg

After the next set of ridges, Trail Boss is the first casualty with a broken rear valve stem and has to bail.

19.jpg

Two of us decide to finish this trail off. We both have been down it numerous times but never up … possible mistake. In the next couple miles, gravity wins and there is more than one time a bike decides to take a nap on an ugly step-up. Even a yucca encounter… :cry:

62.jpg

After one particularly amusing off-camber section, I lost my buddy for a while so I go back. He claims that he was minding his own business when this big rock suddenly jumps out in front of him and smashes his foot. Of course I believe him. He says it feels just like the three other times he broke that same foot … three? Oh well, game over, back to the staging area.

Possible fracture?

23.jpg

Legends of the Climb (George and Vic). George is the oldest rider in this galaxy. I read about his parents in Clan of the Cave Bear. Still riding and he’s in his 90’s. :thumb:

26.jpg

Vic’s nasty Hayabusa with the billet pine kick stand.

22.jpg

George’s present sled. I even threw in a pic of a pic of him in the same place a while back.

24.jpg

80.jpg

I spoke to Mr Kim a few years ago, George was sleeping.
I told him back in the Mid 70's he taught me along with another guy
out of Bakersfield named Bill Void how to climb. I had not seen any of
them since the 1984. Timeless men.