Mammoth, Rubicon, Deer Valley, Slick Rock, Pismo Beach

What a vacation! It looks like you did it all. Those are some hardcore trails you went on. How many miles in a day? Or was it even a mile:smirk: Im just teasin ya! It is impressive :hail:and fun to watch people navigate their trucks through stuff like that. I know it takes some skills and nerve.

That scenery is to die for. What fun, Great report!:thumb:
Great vacation yes, did it all no! Hopefully this winter I will finally do a "do it all" trip....snowboard in the morning, ride/wheel in the afternoon, surf the sunset sets (I've been saying it for years....maybe this will be the one!) I didn't clock the mileage on my GPS. Mostly used it for knowing what obstacle I am on, or where camp is. The Rubicon Trail is roughly 20 miles give or take (different sources state different mileage). We went from Loon Lake->Buck Island Lake the first day (long day), Buck->Rubicon Springs the second (short day, mileage wise but roughly the same amount of time), Springs to Lake Tahoe the 3rd day. Deer Valley and Slick Rock total for 7/8 miles which took us roughly 6 hours to complete. I wouldn't say these trails are extremely hardcore, at least in comparison to johnson valley or fordyce. They are pretty consistent with difficulty unlike the trails down here (few sections of waterfalls or rock gardens), and just a different type of wheeln all around. 3 of the rigs with us had open differentials up front and they still made it through with minimal difficulties.Now Clawhammer out in Johnson Valley which is about .25 miles long took us about 6 hours! Granted it was blazing hot, and we had some problems with my buddies 4runner who busted a CV (the worst trail axle swap ever). Strangely enough wheeln helps me ride better, and riding helps me wheel better. Skills, nerve, and patience yes. But like anything if you work at it hard enough it becomes second nature :banana:

Have a peak for yourself
rubicon.jpg

I almost forgot! The trip started out with a great surprise. While minding my own business cruising up the 395 near Adelanto I stumbled into Big Dan who was pretty "rugged" from the night before. There was a pretty nasty fire on the 15 pass which closed down the fwy forcing Dan to crash in his truck :rant: We exchanged some words, enjoyed a cigarette :devil: and went about our ways. Dan, I am ready to ride...just say when:ride:!

Great vacation yes, did it all no! Hopefully this winter I will finally do a "do it all" trip....snowboard in the morning, ride/wheel in the afternoon, surf the sunset sets (I've been saying it for years....maybe this will be the one!) I didn't clock the mileage on my GPS. Mostly used it for knowing what obstacle I am on, or where camp is. The Rubicon Trail is roughly 20 miles give or take (different sources state different mileage). We went from Loon Lake->Buck Island Lake the first day (long day), Buck->Rubicon Springs the second (short day, mileage wise but roughly the same amount of time), Springs to Lake Tahoe the 3rd day. Deer Valley and Slick Rock total for 7/8 miles which took us roughly 6 hours to complete. I wouldn't say these trails are extremely hardcore, at least in comparison to johnson valley or fordyce. They are pretty consistent with difficulty unlike the trails down here (few sections of waterfalls or rock gardens), and just a different type of wheeln all around. 3 of the rigs with us had open differentials up front and they still made it through with minimal difficulties.Now Clawhammer out in Johnson Valley which is about .25 miles long took us about 6 hours! Granted it was blazing hot, and we had some problems with my buddies 4runner who busted a CV (the worst trail axle swap ever). Strangely enough wheeln helps me ride better, and riding helps me wheel better. Skills, nerve, and patience yes. But like anything if you work at it hard enough it becomes second nature :banana:

Have a peak for yourself
rubicon.jpg

I almost forgot! The trip started out with a great surprise. While minding my own business cruising up the 395 near Adelanto I stumbled into Big Dan who was pretty "rugged" from the night before. There was a pretty nasty fire on the 15 pass which closed down the fwy forcing Dan to crash in his truck :rant: We exchanged some words, enjoyed a cigarette :devil: and went about our ways. Dan, I am ready to ride...just say when:ride:!

Interesting, I always thought the Rubicon was like 80 miles long:lol: Boy, I was way off! I guess you cant compare JV with Rubicon. Completely different in my book, that's for sure. Nice map:thumb: It is so time consuming getting all those vehicles through stuff like that. My ADD would kick in after the 3rd or so vehicle, and I would probably walk off to catch a lizard or have a safety meeting of some kind:lol:
Yep, that is the Cali dream. Ski/dirt bike/surf all in the same day! There used to be some event where they did just that. So you ran into to "Rugged Dan" huh? How funny! How did you know it was him? You recognized him from pics at this site? Small world indeed!

Round Up? Sure glad we missed out on the traffic! We only saw a few other rigs on the trail and had every camp spot to ourselves! We saw a group of built buggies (prepping for stampede) pass us. They managed to make it from loon to the springs and BACK in the time it took us to go one mile :lol:. During the week, after a major weekend/event (cantina i believe) worked out perfectly for us IFS guys. Sure could have used a crawlbox to make it even slower though :devil::smirk: I could have spent days at the springs, it so nice down there. The caretakers are some cool peeps too, very informative and friendly. I think next time I will make a 4/5 day trip out of it. Wouldn't mind camping at spider lake, then buck, then the springs for 2 days. Have a good time working :wink:.

Yup. Got in Thursday night. Ran back out and back in Cadillac real quick Friday morning before the madness showed up. I decided to leave Saturday night so I could see my wife and kids a bit on Sunday. Left the springs about 10:30/11 Saturday night. Got to my truck about 12:30 and then hit the road about 4:30. I was home before 10am Sunday. Just talked to the boss and he left the springs about 9am and didn't get home until about 2 am This morning. :lol:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Thanks so much rivithead, you made my day! I couldn't believe it was you! Good times. Lets ride, mikey broke in his KDX200 last weekend. -DAN

Yup. Got in Thursday night. Ran back out and back in Cadillac real quick Friday morning before the madness showed up. I decided to leave Saturday night so I could see my wife and kids a bit on Sunday. Left the springs about 10:30/11 Saturday night. Got to my truck about 12:30 and then hit the road about 4:30. I was home before 10am Sunday. Just talked to the boss and he left the springs about 9am and didn't get home until about 2 am This morning. :lol:
Sounds like a good long weekend! Just saw you guys raised $13,085.15 for the RTF?! That is fucking awesome! While it might be considered work for you...thank you for your (and Marlin Crawler) time put into this event helping keep the Rubicon open for years to come!

Thanks so much rivithead, you made my day! I couldn't believe it was you! Good times. Lets ride, mikey broke in his KDX200 last weekend. -DAN
Anytime man:thumb:! What are the chances?! Did that "knocking" go away after getting broken in? School just started up again, but I have fridays off. Hit me up whenever you wanna head out!

Sounds like a good long weekend! Just saw you guys raised $13,085.15 for the RTF?! That is fucking awesome! While it might be considered work for you...thank you for your (and Marlin Crawler) time put into this event helping keep the Rubicon open for years to come!

We had a great turn out this year and every really stepped up and made a ton of great donations for the trail.
I only call it work so my wife can't get mad at me for going out and goofing around on the trail. :smirk: :lol: Might have 1 more "work" trip this year on Dusy. That one's always fun..

We had a great turn out this year and every really stepped up and made a ton of great donations for the trail.
I only call it work so my wife can't get mad at me for going out and goofing around on the trail. :smirk: :lol: Might have 1 more "work" trip this year on Dusy. That one's always fun..
How rigs many showed up? The Dusy is another one on the bucket list....but not till I "slap" a 3-link SA up front. Be sure to post up a RR about that one, or at least share a link for it!