South LPNF on fire and likely done for the season.

As of late yesterday afternoon, fire not nearly as active but is punking around up high on the south side of Frazier Mountain, I'm thinking in the vicinity of Miller Jeep trail, Snowy, Piru, Arrastra and Whatta, etc. This is gonna burn for a while I think while the forest service dicks around with it. When you guys come up to ride however, there is still stuff up here I can take you to. :banana:
:thumb: I have 100 oz water pack, let's ride now and we can help them put it out. :smirk:

Containment is at 70% this morning and it looks like they are expecting to get the fire 100% contained on Monday afternoon. With all the wind, I'm kind of amazed that they pulled this off. East Frazier and the first few miles of Tejon look to be the only trails involved in the fire. Hopefully we are not locked out for too long.

Ok, so here is the final tally from the Forest service and Kern County fire. Trails that are closed indefinitely:

East Frazier
Whatta
Tejon
Long Dave
Arrastra
Gold Hill
Grassland
Sterling
Coyote

This is as of 5/23/13. Let's see how long. My bet is until next year.

Ok, so here is the final tally from the Forest service and Kern County fire. Trails that are closed indefinitely:

East Frazier
Whatta
Tejon
Long Dave
Arrastra
Gold Hill
Grassland
Sterling
Coyote

This is as of 5/23/13. Let's see how long. My bet is until next year.

Big bummer!

The fire is still actively being worked and they don't want anyone getting in the way. In an other couple of week or two that should completely wind down. The burned over trails will be closed for a year or three, but I'm hoping that the non burned stuff opens this year.

The fire is still actively being worked and they don't want anyone getting in the way. In an other couple of week or two that should completely wind down. The burned over trails will be closed for a year or three, but I'm hoping that the non burned stuff opens this year.
Not sure Carl, but think other stuff to the West is open. Definitely on the North side they are open.
BTW, Frazier Mtn. Rd. on the top of the mountain was closed but was supposed to reopen yesterday.

Not sure Carl, but think other stuff to the West is open. Definitely on the North side they are open.
BTW, Frazier Mtn. Rd. on the top of the mountain was closed but was supposed to reopen yesterday.

SOunds like we need to plan a ride on some of those special trails you speak of, Im ready! Lets set a date before more burns.

You had better hurry. It's smoky on my backyard with a light dusting ash (again). Falling ash it's a SoCal snowfall.

I've seen plenty of big fires, but not at this time of year.

Back to the original topic... Is any of more of the mountain open again. Is the road to Chuchupate open and beyond there to the top? Hey look what I found on this internet thing.

I'm thinking that Bruce is talking about the Tecuya ridge trails. Few other than locals ever ride those. I've only tried them once.

There is always Snowy, Piru Creek, Lockwood and Miller Jeep for the adventurous.

May 24, 2013​
MT. PINOS RANGER DISTRICT
(661) 245-3731
Subscribe to this feed
The conditions listed below can change rapidly, especially with inclement weather. Therefore, it is recommended that visitors to the forest contact the Ranger District Office which is nearest to their destination for the very latest information. The National Weather Service is a good resource for information about current and predicted weather!
OHV ROUTES/MOTORCYLCE TRAILS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO THE GRAND FIRE:
  • East Frazier (120)
  • Tejon (122)
  • Long Dave (123)
  • Gold Hill (124)
  • Whata (131)
  • Arrastra (121)
OPEN CAMPGRUNDS
Chucupate Campground, Kings Campground, Dutchman Campground, Ballinger, Chula Vista (walk-in), Campo Alto, Reyes Creek, Aliso, Dome Springs, Valle Vista, Toad Springs, Bear Trap, Caballo, Cherry Creek, Plieto Creek, Marian, Cedar Creek, Cottonwood, Fishbowls, Halfmoon, Little Mutau, Nettle Springs, Pine Springs, Salt Creek, Sunset, Thorn Meadows.

You had better hurry. It's smoky on my backyard with a light dusting ash (again). Falling ash it's a SoCal snowfall.

I've seen plenty of big fires, but not at this time of year.

Back to the original topic... Is any of more of the mountain open again. Is the road to Chuchupate open and beyond there to the top? Hey look what I found on this internet thing. I need to all the ranger station to be sure, but I think that is the extent of the closures, thank God. Yes I am talking about Tecuya Ridge. Stuff you can do in a day or two, but beautiful and cooler riding for the summer.

I'm thinking that Bruce is talking about the Tecuya ridge trails. Few other than locals ever ride those. I've only tried them once.

There is always Snowy, Piru Creek, Lockwood and Miller Jeep for the adventurous.

Gonna need to call the ranger station to make sure, but am pretty sure that is the extent of the closures. Yes it is Tecuya ridge I am talking about. It can be done in a day or two, but still is beautiful and cooler mountain riding. I like the fact that it is not crowded also.

I agree with you on the fires. Don't ever remember such a rash of early season fires. We didn't have this many all of last year as we have had so far. Plenty of nickel size ash on the way home yesterday.

Gonna need to call the ranger station to make sure, but am pretty sure that is the extent of the closures. Yes it is Tecuya ridge I am talking about. It can be done in a day or two, but still is beautiful and cooler mountain riding. I like the fact that it is not crowded also.

I agree with you on the fires. Don't ever remember such a rash of early season fires. We didn't have this many all of last year as we have had so far. Plenty of nickel size ash on the way home yesterday.

Lets do this!! SOON!!:hifive:

I rode Silverwood Saturday for the very first time. It was really not bad at all. I expected it to be boring. We only did the easy stuff, even though some of the climbs were black diamond I didnt think they were THAT hard. I was told they do get much harder further up the mountain. I look foward to going back again and riding more of it. Man oh man was it hot. I was wet from sweat just gearing up! Thank god for a nice break at the creek.

OK, back to topic....