Made some mods to the trailer

James

Staff member
Here's how it looked when I got it.

2012-04-20_09-30-05_576-jpg.7601

Has lots of room, however getting bikes strapped down and gear "stowed" proved to be a challenge. No wheel chocks, tie down hooks, open sides, etc tends to have it's disadvantages. :bonk:

So after a little brainstorming, decided to make it a 3 bike trailer.
  • Add an enclosed area upfront for gear/gas/etc
  • 3 wheel chocks behind that
  • Add wavy bars all around for unlimited tie down options.

:ride: :thumb:

Still needs primer/paint and an extra support brace for the middle chock.

open-trailer-mods.jpg

In hindsight I wish I would've made the center support piece a bolt on piece. That way if you ever need the full trailer all you'd have to do is remove a few bolts. Isn't hindsight just great? :rant:

That is clever James and I like the steel along the top for tie down options. I just drilled some holes in mine and put eye bolts in several locations along the steel lip at the bottom. Did you do the fabricating and welding?

James

Staff member
That is clever James and I like the steel along the top for tie down options. I just drilled some holes in mine and put eye bolts in several locations along the steel lip at the bottom.
I'd thought about doing that but then couldn't decide on where to put them. That's when the wavy bar idea came in, sure it weighs a tad more but not enough to make that much of a difference.
Did you do the fabricating and welding?
Don't have access to tools/equipment needed for something like this so had to out source it. Was only $80 in labor and $90 in parts. :noidea:

:thumb: Looks good. Not sure about the wave bars for tie downs. does not seem strong enough for bikes and could crack over time and then you will see a bike bouncing down the fwy.:shocked:

I'd thought about doing that but then couldn't decide on where to put them. That's when the wavy bar idea came in, sure it weighs a tad more but not enough to make that much of a difference.

Don't have access to tools/equipment needed for something like this so had to out source it. Was only $80 in labor and $90 in parts. :noidea:
That is a great deal on parts and labor. I bought that extruded metal for my little trailer I use now and it was not cheap and then I did the cutting and welding. Your $80 in labor seems very reasonable. :thumb:

James

Staff member
:thumb: Looks good. Not sure about the wave bars for tie downs. does not seem strong enough for bikes and could crack over time and then you will see a bike bouncing down the fwy.:shocked:
Thanks.

Not too worried about the wavy bar, it's a 1/2" bar welded both sides at every "dip". I'd be more concerned about the crossbar not holding up. :noidea:

James

Staff member
It would be cheaper than plane fair. :noidea:
Uh, not really.

Round trip from Elkhart, IN to Los Angeles, CA is ~4,224 miles. At 20 MPG (this is on the high side) that's ~211 gallons. 211 gallons at $3.89 is $821.

Since it's a ~34 hour drive on way, better add in a hotel. You'd be looking at ~$1,000 to get there and back. My last plane fare to Fresno, CA was $500 something. :noidea: